Author Topic: Peckham/Worsley of Cranbrook, Kent  (Read 5977 times)

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peckham/Worsley of Cranbrook, Kent
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 19 July 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
Nikki

I am still looking at this.  :)

The first witness at the marriage of Frederick to Alice is A W Brunger. I think that the first squiggles are the initials of the vicar - simply initialling the crossing out.

I also notice that Frederick is quite a lot younger than Alice.  This makes me wonder whether we should be looking for an even younger Frederick. He may have increased his age on the certificate to reduce the difference between his age and that of his bride's.

I have not found any Frederick Peckham who fits with a 24 year old son of Robert in the 1901 census.

I still cannot find any of the Worsley family in 1901.  Might be worth checking whether they went abroad.

If Frederick Worsley and Frederick Peckham are the same man I wonder why Frederick gave his age as 24 at marriage?  Surely he would have given his real age (30)  which would make him much nearer his bride.s age?

I shall have a look at the 1901 census again looking for younger Frederick Peckhams.

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 July 08 22:49 BST (UK) »
I am told that Alice Brunger had a son Stanley Brunger, born 1918 before she married Frederick and had Reginald in 1920 and then his brother Robert in 1924.
Bucks - Chapman, Garnett, Munday, Smith, Hains, Field, Mayo, Glassington
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church
Northumberland - Back, Archbold, Elliot, Gibson, Thompson
Herts - March, Law, Adkins, Cooke, Grant
Sussex - Young, Saunders, Hayward, Bollard

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 July 08 23:43 BST (UK) »
Looking at it again, I'm wondering if the age of Frederick PECKHAM at the time of his marriage in 1920 should read 29 rather than 24 as I first thought ............... it's not too clear :-\

There is this family in 1901 at Sevenoaks though it looks to be very muddled if it is the correct one :-\

1901 in a coal shed at Sevenoaks

Robert PECKHAM head 50
May wife 50
Bert 24
Fred 22
George 16
Arthur 14/11/4?

RG13/747 folio 150 page 59

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Harnser

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 01:25 GMT (UK) »
I cannot add anything to the Peckham line but I have the Brunger line back to 1540 wi9th a good degree of accuracy

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi, i've been inspired to pick this quandary up again. I have found the family as Peckhams in the 1911 census and worsleys in the 1891 census so I think their name change occurred between these dates. This seems to rule out one of the men being a deserter.

1981 - tenterden
Robert Worsley 28 coachman and gardener b. Tenterden, Kent
Elizabeth h 29 wife b. Same as above
George  a 6
Arthur e 4 b. Goudhurst, Kent
Florence m 2
Frederick c 5m

1911 - 3 burnt house, hawley, dartford
Robert Peckham 45 widower farm labourer b. Den, Kent
Florence 20 b. Goudhurst, Kent
Frederick 21 farm labourer b. Sevenoaks, Kent
Herbert (son) 46?! Gen labourer b. Sevenoaks

More confusingly I have the older brother George married to Ellen weaver in 1908 as a Worsley and in the 1911 census as Peckhams. I have confirmed this marriage between George and ellen is correct through family sources. G and E are living with a younger brother Ezra Peckham aged 12, in dartford. So this was a new member of the family to investigate and sent me off on a new trail. Ezra Frank Peckham was born in Sevenoaks in 1899 and died in Dartford in 1920.
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 September 11 11:38 BST (UK) »
So in 1981 census the family were worsleys
In 1899 Ezra Peckham was born - I'm yet to get a birth certificate to prove he really was Roberts son but the 1911 census indicates this
In 1908 George was married as a Worsley
In 1911 the family were in the census as peckhams

I am yet to find the 1901 census entry although the closest I have found is the one listed above of Robert and may, however the ages are very out on this.

I am yet to find a death registration for Elizabeth Harriet (new dunster) who I know was born in tenterden in 1863 and married Robert Worsley in tenterden in 1884.

I know the family were in dartford where my husbands grandfather Ronald Arthur Peckham was born to Frederick Charles Peckham in 1920.

Any more help to find out why the name was changes or more about the family would be very greatly appreciated!

Nikki
Cambs - Turner, Alsop

Offline MargR

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 January 12 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi..Found your mention of Alice Mable Brunger,nickname "sis", b.1889  Interesting..She was the sister of my grandfather, Richard Albert..Their parents were Richard Orlando & MaryAnne (Taylor) Have recently made contact with other relatives in Kent, & we are sharing info...
Love to hear from you