Author Topic: JOHNSON Family - Killamarsh  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Pat

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my
    • View Profile
JOHNSON Family - Killamarsh
« on: Thursday 17 July 08 07:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping someone can shed some light on our Johnson Family.
The following children were all born to Samuel Johnson and Edith Trussell between 1911 and 1921 in Killamarsh Derbyshire.. Samuel Kenneth, Edith, Frances May, Gladys Hilda, Beatrice and Ronald. 
We are unsure if Samuel and Edith married, but the children were all baptised under the name Johnson.
After Samuel Johnson's death in 1924, his daughter Beatrice was fostered by John Charles Oldale and his wife Ann of Sheffield. We would like to know what happened to the other children, and if any of their descendants are alive.
If any of the others were fostered out, they may have changed there name to that of there foster parents.

Any information on any of these people would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Pat.
Chesman Payne Dale Tooley Biggadike Hall - Lincolnshire.
Steward Howard - Norfolk
Johnson Trussell Tunstall - Derbyshire.
Edwards Oldale  - Yorkshire.

Offline Toddy49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHNSON Family - Killamarsh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,
My Grandmother was Gladys Hilda Johnson!! She was adopted too by a family in Sheffield. My mother says that it was all very private and although no mention was made of her other siblings she did keep some contact with her older sister Laura. My Grandmother sadly died in 2010 but had lived a very happy life in Sheffield and then Gloucestershire to be close to my mother.
I would be fascinated to hear about how the family got to Australia!!

Offline Pat

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 March 18 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
You cannot imagine how thrilled I am to hear from you.  I have been trying for years to connect with someone from this family.  Beatrice Johnson was my mother in law.  Unfortunately she died some years ago before I started on the family history.  I hope you don't mind me asking you some questions as we know absolutely nothing.  Beatrice always told her two boys that she was orphaned after her parents died in a car crash.  We don't know if she knew the truth or this is what she was told when she was fostered out.  Can you tell me if all the children were fostered as babies or at the time of their father's death in 1924?  Also, we have never been able to find a marriage for Samuel and Edith.  Do you know if they were married.  All of the children, except Laura (who I didn't know of) were baptized in Killamarsh in Derbyshire.
Beatrice married Norman Edwards in 1937 and they came to Victoria Australia in 1950 with their two boys.  Unfortunately the marriage didn't last and they split a couple of years later.   Their marriage certificate stated the surname Beatrice grew up with and also her original name.  Can you tell me anything about Samuel Johnson's family. I do know quite a bit about Edith.  Do you know anything about Laura?  I believe Frances May married a George Barker. Do you know how the people were chosen to take the children.  Were they given by their parents or were they taken by the authorities.  Do you know if all the children were taken from their parents?
Anything else you can tell me about the family would be most appreciated. 
Sorry for all the questions.  We have been trying to find out what happened for so long.
Cheers,
Pat.
Hi Pat,
My Grandmother was Gladys Hilda Johnson!! She was adopted too by a family in Sheffield. My mother says that it was all very private and although no mention was made of her other siblings she did keep some contact with her older sister Laura. My Grandmother sadly died in 2010 but had lived a very happy life in Sheffield and then Gloucestershire to be close to my mother.
I would be fascinated to hear about how the family got to Australia!!
Steward Howard - Norfolk

Offline Toddy49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 March 18 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat! This is very exciting! Unfortunately it sounds as though my grandmother was as discreet about her real family as Beatrice. I only found out her birth surname this week. She was adopted by a couple at the age of 8  who had no children and she was brought up as a Redmile. I have only just started looking into her family. I do know that on her birth certificate Edith is called Jonson but on her adoption document she is back to Trussell. I wonder whether she wasn't allowed to remarry if she had been previously married?
My grandmother was a secretary and then married my grandfather Eric Morrison who was an engineer. They had one daughter Margaret who was a radiographer wh married my father John Todd a haematologist. They had my sister Amanda a musician and me Sarah a teacher. Amanda has two daughters Megan and Helena and I have a 9 year old daughter Grace.
We'd love to know about your family. Beatrice sounds wonderful!

Offline Pat

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 March 18 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Have P.M. you, hope you get the info.  Can you tell me if you already had the adoption info for your Grandmother or you applied for it.  We have no idea if Beatrice was legally adopted or not.
Let me know if the other doesn't come through.

Cheers,
Pat
Steward Howard - Norfolk