Author Topic: Galashiels MI/ Burial index  (Read 30171 times)

Offline epfedin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Galashiels MI/ Burial index
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hiya

I've been working away on Eastlands- did another 7 hours today.  There are over 3300 stones, the vast majority of which have been recorded by a local, and very knowledgeable, volunteer - a huge effort which has been done over several years and in all weathers!

I'm completing the final checks and putting the index togetherand hope to have it finished within the next few weeks.

Ladhope has been recorded and is available from Borders FHS on cd - it includes photographs.

There is also a small cemetery at St Peters Episcopal church which will be recorded within the next week as well. 

Recording of Heatheryett is on the cards too.

Elma

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 08 September 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
Thats good Elma.  I take it the small cemetery at St Peter's is,  Gala aisle?  I was there today looking for a headstone, didn't find it but think BFHS have an index of the headstones in their room. 

CT.
Anderson, Baxter (Kirk Andrews on Esk), Goodfellow, Hunter, Lowrie, Hume of Hume, Dixon, Weatherston, Weddell, Clazy.   Trotter, Happer, Gillie  all Berwickshire or Roxburghshire, Scotland

Offline epfedin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 09 September 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hiya

Gala Aisle and St Peters are separate.  Gala Aisle is the old burial ground right on the main road into Gala.  St Peters is the Episcopal church - not very many stones there and quite overgrown.

BFHS have a copy of Nigels Hardie's new version of Gala Aisle (SGTranscriptions).  I think there is also a copy of the MI which were maybe recorded in the 60's. 

Elma

Offline Stephen B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 09 September 10 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hope not to silly a question but how can I get hold of a copy of the CD from Borders FHS?

Offline LowrieT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 09 September 10 22:13 BST (UK) »
Anderson, Baxter (Kirk Andrews on Esk), Goodfellow, Hunter, Lowrie, Hume of Hume, Dixon, Weatherston, Weddell, Clazy.   Trotter, Happer, Gillie  all Berwickshire or Roxburghshire, Scotland

Offline susandun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 24 June 11 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hello, can anyone tell me which cemetries in Gala have OLD stones, I'm looking for one death probably not long after 1841, another between 1829 and 1841 and then beyond that really into the 18th century. There is nothing at the Aisle. Are the any records at all for Boleside/Lindean?

Thanks so much for any help anyone can give.

Susan Dun

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 27 June 11 20:11 BST (UK) »
susandun , there are only about 10 listed graves at lindean and i can search them for you . I have never heard of a graveyard at Boleside and I do believe there may be a few unlisted stones in the overgrown family plot in Sunderland Hall.
I understand that "Heatheryett cemetery" in galashiels is nearly ready for publication by BFHS.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline susandun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 21:56 BST (UK) »
Alan that would be brilliant, thanks so much. I am looking for any Duns - should be one N but might be 2. I know there was an Andrew there in 1612 but then I have a gap of about 6 generations until a George at Hollybush at the very end of C18. George died in Gala but as far as I can see was not buried at the Aisle. Andrew was definately connected with Lindean/Boleside church (as far as I know they are the same) as there is a reference in Hall's History of Galashiels to him getting in trouble with the kirk session for driving corn on a Sunday! He was at Brigheugh just a couple of hundred yards down the Selkirk road then.

If you want my personal e-mail it's (*).

Susan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry no Dun/dunns in Lindean. Only 6 readable in the 1960s with names Soott,Henderson.Lee, Elliot,Ingles, Dickson,Brydon and Ker.
In the Auld Kirkyard Selkirk there is a Major John DUN died 1845 wife Dorothea Henderson. Another George DUN died 1736 aged 78 with a daughter Margaret. also a John DUNN died 1873 aged 58yrs wife Hyndmer Rutherford Hewat with a son Thomas and dau Hyndmer.

I have checked my index for the old cemetery by the Old Town Galashiels and found Euphemia DUN born 29-3-1816 died 23-1-1895 but i expect you have that one.
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders