Author Topic: Mcneeny's  (Read 1062 times)

Offline jethorp

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad Jimmy Whitehead. Sprinkled with pixie dust
    • View Profile
Mcneeny's
« on: Tuesday 15 July 08 19:58 BST (UK) »
I have always been aware that there might be a Romany/gypsy connection in my family on my maternal grandmothers side.However now I am more certain.My cousins son (who is not Irish) works for a lovely Irish family,who are in the travel industry,and recently he was in ireland on a coarse, I asked him to find out if the name Mcneeny was common over there.I haven't been able to trace any Mcneeny's other than my great grandmother Bridget,who is on the 1881/91 and 1901 census (Lancashire). She was born in Cork in 1854 and married in 1884 and died in 1912(Lancashire).
Anyway to get back to my querie, My Cousins son has now found out through asking many folk in many areas of Ireland that the Mcneeny's were traveling folk and the name is not that common nowadays.So if there are ANY mcneenys reading this Please get in touch I cannot believe I wont be able to follow this up it would be so disappointing.Thank you for reading this
Buckley: from Saddleworth. Nield: from Oldham,Whitehead:from Oldham,Kenworthy:from Oldham, Heaton; from Oldham & Mossley,Dyson: from Oldham,Sykes; from Oldham, Durkin; from Oldham/Ireland.Lucas; from, East Lulworth Dorset South Shields.Harvey; from South Shields/Oldham. Swan/Swann; from Oldham and the Midlands McNeeny; Ireland/oldham lancashire.
Furmage; Dorset. Marks; Dorset. Biles: Dorset. Milberry: Farnham Surrey.Shorts: Dorset. Shorts: Dorset.