Author Topic: Wareham birth 1800? George Augustus COCKRAM  (Read 3637 times)

Offline davecigar

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wareham birth 1800? George Augustus COCKRAM
« on: Wednesday 23 July 08 20:24 BST (UK) »
George Augustus (Capel) COCKRAM was a Master Mariner born in Wareham in 1800, according to the Merchant Navy records at Kew. He married Sarah Williams on 16th January 1827 at St James Church, Poole. They had four children to-gether, the first three of which were born in Poole. Two were christened at Skinner Street Independent, Poole. The third, my great grandfather, although born in Poole in 1832, was christened in West Derby, Liverpool on 22nd November 1835. The family had moved to Merseyside somewhere in between and were all listed on the 1841 census and living at Brunswick Place, Toxteth Park, Liverpool. By 1851 Sarah was a Master Mariner's widow and living with her daughter Emily and her husband John Roberts at 6 Church Street, Liverpool.
I have searched the OPC's for Wareham but have been unable to find his baptism record. Can anyone highlight my shortcomings!
He died shortly after the 1841 census but so far have been unable to trace his death record. Any ideas please?
His eldest son, also George Augustus, was a Junior Mariner in 1841 but has disappeared without trace. Does anyone know where I might find him?

Many thanks in advance

Davecigar
Cockram/Williams - Poole/Wareham, Dorset
Evans - Corwen
Dodd - New Ferry/Malpas
Jones/Williams - Caernarfon/Anglesey
Bristowe - Bratton, Wiltshire
Wells - Bath, Somerset
Fishwick/Lewis - Liverpool
Nicholson/Tennant - Ecclefechan, Dumfrieshire

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset birth? COCKRAM c1800
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 22:01 BST (UK) »
The IGI has this extracted record but no middle names are given.   :-\

George Cockeram born 17.1.1800 christened 26.1.1800

Bow Now Mint Meeting or Georges Meeting House Prexeterrian, Exeter Devon

Father Robert   Mother Joanna
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wareham birth 1800? George Augustus COCKRAM
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 June 12 22:45 BST (UK) »
Six years before the 1827 marriage banns were published in Poole between a George Cockram and Sarah Burgess. They may never have married, or the description of George as a bachelor in 18s7 may be wrong (or they may be different Georges).

In 1820 Sarah Burgess had been a witness at the marriage of Mary Cockram and Charles Stevens, who therefore seems a candidate for George's sister.

There is an entry in the Wareham registers in 1794 for a Mary Cockram daughter of Mark and Catherine Cockram.

All this is speculative of course.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RNA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 June 12 07:57 BST (UK) »
George Augustus (Capel) COCKRAM was a Master Mariner born in Wareham in 1800, according to the Merchant Navy records at Kew. He married Sarah Williams on 16th January 1827 at St James Church, Poole. They had four children to-gether, the first three of which were born in Poole. Two were christened at Skinner Street Independent, Poole. The third, my great grandfather, although born in Poole in 1832, was christened in West Derby, Liverpool on 22nd November 1835. The family had moved to Merseyside somewhere in between and were all listed on the 1841 census and living at Brunswick Place, Toxteth Park, Liverpool. By 1851 Sarah was a Master Mariner's widow and living with her daughter Emily and her husband John Roberts at 6 Church Street, Liverpool.
I have searched the OPC's for Wareham but have been unable to find his baptism record. Can anyone highlight my shortcomings!
He died shortly after the 1841 census but so far have been unable to trace his death record. Any ideas please?
His eldest son, also George Augustus, was a Junior Mariner in 1841 but has disappeared without trace. Does anyone know where I might find him?

Many thanks in advance

Davecigar

Hi,

I am also interested in the COCKRAM family and wondered if you had come across Mary COCKRAM who married Charles STEVENS in St James Parish Poole The marriage was by Banns and the witnesses were Ambrose COBB and Sarah BURGESS
The minister was N W JOLLIFFE. They married 28 November 1820.  Charles I believe was from Wareham and born baptised 10 September 1795.  He died in 1829 at Poole.  I have lost Mary after this date!!  Did she remarry?

Cheers
Rachel
Australia
Alliston (CAM)  Holmes (WAR) M(a)Kinnon (IOS) M(a)cPherson (IOS), Stevens (DOR), McLean(IOS) Nic(h)olson(IOS) Nicol (PER) Niven (PER) RAVEN (LEI>NZ)Satterthwaite(WOR & WAR) Stevens(DOR) Wedderspoon (PER) Wood(LIN &NTT)

Offline davecigar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 13:41 BST (UK) »
Richard,
Many thx for your response.
I'm almost 100% certain that there are two George Cockrams.
After extensive research online, sifting through all the OPR's in the Wareham area (and beyond), I cannot find any record of George Augustus Cockram. It would appear that a lot of records were destroyed by fire. Therefore I haven't been able to locate any other family members. I'm reasonably sure of his birthplace from handwritten Merchant Navy records located at Kew which commenced in 1835.
He married Sarah Williams at St James's, Poole on 16/01/1827. I have a copy of the marriage certificate and although the entry is George Cochrane he actually signs himself George Cockram. The witnesses were John Hosier, Mary Williams, Mary Hilber?, Christian Wilkins (Williams?) and Sarah Hosier.
The trail is cold!!
Richard
Evans - Corwen
Dodd - New Ferry/Malpas
Wells - Bath, Somerset

Offline davecigar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,
As my reply to RJKnott, there are two George Cockram's. Unfortunately the one you are researching does not appear to be my family.  Was Mary a sister? I wish I knew.
Sorry not to be able to help further,
Dave
Evans - Corwen
Dodd - New Ferry/Malpas
Wells - Bath, Somerset

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 June 12 21:01 BST (UK) »

Presumably you have rejected:

George Cochrane   d Sep 1849   Liverpool

...or even:

George Cockram    d Mar 1844   Poole

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davecigar

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 June 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

I sent off for a DC for George Cochrane, died1849, Liverpool but it was not my GGG/father.
George Cockram, died 1844, Poole. Didn't follow this up.

My thoughts were (are):-
I have handwritten records of voyages he made from 1836 to 1840. The last entry records him arriving in Liverpool as Captain of the "Blackaller" on 23/5/1840 with a unique voyage number 7767. There aren't any further records of voyages he made, after that date, so was he too ill to return to sea?
He is recorded on the 1841 Census (6th June) living with his family at Brunswick Place, Toxteth Park, Liverpool, which is the reason I didn't follow up the Poole death in 1844.
So the census is the last known entry.

Kind regards
Dave
Evans - Corwen
Dodd - New Ferry/Malpas
Wells - Bath, Somerset