Author Topic: Docker/Dowker  (Read 4783 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Docker/Dowker
« on: Tuesday 29 July 08 15:30 BST (UK) »
I think I'm making a bit of progress with my Docker family in Heversham/Witherslack.

However, some of this involves entries on the IGI for the surname 'Dowker' rather than Docker. All the dates and events seem to fit but I'm a bit worried about this Docker/Dowker thing.

I've looked in my Oxford Dictionary of English Surnames, and Dowker doesn't have an entry, but neither is it given as an alternative to Docker.

Does anyone else have Dockers in their tree? What is your opinion of this Docker/Dowker riddle? Same name or completely different?  ???

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Docker/Dowker
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 18:41 BST (UK) »
Just say it in a northern accent and imagine the vicar writing it down!  If the dates etc fit then it is amost certainly the same lot.  I always use the IGI to see what variants show up for names and they usually have a few odd ones which I would never have thought of.
Andrea

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 18:57 BST (UK) »
That's part of my dilemma, sillgen.

I know the IGI (bless it!) is pretty good at including spelling variants when you do a search, but the bloomin' thing refuses to include Dowker when you search for Docker.  >:(

I think you're right, but I've already been up the wrong alley with this branch (Westmorland PRs are so difficult to come by if they're not on the IGI) so I don't want to make that mistake again.  ::)

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 21:20 BST (UK) »
I have looked in my directories for Kirkby Stephen and Appleby across the early 1800s and neither had Docker or Dowker so that is no help!    Are there any on the late 1700s one for Westmorland?  Can't remember the exact year but I think it is on genuki.  I have the Poll Book for Westmorland 1820 on CD but it is too late for me to concentrate on it now!   Wine with supper has not been good from that point of view.  If you want me to look I can check it tomorrow.  What years are you looking for?
Andrea

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 21:27 BST (UK) »
1740s and earlier, I'm afraid.

I've already tried to find some early directories for the area without any success - too early, I think.

I'm going to take a leap of faith and take the Dowkers as mine! It really would be too much of a coincidence, given that the names and dates fit. My only concern is that I start with Rebecca Docker baptised 1743 Heversham but can't find any instance of the name earlier in the Docker family. I get hung up on naming patterns. I know I shouldn't - what's wrong with them thinking " Rebecca, that's a nice name, let's call her that".   ::)

Enjoy your wine.... actually, that's a good idea, think I'll join you   ;D

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,

It seems that there have been quite a few people down the years with both these surnames, and both are equally common in the phone book today.

The origin of the name Docker could either be from the village on the way to Grayrigg from Kendal or, if you are looking at the Milnthorpe area, from an occupation as Sandside was Westmorland's only port 200/250 years ago.

I dont know about the origin of Dowker, but there is still a Dowker's Lane in Kendal today. It may be worth investigating this further.

Try not to spill your wine on the keyboard!

Regards

Chris

Offline lezlee50

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 January 21 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill
I'm wondering which line of Docker you have in your ancestry? I too have Docker from that area.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 21 00:42 GMT (UK) »
There is also an area near Arkholme called Docker, Docker Farm, Docker Garth and Docker Park Holiday Park are a few of the properties there. The Holiday Park was Docker Park farm for lots of years and my family used to farn there,
We used to visit Arkholme at least once a year as my family was from there, the Bownass family, I was born there and my parents had many friends in the village.  One family we used to visit always called my mother Mrs Bownass, pronouncing the Bow as in Cow, but we always pronounced the Bow matching bow and arrow. I wonder if this is a varient from that village which  could suggest where the Dowker came from.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Bunbury125

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 January 21 08:01 GMT (UK) »

"Does anyone else have Dockers in their tree? What is your opinion of this Docker/Dowker riddle? Same name or completely different?  ???"

I have Dowkers and Dovers in my family tree.

My Dowkers were from the Beetham area, there were a great many of them. Some settled in Kendal and some much  further away.
Pronunciation due to local accent would almost certainly affect the spelling as even today some people say it more like Dooker or Ducker.
If you want to share any information just let me know.

Regards

B

Reid, Munro, kempster: Edinburgh
Sutherland, Gunn: Caithness
Ferguson: Fife
McIntyre: Liverpool
Key: Newcastle On Tyne/ Norfolk
Lake, Brinded, Wymer, Briggs: Norfolk
Philipson, Kellet, Peet, Storrow, Leck, Gifford Willan, Dover Dowker, Casson Benson, Verty: Westmorland & Cumberland & Lancashire
Ludford, Allen, lockwood: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Trotter, Collier, Pollard, Cresswell: Northumberland