Author Topic: Frederickay's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.  (Read 40875 times)

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederickay's Scavenger Hunt...Everyone Welcome To Join In.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:06 BST (UK) »
I did find the marriage in one of the London papers - through Google books

1818 Captain Charles Jones of the 15th Hussars to Charlotte Matilda only daughter of the late Alexander Annesley Esq of Hyde Hall

I also found her death in 1845 at Isleworth aged 65

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:22 BST (UK) »

OK - got something I think    ;D

I found an obituary for Michael Jones FSA in 1852 and it mentions his elder brother who in 1815 was captain Charles Jones (so before he got promoted further).  This Michael was born about 1776 - so the dates work.  His father was another Michael Jones of Caton in Lancashire and his mother was Mary (nee Smith would you believe) who was first married to Edward Coyney).  The article mentions all sorts of other relies going quite a bit back and concludes that in 1815 Captain Charles Jones was the heir to the barony of Scrope of Bolton

you can see the whole thing here

http://books.google.com/books?id=F8ghAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA97&dq=%22captain+charles+jones%22&lr=

;D

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
Ok - srub that  :-[  I've just found a refernce to that Charles Jones's son Henry James Jones (b1812)  so that's the wrong man

:-\

DebbieG

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:37 BST (UK) »
oooo forgot it was Tuesday  ;D

bookmarking for now

deb  :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jamajo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My lovely gran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:38 BST (UK) »
  Dont know if this will help but there is a tree on a------y giving names of Charles 2 wives

and children. May be worth a look for clues.

Sue :) :)
Norris  ( Somerset, Oxfordshire )
Evans  ( Berkshire )
Goodenough ( Berkshire )
Lloyd  ( Berkshire, Canada)
Dance ( Berkshire, Portsea, USA, )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Is this about Ernest Jones? from NA;
Chartism - Your ArchivesChartism,BT 41/136/790,BT 41/474/2659,BT 41/475/2659,BT 41/476/2659,C 121/401,C 36/574,C 54/14661,HO 10/31,HO 100,HO 102. Contains material relating to the imprisonment of many Chartists, including Ernest Jones. It includes reports on the prisoners, returns of Chartist prisoners, petitions and memorials asking for pardons and material relating to the granting of pardons. Entry books of out-letters, warrants and pardons. 1837-1852 -9 Returns of committals for trial at the Old Bailey and Central Criminal Court. 1835-1849 Interviews with 73 Chartist prisoners.

deb

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:52 BST (UK) »
Ernest's  obit gives details of his Chartist past and prison etc.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 17:59 BST (UK) »
There are several refences to Ernest on National Archives ...posting them just in case :

Treasury Solicitor and HM Procurator General, Papers TS 11/138/Chartist Movement in London: R v. Ernest Charles Jones. Making seditious speech in Bishop Bonner's Fields. Court: Central Criminal . Chartist Movement in London: R v. Ernest Charles Jones. Making seditious speech in Bishop Bonner's Fields. Court: Central Date: 1848.

Jones, Ernest Charles (1819-1869) Chartist and Poet 131396Chartist and Poet Ernest Charles Jones corresp letters (56) to Karl Marx corresp with Jane Atherley (14 items) diaries corresp, family and business papers (1708 items) draft letters; memoranda and papers letters (33) to George Howell with latter's biography Date range: 1819 - 1869.

Notes on Chartism: Marx and Ernest Jones - D. Torr draft; notes on 'People's Pap...[Labour History Archive] Date range: 1831 - 1999

Diary 1 FANE 6/8/1/1May news of Mildmay Fane going to British Guiana. 23 -2 5 May, Astle. 31 May, preventing the meeting of Chartists. 7 June, concerned with arrest of Chartist leader, Ernest Jones, for seditious speeches "He was found in bed at the Moseley Arms Hotel at Date: 1848.

Extracts from the Visiting Justices minutes, July 1848 to June 1850 of all proceedings relating to Ernest Charles Jones, Chartist prisoner.   WA/GP/1851/001  1851

deb

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 July 08 18:48 BST (UK) »
I couldn't find the report of Charles death in The Times but I did find a report in the Derby Mercury in Feb 1843, but it doesn't give much detail. 'On the 17th inst, by the accidental discharge of a gun Major  Charles Jones, late Aide de Camp to the King of Hanover' So we need to find his death cert. now.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk