Author Topic: listed as deaf and dumb on census  (Read 6478 times)

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
listed as deaf and dumb on census
« on: Tuesday 25 January 05 07:58 GMT (UK) »
hi, my g-g-g-grandparents Thomas and Elizabeth Wigzell are listed as both being deaf and dumb from birth on the 1871 census.  Is there any source I can check to find out more about this?  ie if there was a deaf school they attended, what life was like for deaf people at that time...
Also the 1881 census (LDS) does not list this information under disability - is it usual for LDS to omit disability?  Would it be on the original 1881 census?
Many thanks, lilirose
Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: listed as deaf and dumb on census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 08:21 GMT (UK) »
This thread is discussing something close to you question. http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,31623.msg122131.html#msg122131

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 10:56 GMT (UK) »
hi, my g-g-g-grandparents Thomas and Elizabeth Wigzell are listed as both being deaf and dumb from birth on the 1871 census.  Is there any source I can check to find out more about this?  ie if there was a deaf school they attended, what life was like for deaf people at that time...
Also the 1881 census (LDS) does not list this information under disability - is it usual for LDS to omit disability?  Would it be on the original 1881 census?
Many thanks, lilirose

The full 1881 census lists the following:

Dwelling:   44 Windsor Road
   Census Place:   Hackney, London, Middlesex, England
   Source:   FHL Film 1341066     PRO Ref RG11    Piece 0307    Folio 88    Page 27
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Thomas WIGZELL   M   68    M   Holborn
   Rel:   Head   Handicap: Deaf & Dumb
   Occ:   Journey Bricklayer
Elizabeth WIGZELL   M   62    F   Durham, England
   Rel:   Wife   Handicap: Deaf & Dumb
   Occ:   Laundress
Flora WIGZELL       19    F   Islington
   Rel:   Daur

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks  :D
lilirose
Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline winto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi lilirose

One of my ancestors was born deaf. He was a child when the 1881 census was taken and was listed as being at the:
"Asylm For Deaf/Dumb Poor Children Victoria Rd, Margate, Kent"

Today this is school is called The Royal School for Deaf Children. Their web site address is: www.royalschoolfordeaf.kent.sch.uk

It says on their front page that they were founded in London in 1792 so they could well be able to help you. I know from my own research, that when my ancestor attended this school, his tuition was paid for but from the title of the school in those days, they obviously took children from poorer backgrounds. Even if your ancestors didnt attend this particualr school, they may be able to offer some advise of other institutions during the time frame concerned. They were extremely helpful when I contacted them and even went to so far as to search their archives and for a small fee they sent me copy school reports etc.

I hope this helps

Best regards
winto
Worsnop, Cutts, Mullins

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Winto,
thanks for that, I'll get in touch with them - I had found the school on a google search I did, but wasn't sure if I should contact them, it's great to get some firsthand feedback from someone who has.  :)
Many thanks, liliorse