Author Topic: Rival one-name studies  (Read 21254 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Rival one-name studies
« on: Thursday 24 July 08 10:27 BST (UK) »
I've done a one-name study but didn't join the GOON because I couldn't see any advantage when you don't live anywhere near London.  I've created a website to put all the research I've done online.  Now I'm wondering if I could be held to be trespassing on someone else's territory.  There was no one doing this research registered with GOON when I started.  But what proprietorial rights does such registration confer?  My instinct says none at all, but I don't want to find that I'm treading on someone's toes, as seems to be the case.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rival one-name studies
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 July 08 11:50 BST (UK) »
Can't think of any reason why you can't research any surname that you want to. There are thousands of websites on the Internet where people have done just that.
Guild of One Name Studies is English but not everyone is in England or has English ancestors so it's purely a matter of personal choice whether or not you want to join such an organisation.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline sdgray22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 August 08 22:53 BST (UK) »
I am doing a registered one name study on JEX, but there is someone out there who has been doing one for years and never registered.  I always knew about him, It did not stop me registering and doing my study and publishing it on my website.  His seems to be a more private study and I know that occasionally he contacts people with information.  His information is not on the web, and it doesn't seem to cross over with my research in any way.  You must never get proprietorial about a name it doesn't belong to anyone and anyone can study it in whatever way they wish.  The only thing i suspect is that if a researcher looked up JEX they are more likely to come to me as I am registered with the Guild and he is not or alternatively that could put some people off as well.
Sharon

Offline vickifperry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 February 09 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Could you not share your findings, rather than thinking of them as a 'rival'? Many of the surnames that I'm researching are also being researched by others, particularly those that I seem to have turned into unofficial one-name studies, but I think that one of the wonderful things about my research is all of the people that I've met, especially distant relations and with whom I've been able to share my research and who have generously shared their research with me. Combining our research has led to new information for all of us!
Perry families of Ireland (www.irishperrys.com)
Vendyback family of Medbourne, Leicestershire
Van de Becks of Thorney, Cambridgeshire
Quartermain of Oxfordshire

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 February 09 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I'm happy to share, and that's why I've put it all on-line!
My question really referred to the position of the GOON.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline pjbuk007

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 February 09 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Have you read the info on the GOONS site recently?  They have improved it a bit.  I am involved in a ONS which someone else has registered there, but find it useful re surname mapping and using data grabbing software.

Surely there is no harm in registering it there as it is not very expensive and it is one port of call for those researching unusual names. 

But you can study any name you like and put it on the web; just I see advantages re being GOONS registered.

If someone else is researching now, have THEY registered the name?
BENNET(T); NRY- Brotton, CON
BURTON; NRY- Saltburn, Guisborough, Marske, Stokesley
Judge Newark Lincoln BURTON , USA
DALES; NRY- Brotton, LIN - Orby
DAVIES
GEORGE: GLA - Oystermouth & Penarth, CON
LINCOLN. Middlesbrough, NRY, Durham
PERRETT Gloucestershire
QUESTED London. Assisting with One-name Study.
TRASK; GLA - Cardiff, Barry etc, SOM - South Petherton
WESTED

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 April 09 19:10 BST (UK) »
If you are concerned about your information being poached, there is the GEDMARK program which enables you to indelibly tag your GEDCOM files.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 August 14 23:48 BST (UK) »
I've done a one-name study but didn't join the GOON because I couldn't see any advantage when you don't live anywhere near London.

I've got to pick up on this. I live in northern Scotland, far from most Guild meetings, seminars or annual conferences. But I still registered a study, about 16 years ago, and am still a member today. And I thought it might help if I said why.

There are plenty of benefits of being in GOONS even if you can't go to meetings.

The biggest for me is that GOONS acts as a central place for people to go to find one-name studiers. I get a lot of contacts via the website, from people who have found my study there. Yes people can google for a website, but realistically how are they going to find your study and website if you're not in GOONS? For me my one-name study is as much about sharing information with fellow Cavers descendants, as it is about doing the fun research, and it's vital people can find me.

The Journal of One-Name Studies, sent out to all members, is in my opinion one of the very best family history society journals there is. It's got much of interest to any enthusiastic genealogist, but particularly to one-name studiers, with many tips and ideas on how to do your one-name study well.

On that topic the Guild a few years ago published an Art of One-Name Studies book, which again is full of excellent advice. Fortunately it can be bought by non-members too, from their sales shop (see the website), but it's just another example of how they encourage excellence among members.

And there is the Guild email forum, which only members can join. This is very active, and full of ideas and tips for doing your one-name study effectively. And if people have a query or a problem there is usually someone on the list who can help answer it quickly and point them in the right direction. There are other means of communication between members, such as the Facebook group and a bulletin board. But the email forum is probably still the most actively used.

GOONS also now has regular hangouts on Google+, which allow one-name studiers from all over the world to meet virtually, with a webcam or microphone, and chat about their one-name studies.

Those are just a few things. More than enough for me to continue as a member. My one-name study is a Scottish surname BTW.