Author Topic: purslove family  (Read 5824 times)

Offline danjac2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: purslove family
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 14:06 BST (UK) »
it is -- it is the way i worded it!! sorry!! bad habit of mine - i know what i mean but no-one else does!

i am looking for the father (and mother if possible) of jlp born 1801.

sorry about the confusion and thanks again for your help
linda

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 21:30 BST (UK) »
As I think I have indicated, the father of John Lambert Purslove baptised in 1801 was John Purslove.  The mother was Jane.  There is no indication in the record of baptism that he was anything other than John Purslove.  That does not mean that he wasn't named John Lambert Purslove.  However the only marriage record to be found is for John Peacock Purslove.  The name is not that common - I think you may have to re-examine the evidence and adopt a flexible approach.   :)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 22:32 BST (UK) »
Prerogative Court of Canterbury wills. Date the will was proved not necessarily close to the date of death

Will of John Peacock Purslove of Newington Butts Southwark , Surrey 15 June 1835 PROB 11/1848

Will of John Lambert Purslove, Cordwainer of No 22 Prospect Row Walworth , Surrey 15 March 1845 PROB 11/2014

Have you copies of these wills?

As well as John Lambert's death registration there is also one for Jane in Newington.

Deaths Dec 1844   
PURSLOVE  John Lambert     Newington  4 253

Deaths Sep 1844 
PURSLOVE  Jane     Newington  4 216   

http://www.pursglove.talktalk.net/Pursglove%20veriations/PursLOVEs.htm

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 23:03 BST (UK) »
1851 census HO107 1568 folio 102
22 Prospect Row Newington
John L Purslove 22 Head Married Boot and shoe maker Walworth Surrey
Eleanor Purslove 20 Wife Married Clandon Surrey
Clarinda Purslove 3 months Daughter Walworth Surrey
Clarinda Purslove 49 Mother Widow Ockham Surrey

1841 census HO107 1063/7 folio 37
Prospect Row Newington
John Peacock 40 Cordwainer not born Surrey
John Peacock 15 not born Surrey
Clarender Peacock 40  not born Surrey
Jane Peacock 65 not born Surrey
Caroline Papps 9 not born Surrey

Adult ages on the 1841 census, those over 15, usually rounded down to the nearest 5.
The error of Peacock for Purslove is not a mistake in the index, it appears on the census page itself.

Regards

Valda

Offline danjac2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 July 08 18:39 BST (UK) »

i don't know!
peacock was used as a middle name furher down the line (frederick peacock papps born 1871 kings cross to 'my' jlp) but lambert too was used in almost every generation i have come across so far!

thank you for the link to the purslove site. hannah daughter of john and jane was my ancestor who married harry/henry papps and had a son john lambert papps my 2xgreat grandfather. i cannot find a birth certificate for him anywhere and some of his siblings don't appear to have been registered either.
there is a registration for a john papps about that time but after checking it out it turned out to be another family .

thanks again for looking for me
linda

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 18 July 08 07:06 BST (UK) »
Civil registration began on 1st July 1837 so the older Papps children on the 1841 census would have been born before registration. The family is in Hammersmith on the 1841 census which at the time would have registered in Kensington registration district.

On the 1841 census George Papps was aged 9 months

Births Sep 1840 
Papps  George     Kensington  3 241

He doesn't appear on the 1851 census so if he died either of these death registrations is a possibility.

Deaths Mar 1841 
PAPPS  George     Kensington  3 190   
Deaths Jun 1841   
Papps  George     Kensington  3 181

John does not appear on the census with the family in 1841 but on the 1851 census his age is given as 12 (all children's births given as London on this census) which would fit this birth registration.

Births Sep 1839 
Papps  Male    Kensington  3 216

There is no corresponding death registration for a male in Kensington. Many registrations for babies just registered as male or female were for children who had died fairly shortly after their birth but some were for babies who did not. I have the birth registration for a 'male' in 1907 who went onto to be hale and hearty in his 80s. His parents later after the birth registration decided on the name Charles.

St Paul Hammersmith registers, or St Peters are not on the IGI and so it isn't possible to cross check the date of baptism for John Lambert Papps with this 'male' birth registration quarter.

The first child on the 1841 census Hannah aged 11 was not born Middlesex, but all others starting with Caroline aged 8 are, so the move from Newington seems to have occurred after the time of the birth of Clarenda Papps who died as a baby in 1832 and was the last child baptised in the Newington registers which are covered by the IGI.

Though John Lambert Papps moves his age about on later censuses his place of birth 1871 - Knightsbridge, 1881 Brompton is consistent with a birth registration in Kensington registration district, however purchasing any birth certificate without complete certainty is always a risk and any later death of this 'male' birth registration could have for instance been in a name i.e. the child's birth registered as male but an early death by then registered with the child in its given name or the child went onto a longer life in its given name which may or may not have been John Lambert Papps.

Regards

Valda

Offline danjac2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 18 July 08 14:49 BST (UK) »

i have had so much 'trounble' with this family!
it's one reason i thought i'd go back and see if i could find any links especially through the name but that has only made things worse!

never mind - i really do appreciate your help and advice.
thank you
linda

Offline storm20

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 August 10 00:17 BST (UK) »

1851 census HO107 1568 folio 102
22 Prospect Row Newington
John L Purslove 22 Head Married Boot and shoe maker Walworth Surrey
Eleanor Purslove 20 Wife Married Clandon Surrey
Clarinda Purslove 3 months Daughter Walworth Surrey, Married to Charles Bird,  :D
one of there sons, my Grand Father, Herbert Edward H BIRD, his son Francis James c BIRD ( NZ) :D

Clarinda Purslove 49 Mother Widow Ockham Surrey

1841 census HO107 1063/7 folio 37
Prospect Row Newington
John Peacock 40 Cordwainer not born Surrey
John Peacock 15 not born Surrey
Clarender Peacock 40  not born Surrey
Jane Peacock 65 not born Surrey
Caroline Papps 9 not born Surrey

Adult ages on the 1841 census, those over 15, usually rounded down to the nearest 5.
The error of Peacock for Purslove is not a mistake in the index, it appears on the census page itself.

Regards

Valda

Offline danjac2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 August 10 15:15 BST (UK) »
thank you for the info and your help. linda