Author Topic: Ordering certificates  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ordering certificates
« on: Saturday 10 April 04 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found on the freebmd site what i think are the death and marriage certificates for my great great grandfather.

As I am in Australia could some one please let me know the best way to go about ordering them.

Thanks

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Ordering certificates
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 04 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi!

On this site you will find a list of all uk registry offices and their address details. maybe of help to you.

http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/regoff.html

Catherine    :)

Offline Al

• RootsChat Extra
  • Please sir can I go now my brain is full
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 April 04 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaki

You can also obtain them from the General register office (GRO). Their web page has more info http://www.statistics.gov.uk/registration/general_register.asp

unfortunately being from overseas you wont be able to order them using their new online service.
It will cost you more through GRO than through the local register offices £8.50 sterling as opposed to £7.50 at the local office (well it is at mine anyway I don't know if they vary their charges). The only advantage with the general register office I have found is that they accept credit cards which some of the smaller local offices don't.

The certificates from GRO seem to be computer printed onto a certificate from a scan of the records whereas from my local register office they are a handwritten copy made by the clerks and are a lot easier to read. I know I'm probably strange but the handwritten certificates also seem more authentic to me and have more a feel of the past.

Told you I was strange!

For me I'd use the local offices wherever possible but as they say. The choice is yours ;)
Al
Researching Eastwood, Scott, Law from Halifax/Todmorden
Hughes from Lancashire
Selby from Notts

Offline JIA

• RootsChat Extra
  • families: Armitage, Dean, Smith, Allen, Kendrick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 04 08:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Just the information I was about to seek but still leaves me a little at sea, as I am unsure which office to write to for someone born in Heckmondwike c 1862 A Harry Armitage.
Also Clerkenwell Middlesex for a Joseph Armitage born c 1867

Can any one assist?  I am also in Australia

Many thanks

JIA ;)
JIA

Offline Al

• RootsChat Extra
  • Please sir can I go now my brain is full
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 11 April 04 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi JIA
Happy Easter.

You have picked on a good one there!
Heckmondwike is a small place that is right in the middle of a few registration districts.

Genuki shows that Dewsbury reg. district covers Heckmondwike and that would be my best guess too.
But if he was born in Cleckheaton which is a very close town they could be at Bradford.

Have you found him in the GRO records? If so which district is he shown registered at?

I found this one on FreeBMD which could be your man

Births Mar 1862
ARMITAGE  Harry Lofthouse     Dewsbury  9b 480  

Al
Researching Eastwood, Scott, Law from Halifax/Todmorden
Hughes from Lancashire
Selby from Notts

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 April 04 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hello.
If you state the full GRO reference details to the site below, they will search and order for you. Their site explains in compete detail. I have taken advantage of their services a few times now, they are VERY efficient and reliable.

http://www.research-uk.co.uk/
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 April 04 15:13 BST (UK) »
Jaki,
I don't know where you are in Oz, but a correspondant of mine who lives in Australia, talked about a family history centre that he could go to to look up records and I understand they do batch orders periodically. He even kindly ordered a marriage certificate for me through the system (as I'm also outside of the UK) and sent it on to me.  I think it might have been in Sydney, but it's well worth looking through your directories to see what is available.
Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 11 April 04 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Didn't even think of doing that. I am in Newcastle and i know that there are a couple of family history centres around here. The only problem i have is that working full time there opening time seem to be when i am at work. Although i think there is a LDS centre around here somewhere, will have to check their opening times again had a look a while ago and can't remember them.
If all else fails will wait until i am on holidays next and do it then

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline JIA

• RootsChat Extra
  • families: Armitage, Dean, Smith, Allen, Kendrick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 April 04 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi JIA
Happy Easter.

You have picked on a good one there!
Heckmondwike is a small place that is right in the middle of a few registration districts.

Genuki shows that Dewsbury reg. district covers Heckmondwike and that would be my best guess too.
But if he was born in Cleckheaton which is a very close town they could be at Bradford.

Have you found him in the GRO records? If so which district is he shown registered at?

I found this one on FreeBMD which could be your man

Births Mar 1862
ARMITAGE  Harry Lofthouse     Dewsbury  9b 480  

Thank you , thank you so much for the information and for looking up Harry

yes I think that it is him. the middle name Lofthouse is not common (it is on my grandfather's birth certificate).  Now I will send off for the certificate which will take me closer to finding out about his mother

I hope you had a happy easter

Regards

JIA  :D

JIA