Author Topic: Whitaugh Armstrongs  (Read 28998 times)

Offline bobbiejhooser

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitaugh Armstrongs
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 24 June 12 13:10 BST (UK) »
There are other Armstrongs, particularly a William Armstrong who stayed and lived at Bankhead on Esk, parish Kirkandrews but the one you want is this Lancelot:

7 Sep 1740 CHRISTENING:  LANCELOT son of WILLIAM ARMSTRONG AND SUSANNA BLYTH, his wife of Bankhead of Esk in Kirkandrews, page 36, FHL Film #1067962, Item 7.  Parish Register for Gretna, 1730-1854.  Church of Scotland, parish church of Gretna (Dumfriesshire).

Offline CasparV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
I have found this thread rather a long time after it was written and wonder if anyone is still active, please?

I have found Francis Armstrong of Whitehaugh (living 1714) who married in 1683 to Julian, dau. of Henry/Harie Ker of Lintoun and they apparently had a son called Francis Armstrong who was living 1706 and 1714.

I cannot find any decent pedigree for the Armstrongs of Whithaugh and so wonder if anyone can help me to place the above-mentioned individuals, please?

Many thanks,
Caspar
Steavens of Bermondsey & Kent

Offline bobbiejhooser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 28 July 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
Registers & Records of Scotland, Indexes, no. 3, Index to General Register of Sasines, 1701-1720, vols. 78-117 of originals  105, 347

9 Jul 1714    Reference to Julian Ker wife of Francis Armstrong of Whithaugh younger.

Liddesdale Monumental Inscriptions 1666-1995. No. 258, pg 25 
No. 258. Here lies Helen Forrester, spouse to Francis Armstrong in Whithaugh who died 2 May 1667.  Here lies also Christian Elliot second wife of said Francis Armstrong who died 19 Oct 1679 aged 29.  Here lies also Margaret Armstrong daughter of Francis Armstrong, Younger, of Whithaugh, who died 22 Oct 1715 aged 8 months.  Here lies Francis Armstrong, elder, of Whithaugh, who died 27 Oct 1721 aged 91

If you are a member of the Armstrong Clan Association, contact them

Offline kirstyc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to read all this.

Does anyone know why / when the Whithaugh lands passed into the Elliot family? John Elliot was laird of Whithaugh by the end of the 18th C, and it eventually passed down through the female descendants to the Keirs and then the Littles. I just wondered whether the Armstrongs sold it or whether it was a family connection. I think I read somewhere that they sold it but I see above that Francis Armstrong's second wife was an Elliot.

thanks
Kirsty
Bell, Church, Little, Calvert - Canonbie, Langholm - Dumfries-shire; Roxburgh-shire
MacDonald - glencoe
Cochrane, Anderson - Haddingtonshire, Fife, Clacks
Brodie - East Lothian
McDonald, Hamilton, Finlay, Morn - Paisley
Smart, Robertson - Kirkcaldy & Dysar, Fife; Dundee
Chesters, Allen, Pennington - Cheshire & North Wales
Christer - Cumberland, Northumberland, Cumbria, N Lincs
Altorfer, Haller, Feller - Switzerland

Offline Rewcastle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 08 August 22 23:12 BST (UK) »
Long time since I've been on Rootschat, hopefully I'll add some more info to sort out the families of the Armstrongs of Whithaugh and Dalbeth.

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 13 August 22 15:35 BST (UK) »
Great to see you're back, Rew.
I'll PM you.
Cheers,
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland