Author Topic: Whitaugh Armstrongs  (Read 29006 times)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitaugh Armstrongs
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 September 08 05:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Sancti
That's extremely interesting & useful
Cheers
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 September 08 08:15 BST (UK) »
Sorry to intrude on your Armstrong topic, my g.grandfather was a Walter Armstrong, b.c. 1845. in, Roxborough, Dumfries, or  Borders, depends which census you read.
To date i have not traced his family, apart from, i think he married, 1870, Rotherham Emma Hall.
 There was a topic on here, 6/3/07, Armstrong family Sheffield 1901 Cen.,  I was wondering if you Armstrong researchers had come across this family in your endeavours ?
                                     Bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 September 08 08:38 BST (UK) »
Bodger, when did he die? Does his death certificate give his parents names?

Closest baptism record on the OPR's is this one

19/06/1845 ARMSTRONG WALTER son of WILLIAM ARMSTRONG and MARGARET TELFER at Castleton ROXBURGH

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 September 08 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Bodger,
You mentioned Walter Armstrong which was interesting. I've just been looking at a will featuring the Little family, who were connected (I believe) via Jane Little to Lancelot Armstrong.
This Lancelot died at Gilnockie Cottage, Canonbie & the will features several Littles, including a WALTER Little. The will was dated 1834, so wondering if your Walter was named for him? Slightly tenuous, but who knows? Walter is a fairly rare Armstrong name from what I've seen.
Cheers
Bob

Offline RWA0655

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 November 08 05:11 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to work my way backward from a Lancelot Armstrong.  Born 1700 in Hanover,  Virginia, USA.  Died 24 Sep 1745.  Family history indicates that his father may have been born in Scotland, but I cannot confirm this.  He married Sarah Wrench (or Rench) and had 7 children:  Susanna, William, Thomas, Sarah, Mary, Lancelot (1743), and John.

I hope this may be of interest to you, since the name appears at the end of your timescale, in 1700 and again in 1743.

Bob
Armstrong surname.  Richmond, Virginia, USA and surrounding counties of Hanover (Luisa), Henrico, and Goochland.  Perhaps ties to Kentucky.

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 November 08 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info, Bob
I'll make a note of it & see if I can find any answers this end.
Happy hunting,
Bob

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 March 09 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I recall reading that a son of the Whithaugh Laird wed "...a gypsy fey..." and that subsequent Armstrong generations had "...licken brows & dark complexions"
William A Armstrong in his book "The Armstrong Bordeland" states that Francis is another common Whithaugh name. This interested me, as I have close Y-DNA links to a Canonbie-linked Armstrong who also has Francis's throughout his pedigree.
My family as far back as I can remember are all dark-haired, so maybe a link?
A bit of a long shot, but food for thought!
Bob
PS I also have a more distant Y-DNA link to an Armstrong who has Quinten's in his early lineage - also a Whithaugh name

Offline Langtonian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 August 09 12:48 BST (UK) »
Castlebob,

I remember reading this interesting thread earlier in the year but sadly had nothing to contribute at that time.

However, recently I’ve been reading ‘The Steel Bonnets – the story of the Anglo-Scottish Reivers’ by George MacDonald Fraser, a superb read for those that haven’t come across it, an astonishing account of life on the Border around 500 years ago, with the Armstrongs of course featuring prominently.

Fraser mentions an early Lancelot Armstrong who may be of interest to you if you haven’t come across him already.

Fraser mentions that the state papers and records of the Scottish Privy Council from around 1611 list the names of individuals to be hanged at Jedburgh and Dumfries, those to be cautioned and of fugitives still at large. He makes the following interesting reference:-

“Thom, Jok and Lancie Armestrangis…sall pass furth of the kingdoms of Scotland and England , and sall not returne…”

So, if Lancie (along with Thom and Jok) were indeed effectively banished from the Kingdom as is suggested it begs the question where did he go? Might he have ended up in America and might the individuals who share his forename in the early 1700s in America be descended from him (or from Thom or Jok)? An intriguing thought!!

On a completely different note, does anyone know if the American cyclist Lance Armstrong has Roxburghshire/Whitaugh roots?

If anyone is able to shed light on my own Armstrong mystery I’d be very grateful. I’m trying to establish who the parents of Mary Armstrong who married George Hog 10 July 1762, Ashkirk were. She seems to have been of the Parish of Minto at the time of her marriage.

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 16 August 09 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Langtonian,
Sadly, Lance was adopted by an Armstrong, so no claim to fame for us there!
'The Steel Bonnets' is an excellent read, plus 'The Armstrong Borderland' by   W A Armstrong is useful too. For the myths & traditions, 'The Chronicles of the Armstrongs' is excellent. It is available free on the internet. Google uo the title + free download & you should get it.
The ref to the banished Armstrongs, plus refs to the more unusual Lancelot & Quentin names are of great interest, as they are a lot easier to pinpoint than all the John's & Williams!!! As you rightly say, America (or Ulster first) makes sense.
I've been in touch with a few US Armstrongs with the more unusual names in their lineages, & have DNA links to one.
I've noted the names you are interested in & will bear you in mind.
Many thanks for your reply. Greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Bob