Author Topic: Lady Ellisha Mathew  (Read 97480 times)

Offline ChrisPage

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Lady Ellisha Mathew
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 11:33 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey

I found the information when i had a free trial for the Gale Digital collections.

The date was 30th August 1864. Couple getting married were definitely my Gt Grandparents.
It said John Matthews Esq of Garville Avenue.
My Grandfather George's birth certificate gives 30 Garville Avenue as his place of birth and Williams dwelling place.

Would the marriage certificate give me much more information.
Christine
Mathew/Mathews - Tipperary
Matthews - Dublin
Langron - Dublin
Davies - Galway and Sligo
Doyle - Dublin and Wicklow
Trafford - Ireland ?

Page - Balham/Wandsworth
Champion - Clapham/Wandsworth
Lang - Guernsey
Pitcher - Guernsey

Docwra - Royston Hertfordshire/Chelsea London
Burgess - Chelsea and Pimlico
Hession - Mayo Ireland
Pateman - Litlington Cambridgeshire
Norman - Clerkenwell, Islington and Fulham

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 11:36 BST (UK) »
Marriage certificate will list name of bride and groom, marital status, whether or not of full age, their occupations, residences at time of marriage, names and occupations of their fathers, names of two witnesses, name of informant, place and date of marriage.
Will not list birthdate, birthplaces, mothers' names, addresses of informants.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wyseass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 18:55 BST (UK) »
I have access to The Times archive, and have found a few articles on Theobald and Lady Elizabeth.  However none as wonderful as her existence at the Royal Court, which is what I was looking for, so well done and thanks for that.
I have a copy of Fr. Theobald's biography somewhere (can't find it right now). It says that Theobald spent a lot of money on the promise that Elizabeth would honour his debts on her death and then he wasn't mentioned at all in her will leaving him in an awful state and in serious debt.
In a letter to the editor of the Times (17/12/1856) from Chabot, he states that he is a first cousin of Elizabeth and is unaware of any relationship between Elizabeth and Theobald!
Theobald also had a brother called Charles.

Wyseass
Mathews, Ballymena, Co. Antrim
Mathew, Thomastown, Co. Tipperary

Offline rymer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 September 08 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi wyseass

The Mathew title became extinct on the death of Francis (second earl) in 1833 and his brothers George and Montaqu - all died childless. Their sisters lived on in Tipperary and one of them inherited the estate, which is now a stud. My cousin Elisha and I are decent but there is no title - not now.

The Chabot/Mathews line is decent from Arnold Nesbit (soi-distant Earls of Llandaff) but Arnold is not decent from Elisha. You will find the link in http://everything2.com/node/1938560. Good luck.

Offline wyseass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 September 08 10:48 BST (UK) »
The Mathew title became extinct on the death of Francis (second earl) in 1833 and his brothers George and Montaqu - all died childless. Their sisters lived on in Tipperary and one of them inherited the estate, which is now a stud.
According to my records The 2nd Earl (Franicis) had an illegitimate son called Thomas James by his girlfriend Anne West in London. He was married to Gertrude LaTouche, from a famous Dublin banking family. 
Who were the sisters?  The only sister (daughter) at this time was Lady Elizabeth (Ellisha) and she was the one who inherited the estate, and then ignored her Irish relations by leaving it to Chabot.
Therre were a few estates owned in the Thurles area by different branches of the family. Although the stud farm in Golden is a part of the original estate, I think it went down a different branch of the family stemming from the illegitimate son (James) of the first Earl.  He would have been Father Theobald's father, so Theobald and his siblings were then legitimate.
(http://www.users.qwest.net/~butchmatt/Mathewhtml/notes.html)
Thanks for your help.

Offline nerys-wales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Mathew (not Mathews), Thomastown Castle, Tipperary - is extinct. Wades own the land and it's a stud farm. Also, I think you may be confusing Ellisha with Elisabeth. Nerys

Offline nerys-wales

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Further info on Mathew of Thomastown. Ellisha mentioned by rymer is Ellisha Spencer, possible named for Ellisha Mathew who married into the Wade family now owners of Thomastown castle stud. Elisabeth and Ellisha were cousins.

Offline wyseass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
You are right she was also known as Elizabeth.  The house (Thomastown Castle)is a wonderful ivy clad ruin.  I have some photos of it from last year.

Offline cmathews

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 December 08 11:19 GMT (UK) »
The information that I have verified is:
My Father was Cecil Peel Beresford Mathews 1931-1991
Grandfather Alfred Henry (born in Antrim) 1897-1951
Greatgrandfather Marcus Beresford 1862-1947
Great-great-grandfather Frederick Albert 1827-?
Great-great-great-grandfather Rev. Robert Mathews 1798-?

I just can't seem to fine a link between Robert and Elisha (Elizabeth).

This is my first post so please be kind :)

It looks as you and I are very much related, since your Grandfather (Alfred Henry Mathews a.k.a. 'Alty') and my Grandfather (Reginald Russell Mathews 1902-1966) were brothers !

I am stuck at the same position as you with good old Ellisha but I do have a photograph of an oil painting of the Rev. Robert (known as 'Blinking Bobby') and his wife.  As a child I did actually see these 2 portraits in the flesh but they were 'disposed of' after Reginald died - shock horror !

I also have information about Marcus Beresford Mathews (1862-1947) who was a Banker in Dublin, because a living relative of mine (in his 90's) used to live with him for a while in Dublin.

I have in my possession a silver salver given to Marcus when he left the bank - with a family crest and inscription on it.

If yo are interested in more details please make contact.

Happy New Year to all.

Cheers -- Chris
Mathews - South Wales
Mathews - Ballymena, Co. Antrim
Mathews - Dublin
Mathew - Thomastown, Co. Tipperary
Savage - Leicester
Harrison - Leicester
Harrison - Newark
Hick - Yorkshire
Porte - Ireland
Foxall - Dublin, Ireland