Author Topic: Cordock  (Read 3105 times)

Offline colin12

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cordock
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi DAve,

I've gone beyond 1837 and the next step is Parish Records, do you know where Parish records are held for Keelby, Lincs?

Cheers

Colin
Bishop Dorest/ Portsmouth
Withall Droxford
Kershaw Canada/West yorkshire
Joyce Surrey/Hampshire

Offline Dave Redwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Well...if you're anywhere near Lincoln, the good folks at the Lincolnshire Archives may be able to help you. Since I live in Orstraylia (Happy Oz Day - Jan 26th - been drinking beer and watching cricket!) it's nearly ten years since I managed to go there, but they struck me as pretty helpful. Can't remember the address, but it shouldn't be too hard to find on the net.
If you live any sort of distance from Lincoln, find the closest Latter Day Saints (Mormon) church which has a family history centre and find out if they have a microfilm available for that parish. It costs $6 in Oz to hire them, so maybe 3 pounds or so in UK, and you might have to wait a few weeks for them to get it in. You then get a month in which to go in and scan through the film on a microfilm reader.
I may be telling you stuff you already know, in which case ignore me  :). The folks at the LDS church are friendly and very helpful by and large, and in my experience make no attempt whatsoever to convert you to their brand.
Have you tried their website http://www.familysearch.org ? I quickly found your John Cordock baptised 14 Jun 1807 at Keelby.
Good luck!
Smith - Newington SRY; Sanford - Dorking SRY; Miller - Woolland DOR; Keeley - Burwash SSX; Storr - Hackthorn LIN; Drury - Haddington LIN; Owen - Bangor CAE; Evans - Chester CHS; Jones - Llanfyllin MGY; Rivers - Liverpool LAN; Kent - Cheetham LAN; Huffadine - Liverpool LAN; Parkinson - Liverpool LAN

Offline colin12

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

I live over the water in Hull, but can go through to Lincoln and visit the archives.

Have a beer and think of us!!

Cheers M8

Colin
Bishop Dorest/ Portsmouth
Withall Droxford
Kershaw Canada/West yorkshire
Joyce Surrey/Hampshire

Offline Dave Redwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hull! Yer laughing then.
I had about ten days in Lincoln when I last visited for a friend's wedding, managed to sneak a few sessions in at the archives between the social sessions but wish I could have spent much longer there. There's lots more relatives I've found out about since that I would love to dig around for.
The internet is a great resource for family history these days, but there's nothing like being able to visit a county archive repository. I reckon they've got most of the counties parish registers at Lincoln archives, along with all sorts of goodies like monumental inscriptions, apprenticeship records, poor law records - you name it.
Best of luck to you, Colin. And cheers - have a pint of your best British real ale for me next time you're at the local. 
Smith - Newington SRY; Sanford - Dorking SRY; Miller - Woolland DOR; Keeley - Burwash SSX; Storr - Hackthorn LIN; Drury - Haddington LIN; Owen - Bangor CAE; Evans - Chester CHS; Jones - Llanfyllin MGY; Rivers - Liverpool LAN; Kent - Cheetham LAN; Huffadine - Liverpool LAN; Parkinson - Liverpool LAN

Offline orcadia

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 27 January 05 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi soory to bother you guys, but have you people heard of harry cordock? he moved up here in orkney way back and married my grandmother elsie, they had 2 children, Jock and susan, my name is John Cordock son of jock. Harry died about 34 years ago and his family came from grimsby, hull. if you have any info on this it would be appreciated. Sorry to butt in in your conversation, your the first cordocks i've seen apart from myself

best regards
John

Offline Dave Redwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 27 January 05 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Check your personal messages John. I'll continue via there rather than go any further off topic here.

Offline martindolby

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 April 20 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi John, my mothers grandparents we're Cordock from Grimsby. My mother came from North Yorkshire to look after them. Have you any other records of your relations from Grimsby? Also, my mother was called Elsie too!