Author Topic: Northiam Parish Records-TREE  (Read 14903 times)

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northiam Parish Records-TREE
« on: Thursday 24 July 08 06:47 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the birth/baptisms in Northiam, East Sussex for the following children of Elizabeth Tree (nee Ashdown]:
Charles - about 1806
Griffess - about 1808
Edward - about 1812
There maybe others.
If anyone has access to the Parish records Iwould appreciated a check.
Thanks,Tim
LUCAS-Hampshire, GREENER-Hampshire/Berkshire, COOPER-Middlesex, TAYLOR-Surrey, MORGAN-Llanedy, CLEMENT-Landilotalybont & Llandebie, JONES-Llandebie, LEWIS-Llanegwed-Carm/Morriston-Glam/Cwmavon-Glam, HODGSON-Staffordshire

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Northiam Parish Records-TREE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 08 21:30 BST (UK) »
The IGI at www.familysearch.org has one of the baptisms, but they appear to be submitted entries so should be treated with caution. Also some others.

William 12 Jan 1794
David 22 May 1796
Mary 10 Nov 1799
James 27 Nov 1803
Charles 2 Mar 1806

There is an Edward 7 Apr 1811, but no parents listed

If you can get to a LDS Family history Centre you can order and view a microfilm of the Northiam parish registers. They are available on two films which cover the PRs from 1558-1901.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 September 08 07:00 BST (UK) »
Well I got the LDS film of the Northiam parish register. It confirmed the baptims to William and Elizabeth TREE for William(1794), David, Mary, James and Charles(1806). [Edward was a base child of Maria Tree, so not connected].
There was no other baptisms unfortunately to confirm my Griffess Tree who was supposedly born 3Sept1808, Northiam was part of this family.

There was one Tree burial to 1812, a William Tree (40)-11Jul1812 - The Father?
and a marriage of a Elizabeth Tree(widow) to Richard Hicks 20Jun1813 - The Mother remarried?
There was a marriage of Charles Tree to Eliza Lawrence on 29Jan1829 and a witness appears to be a Griffess Tree. So maybe my Griffess is connected to this family. But there no record of any of the other bros/sisters.

So were do I go from here as I have hit a roadblock? Any suggestions?.

I have not found William & Elizabeth TREE or Richard and Elizabeth HICKS in census records but maybe someone is better able to track them down.

IGI for baptims of Griffess Tree in 1808 was unsuccessfull. Any other suggestions how to track him down.?

Griffess Tree reappears in the records with marriage in Rye on 1Jul1833 and baptism of first two children in Rye, Sussex soon after before leaving England for Australia. His occupation was shoemaker.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.
Tim

LUCAS-Hampshire, GREENER-Hampshire/Berkshire, COOPER-Middlesex, TAYLOR-Surrey, MORGAN-Llanedy, CLEMENT-Landilotalybont & Llandebie, JONES-Llandebie, LEWIS-Llanegwed-Carm/Morriston-Glam/Cwmavon-Glam, HODGSON-Staffordshire

Offline nellesayshi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 January 09 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussietim

I am just new to the forum and signed up because I saw your message on a google search.  My Great Great Grandfather was Daniel James Tree, I have him as being born 1802 in Sussex, he arrived in Australia 1839 on the ship Resource and was a shoemaker.  One of his sons to his 2nd marriage (married 4 times) was Robert Griffiths Tree born 1856.

With the name of Griffiths, and the similar dates do you think there is a connection?  Maybe a brother to the one you are looking for?

I have more information, I just have not been able to find it as yet.
TREE, Sussex

Offline nellesayshi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 January 09 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, forgot to say that my Daniel James Tree was from Northiam on our records, and I seem to remember his father was William.
TREE, Sussex

Offline timaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Nellesayshi,
There maybe a connection but I can"t find any records to support it.
The Northiam parish records do not have a Daniel Tree baptised to William & Elizabeth Tree around 1802 (or any time) although these two have other children from 1794 to 1806 as mentioned earlier.
FYI
Looking back over my notes, the Northiam parish records do indicate the following only Daniel Tree baptised:
Children of William & Martha Tree:
14 Mar 1780 - Elizabeth, burial 20 Mar 1780
29 Dec 1782 - Henry
5 Dec 1784 - Maria & Elizabeth twins
4 Jun 1786 - Thomas
8 Jun 1788 - Jane
30 May 1790 - Delcia
3 Feb 1793 - Martha
8 May 1796 - William
18 Nov 1798 - Daniel [Could his be your Daniel? Are you sure of 1802?]

There was also the following possibly related burial:
28 Jun 1799 Martha wife of William aged 40
There was no married record for William/Martha.
Hope this may help in your quest.
Tim

Offline nellesayshi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 July 09 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim

Thanks for this.  I will look further into that connection.  It may be possible that this is my Daniel, as all I have is that he was 35 when he migrated to Australia in 1838.  He may have had a sister Mary Ann Cecilia Tree who lived with his family in Adelaide for a while... cant see her name in your list so will have to dig a little more.

Kind regards

Nelle
TREE, Sussex

Offline judt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 November 09 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aussietim

I also have been trying to verify the IGI entries for Griffiths Tree and Elizabeth King for some time, without any success.  Until I came across other Northiam Tree families in the England censuses (often indexed as Free), I was beginning to suspect that he had changed his name. 

I am not certain of the accuracy of Elizabeth Ashdown as his mother.  The only place I have seen mention of Elizabeth Ashdown is on Griffess Trees' death certificate, so it could be fuzzy memory on the part of his wife - particuarly as the Tree surname is not mentioned, just the mother's maiden(?) name.  Have you seen Elizabeth Ashdown mentioned on any other documentation?

There is an entry in the Burial Parish Records on FindMyPast for William Tree, age 40, about 1812 in Northiam.  This could be the father of Griffiths Tree, particularly with Griffiths's first son was named William. 

I am hoping that eventually the Northiam information will be indexed and available on the Internet, so I keep searching.  I have written to the Sussex Family History Society requesting a lookup of the marriage of Griffiths Tree, and will post any info I receive.

Regards
Judy

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 November 09 08:28 GMT (UK) »
The only Griffith Tree marriage on the Sussex Marriage Index is to Elizabeth King in Rye 1st July 1833.   No further details.  William Tree married Martha French in Ewhurst 14th Feb 1780.   I can't see an Elizabeth Ashdown to William Tree marriage anywhere.    May be they married in Kent?   Not very far away.   Might be worth a specifc request on the Kent board.
If you become a member of the Sussex Family History Group then you have access to many baptisms etc that they have transcribed.  Well worth it, particularly if you are miles away.

Regards
Andrea