Author Topic: William Brown approx. 1700  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Mervinbrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
William Brown approx. 1700
« on: Friday 09 April 04 19:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking for direction or advice on finding ancestors in Ireland.  From some old text here in the states, William Brown was a Presbyterian Minister who emmigrated to the Massachusetts, USA area shortly after 1700 (1702-1725).  These references state that William Brown was an "Ulster Scot", and had worked in linen factories in LondonDerry and Coleraine.  They also state that his wife's name was Martha Miller, but little else.  Any idea where to start or what data would be available to help in this search?  Many thanks!  Matt Brown

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: William Brown approx. 1700
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 December 04 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mervinbrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: William Brown approx. 1700
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 December 04 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for responding Ticker.  I have not learned anything new, the information I have comes from a book "Ulster Scots and Blandford Scouts" - and talks of William Brown coming to the States (probably Boston) around 1725 (possibly earlier, possibly a little later) and settling in Blandford, Mass.  His family lived in an area of devout Presbyterian Irish Scots. The referenced book states that William worked in a linen factory in Cholerane or Londonderry before coming to the states. Thanks!  Matt Brown