Author Topic: Sedgley Hall, Staffordshire..help needed please!  (Read 12699 times)

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sedgley Hall, Staffordshire..help needed please!
« on: Wednesday 16 July 08 12:47 BST (UK) »
I have spent hours and hours searching the internet for information about Sedgley Hall, which was the home of our ancestors, the Jevon family in the 1600s. I am not having much luck! I've been told that the hall was demolished in the 1960s, to build a housing estate, which goes by the same name... is that right? I would love to find a picture or photograph of the hall, but again, can't find one anywhere.
Any information or ideas would be great. Thanks for reading this.

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Sedgley Hall, Staffordshire..help needed please!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 13:34 BST (UK) »
Have you seen this website?

http://www.sedgleymanor.com/index.html

It might not provide the answer but there are some contacts there who may be able to help.  Also a couple of Jevon researchers.

Michael
PIPE, CABLE, STANLEY, WATSON, East Anglia
BARTON, JUPP, WOOD, MUNN, PETERS, MARTIN, Kent & Sussex
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Derbyshire

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hiya Mew46

Your best bet is to contact Sedgley Archives

01384 812770

or another alternative if they cant help is the Black Country Bugle http://www.blackcountrybugle.co.uk/blackcountrybugle/

There is a copy of Sedgley Hall Farm sale catalogue on this site which might be interesting http://www.sedgleymanor.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4&page=2

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Dozey_Joy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 14:18 BST (UK) »
Had a quick look in the Birmingham A-Z and there's a park in Sedgley called Sedgeley Hall Park so I'm guessing that there's a connection to Sedgely Hall there. I think Sedgely now comes under Dudley Council so you could try Dudley Archives for this one as well. (See my answer to your query about Russell's Hall.)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Mew, Sedgley Hall Park is next to the Northway housing estate which is now privately owned houses built between late 1950's and mid 1970's.  You say the Hall was demolished in the 1960's, this ties in with when the houses were being built so this could be where the Hall was.

Theres a sketch map of the park and some recent pics here:

http://www.dudley.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/parks-and-open-spaces/the-parks-in-the-borough/sedgley-hall-farm-park-sedgley

Hope this helps a bit
Julie
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 July 08 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mew, I may have found what you are looking for.  There is a book called Britain in Old Photographs: Sedgley, Coseley and the Gornals, Author is Trevor Genge and it's published by Sutton Publishing Ltd.  This book is said to contain one photo entitled Sedgley Hall and another Sedgley Hall Site.  It's available to buy on amazon for £15, here's the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750926732/rowleyregison-21.  You may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

I found this information searching here http://www.blackcountryhistory.org.uk/default.aspx.  You have to wade through a lot of other stuff on here but if you want to have a look the quickest way to get to this is click on advanced search, tick Dudley box, then type Gornals in title box, you should only get 4 results.  Click on the record and it lists all photos in the book.  There's a link in FAQ to the Dudley Archives where you can view this record.

Hope you find what you want  :D

Julie

Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 July 08 15:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all of the help! I now have plenty to go on. Happy searching!

Offline littlemisstidy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 October 08 22:34 BST (UK) »
I know it is some time since you placed your message on Rootschat, but I am new to this site.  My maiden name is JEVON and I am eager to find any information about my family.  My Gt Gt Grandfather William Jevon was born in Sedgley in 1806 but I am having difficulty knowing exactly who his parents were.  I have found a sketch of Sedgley Hall plus a short article about the Jevon family in a book entitled The Ancient Manor of Sedgley.
Hoping you may hold further info.
littlemisstidy

Offline MickandAnn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 July 09 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hello.  My grandmother purchased Sedgley Hall Farm in 1910 and it was farmed by the Wooldridge family until 1960 when it was taken over by Dudley Council on a compulsary purchase order and knocked down to become Sedgley Hall Park.  We have many photos and a considerable amount of information which you may be interested in.  Your family were the first to farm at Sedgley Hall and ours were the last!