Author Topic: Russell Hall, Dudley...help needed please!!!  (Read 13407 times)

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Russell Hall, Dudley...help needed please!!!
« on: Wednesday 16 July 08 12:55 BST (UK) »
Has anyone heard of Russell Hall, somewhere near to Dudley please? Our ancestors, the Sutton Dudley family, owned this house during the 1600s.Thomas Sutton Dudley was born there in 1653, as was his father, Jeffrey. I haven't been able to find out much at all about the hall. Has anyone got any ideas as to where I could try next please? I live a long way from the area, and have health problems, so I am limited to the internet for my research.
Many thanks.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Russell Hall, Dudley...help needed please!!!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 13:37 BST (UK) »
there is an awful lot about the Dudley Suttons in Worcester,but they all seem to come from Dudley castle.....There is a locale called Russells hall....whether it's where your house was I don't know....will keep looking.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 13:45 BST (UK) »
Oh,I beginning to think Russell hall is in Kent,lots of stuff on Google has Dudley Suttons born Russell hall Kent..
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Dozey_Joy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 July 08 14:11 BST (UK) »
There is an area of Dudley called Russell's Hall.  In fact  Dudley hospital is called Russell's Hall.

You could try Dudley archives for information http://www.dudley.gov.uk/leisure-and-culture/local-history--heritage/archive-and-local-history

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 July 08 03:05 BST (UK) »
Have you seen these?

http://todmar.net/ancestry/sutton_main.htm
http://www.sedgleymanor.com/historical/dudley_castle_history.html

And Google book search has this:
The Sutton-Dudleys of England and the Dudleys of Massachusetts in New England By George Adlard

A very interesting family, the Dudleys!

Robert Dudley,  Queen Elizabeth I's favourite.
The Earl of Northumberland ~ who put Lady Jane Grey on the throne.
http://www.elizabethi.org/us/queensmen/robertdudley.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Dudley,_1st_Earl_of_Leicester
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline dudleylad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 August 08 21:33 BST (UK) »
Coming from just outside Dudley myself and working for the local council up until last year I can tell you the Russells Hall Estate and Russells Hall Hospital are built on what was once Russells Hall a stately home and grounds

Offline mew64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 August 08 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
thank you so much for all of the replies and information given. I am now sure that Russell Hall was once where the new estate and hospital are now. I have been told that there is a picture of the hall in a book about Sedgley, I am still trying to track a copy down. I would love to see an image of it. I wonder if it was derelict at the time of demolition.. I guess it must have been. The Sutton Dudleys are indeed a very interesting family to research, there is plenty to keep me going for a few years at least!
Thanks again for your interest and assistance.
Happy hunting everyone!

Offline Graveone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 June 09 10:27 BST (UK) »
Did you get an answer to this question? and did u find your photo. I live in dudley and on Russells Hall the info that you have so far is completely wrong.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 14 June 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,
  welcome to Rootschat....Now tell  all . ;D