Author Topic: Coat of arms  (Read 6009 times)

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Coat of arms
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 July 08 15:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Siamese girl and Behind the frogs.
I do realise the implications of using crests and coats of arms but,if one looks at Roots Chat contributors,one finds many examples of these, including my own for the Malone family.Plaques detailing such devices can,of course, be bought, and are bought ,from various sources including the internet.These are included for fun and are not infringing anybodies rights.Most of them are,probably,spurious,but,who cares.
Best wishes and good hunting.
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 July 08 16:13 BST (UK) »
Within the UK and many European Countries you are in fact infringing the rights of the person entitled to tha Coat of Arms and could be taken to court.  Fortunately in the case of family Coats of Arms this is unlikely to happen. However if they are used by a commercial firm or by a family for commercial reasons you are on much more dangerous ground.

I have a case in my own family history at the end of the nineteenth century where a saddler was using a shield which belonged to a family in Yorkshire in the header of his invoices.  He received a solicitor's letter threatening to take him to court if he didn't remove the shield.  I presume that he did as requested and it wasn't taken any further. This was actually very fortunate for me because I only found an invoice in the record office because the solicitor's files had been deposited there.

David

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 July 08 16:45 BST (UK) »
Incidentally by an Act of 32 & 33 Victoria, section 19 all armorial bearings may be taxed whether such bearing, crest or ensign shall be registered at the College of Arms or not.
This by the way means that Rootschat may (though unlikely) be taxed for each and every armorial design displayed on the forum.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 July 08 16:48 BST (UK) »
Expect shortly (a) a sharp increase in tax income, or (b) a sudden change in avatars!  ;D

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 July 08 18:53 BST (UK) »
I'm sure our ancestors "borrowed" a crest and the accompanying arms because they had become rich enough to acquire silverware and it looked a bit plain without it!  ;D

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Stephen J F Plowman

• RootsChat Member
  • Still looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 April 09 10:15 BST (UK) »
Coats of Arms are awarded to an individual and are not ever ever for a surname or family.  They only pass from the recipient  to his elder son who on the death of the recipient has to apply to the College of Arms for them to be updated to his own.

It is not legal in the true sense of the word to use someone else's  Coats of arms.   You can check this out yoursel with the College of Arms and to the Lord Lyon for the Scottish Arms.

A slight correction if I may.  In English heraldry the Arms pass from the father to all his (legitimate) sons - no formal involvement from the College of Arms is required.  The eldest son inherits the Arms "undifferenced".  His younger brothers are meant to add a cadet mark to show their place in the family.  However, this is generally ignored in England.  In Scotland only the eldest son inherits the Arms as of right.  The younger brothers have to petition the Lyon Court for their own Arms.

Yours aye

Stephen
Plowman - Dorset
Gollop - Dorset
Taunton - Dorset
Carver - Norfolk
Oyns - all
Tweedy - all
Also British Heraldry (www.heraldry-online.org.uk)

Offline bean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 April 09 13:40 BST (UK) »
A slight correction if I may.  In English heraldry the Arms pass from the father to all his (legitimate) sons - no formal involvement from the College of Arms is required.  The eldest son inherits the Arms "undifferenced".  His younger brothers are meant to add a cadet mark to show their place in the family.  However, this is generally ignored in England.  In Scotland only the eldest son inherits the Arms as of right.  The younger brothers have to petition the Lyon Court for their own Arms.

and if the person with arms dies without issue but leaves ia will stating one of his niece's children must change his name by Royal Licence to inherit - would they be entitled to the arms?
i'm guessing not but thought i'd ask!

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 April 09 13:49 BST (UK) »

and if the person with arms dies without issue but leaves ia will stating one of his niece's children must change his name by Royal Licence to inherit - would they be entitled to the arms?
i'm guessing not but thought i'd ask!

They would have to apply to the College of Arms who would almost certainly insist on a difference being applied to the shield and crest.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 02 April 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everybody for their input on the above subject.
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.