Author Topic: RITCHIE-ROSEHEARTY  (Read 2283 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RITCHIE-ROSEHEARTY
« on: Wednesday 16 July 08 13:38 BST (UK) »
Help and advise wanted please on the following.

Maurice Leslie Roper Ritchie was born 16.10.1898 in South Africa. Cannot for love nor money get a copy of his birth record that was ordered and paid for over 8 months ago. It is said by the family that his father went to SA to fight in the BOER WAR  and that he was born in Rosehearty, Aberdeenshire. My research has only found a James Ritchie born 8.8.1863 in Rosehearty, illegitimate son of Jessie Ann Ritchie. Is anyone able to help me with this. In 1871 a James L(LESLIE??) Ritchie is living with a Jean Ritchie whom I suspect to be his mothers sister. Other than these facts know very little. Any help valued.

John

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RITCHIE-ROSEHEARTY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 08 11:04 BST (UK) »
For the avoidance of doubt, Rosemarkie or Rosehearty?
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 08 12:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry,
ROSEHEARTY, saw mistake a few moments ago.
John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 June 20 20:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have after 12 years reopened this post hoping new & further help might be available. As stated in original post the birth/baptism of Maurice has never been found in South Africa but as he died in the UK and we know his birthdate is correct. It is also recorded on Immigration as that date. One of Maurice's 4 sons,since died, said he really believed his grandfather was Leslie (Roper) Ritchie who was born in Rosehearty, later fought in the Boer wars and married a women from St Helena. So if there is a Leslie Roper Ritchie I suspect he was born c 1868 +/- 10 years. I have drawn blanks on everything I have tried.

Thanks

John