Author Topic: Mavity's pre 1770  (Read 5754 times)

Offline mavityre

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mavity's pre 1770
« on: Tuesday 29 July 08 03:32 BST (UK) »
Greetings all.
I am looking for information on a Robert Mavity who married Margaret Morton.  They had a son named William b. 8 Nov 1747 and they came to America in 1765 to Virginia.
I believe they were from the Kinawley or Devenish areas since that's where I see Mortons and Mavity's, along with the other variations McVittie/McVity etc.. together.

I have done a 37 marker DNA test and am REAL close to the Glendennings of Dumfriesshire Scotland.
Other names that show up are Elliot, Irvine, Vance
The test reveals that approx. 300 years ago, I had a common ancestor with these Glendennings with a 95% probability.

There is even a McVittie hit but that person is further off than the Glendennings.

thanks

Brian Mavity

Offline James C McVittie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mavity's pre 1770
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 09 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Brian,
It sounds like you are having the same problem as me in terms of finding early records of McVtys or in my case McVitties in Ireland.
You mention a strong Scottish connection through DNA tests, just in case you haven't found the site as yet go to www.mcvittie.co.uk that is run by an Allan McVittie that might just give you some more clues for your early crowd! As I say you probably have already found it but in case you haven't.
The spelling of the name has varied to much over the centuries there could be some matches for you in the McVittie spelling.
Best of luck,
James McVittie

Offline dishep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
It's been a long while since I posted and it appears earlier posts are MIA. My search is for origins of William McVittie of Fermanagh born circa 1843 to James Maviety and Sarah Quinn.  Maguiresbridge is the location most often associated.  I know there were relatives left in Ireland around 1907 but they could be McVitties or Gunns.

I know William lived in Cavan after his marriage in 1866 to Sarah Gunn.  Some of the children were born there or Fermanagh. The family eventually went to Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland (1891 census)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 19 17:22 BST (UK) »

What makes you think your posts are missing??

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=249493

Just a matter of looking for them....many ways to find them including Search  and enter your user name there in relevant box

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 19 17:25 BST (UK) »

Or Click  Profile> Summary> Show Posts

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 19 17:39 BST (UK) »
It's been a long while since I posted and it appears earlier posts are MIA. My search is for origins of William McVittie of Fermanagh born circa 1843 to James Maviety and Sarah Quinn.  Maguiresbridge is the location most often associated.  I know there were relatives left in Ireland around 1907 but they could be McVitties or Gunns.

I know William lived in Cavan after his marriage in 1866 to Sarah Gunn.  Some of the children were born there or Fermanagh. The family eventually went to Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland (1891 census)

You obviously have the townlands they lived in, so why not say??

Children born born there or Fermanagh.
  Very vague and means people trying to help have to go looking for the details you have already found.

You know William lived in Cavan after his marriage in 1866 to Sarah Gunn...but won't post the townland he was from when he married, so anyone trying to help you needs to try and find James Maviety and Sarah Quinn to see when they died, find other children etc etc....

Anyone trying to assist you has to try and find the information you have already found.

Names, dates, Links to records found really help those trying to help you.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 19 12:11 BST (UK) »

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 May 19 21:59 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!