Author Topic: Unusual First Names  (Read 125159 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual First Names
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 19:25 BST (UK) »

Interestingly - "In Christian mythology, Salome was the daughter of Herodias and stepdaughter of Herod Antipas, ruler of Galilee in Palestine." Is Salome possibly also a Jewish name?
That said they aren't all from the same branch by any shot of the imagination.

It is not Christian Mythology. The Jewish Historian Josephus in Ant. 18. 136f. states that she was the daughter of Herodias, by her first husband Herod Philip. She is NOT named in the Gospels, although she is usually identified with the girl who danced before Herod. She married her father's half-brother Philip the tetrach.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 19:35 BST (UK) »
The name could be from the Salome in the New Testament, who is the woman who followed Christ to Jerusalem. Matthew appears to identify her with the mother of St. James and St. John. She is also sometimes identified with the sister of the Virgin Mary.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline claireandsi

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 19:42 BST (UK) »
Between me and my other half we have quite a few good names.

On my side - Ainger, Golding, Lancelot, Euphemia, Cornelius, Urbane, Railton, Thirza (as well as lots of Alexanders, Williams, Johns, etc)

On his side - Lemon, Obadiah, Phineas, Major (definitely name, not rank), Skinner, Jabez, Lettice, Keziah, Hyrum, Lorenzo (and no Italian connection whatsoever)

I have wondered where some of these came from, although when you hear some of the names given today, they seem quite tame in comprison

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 19:48 BST (UK) »
Apologies, Stan. I read that on victorianweb.org, I'm not familiar with a lot of the books (new or old) of the Bible
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline wildtech

• RootsChat Senior
  • 3rd Great grandfather Thomas Wild III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 19:57 BST (UK) »
Just noticed that JustKia has Kerenhappuch in her list and calirandsi has Keziah.  These were two of Job's (Bible OT) daughters after his tribulation.  The third was Jemimah:

Job 42:14  And he called the name of the first, Jemima; and the name of the second, Kezia; and the name of the third, Kerenhappuch.
Job 42:15  And in all the land were no women found so fair as the daughters of Job: and their father gave them inheritance among their brethren.
Wild, Weekly, MDX and BKM
Rayner, BKM
Smith, NTH and ESS

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 20:11 BST (UK) »
Euphemia was quite common a name in Scotland. I've got a number of them in one of my lines.

Some of the unusual ones I've got are Arrinda Bellzora, Hulda, Pyreus and Tychicus.

I've also got a number of ancestors who were named after famous people: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and William Madison (twins), Lafayette, Horatio Nelson, Ulysess S. Grant and the list goes on.
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 20:37 BST (UK) »
I have 5 Jemimia's, 3 Kezia's, 2 Keziah's (all different families - ie not passed on) and there's two Kerenhappuch's (mother and daughter).
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 20:57 BST (UK) »
Just been given the family tree for the french side of my family (my mother's) and found the name Scolastique VOLANT (1766 - 1812).
All the other christian names are names I've come across before (even Philibert), but this one I've never seen before! ???
Paulene :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
The French form of Scholastica (a saint's name):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Scholastica
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!