Author Topic: Unusual First Names  (Read 125170 times)

Offline Pattersontribe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual First Names
« Reply #279 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 15:49 BST (UK) »
Annie65115, My Shem and Noah were from Oxford, St Peter le Bailey to be exact. Noah had a daughter Sarah Crapper who married John Brooks and had John Hadden, Sarah (my direct ancestor),Charles Jabez, Aaron and Hannah. I love that I have a Noah in my family. I think he 's maybe my 5 or 6 great-grandfather. My grand-dad Noah. Names could be really interesting in those days! And spelling didn't matter, names were usually written by other people and changed every time. Kind of makes the made up ones of today seem dull and quite usual. Victoria

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Monday 30 July 18 11:06 BST (UK) »
Think my most unusual one is probably Ogle. Full name Ogle Russell Lafont, Ogle was the surname of his great grandmother

Cristeen, I have just discovered that I have two ancestors who have Ogle as a first name. I'd be interested to hear more about your connection with the family as I am trying to work out how my ancestors, Watsons, ended up having the name Ogle.

Martin

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Monday 30 July 18 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin, The connection is way back in a branch of my husband's line. Ogle Russell Lafont was a descendant of Rev Thomas Ogle, vicar of Carham. He was apparently descended from the second son of the 4th Lord Ogle. This branch of the Ogle family were of Causey Park, Morpeth. The Rev Thomas was bondsman for my OH 5xG grandfather and probably married him at Carham in 1746. Thomas Ogle's daughter, Jane married a merchant from London called John Lafont. Their son, John married my OH's indirect descendant, Jane Steavenson (daughter of the man who married in Carham 1746)
There is a Google book 'A History of Northumberland by John Hodgson 1827, which contains a fair amount of information on the family. I haven't delved too deeply into this branch so have no corroboration. I do know the Ogle family were quite widespread in Northumberland, minor landed gentry. Here is a link to the book
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=lIuAejPVbEwC&pg=PA135&lpg=PA135&dq=ogle+family+history+cawsey+park&source=bl&ots=j4GRqQACDR&sig=vcT0zSQieLexY97NLhReIzaEvCw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwib3OOC08bcAhVnCcAKHUhxBIwQ6AEwCHoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false
and a snippet from the family pedigree I am using as a guide only, slowly confirming/discounting various items!
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 13:11 BST (UK) »
Not an unusual first name but an unusual combination.

On the Lincolnshire page there is a post about Louth records. There is an Adam Eve listed on the 1823 ratings list. Tickled my fancy
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Cor blimey, as one used to say..... ;)  the other day I was "looking into" the family tree of a lady known as "Auntie" in my OH's family, but not actually related, as you do. ::)  I was about to post on here then, that I'd found a person whose first name was Milestone.  Didn't bother that day but today as I entered his name into my FTM tree, up popped the message saying I'd reached 2400 persons in my tree - quite a milestone.  How's that for a coincidence?  Milestone was the maiden name of the child's paternal grandmother.  His full name was Milestone Thompson (mother's maiden name) Dobson.  An earlier child was named William Milestone but he died in infancy.

Looking at FreeBMD entries there seems to be only one other person saddled with Milestone as a first name, or should that be Millstone... though there is a female Milistone.

Offline Liviani

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Thursday 02 August 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
I have a Theodosia and daughter Philadelphia. Both born St Cyrus, Kincardineshire, Scotland. Both female.

Daughter Philadelphia was named after Theodosia's mother who was born Philadelphia Hodges, born London, England.

Theodosia's siblings had common names; Jane, William and James.
mtDNA subclade K1b2b. Father's Y-DNA I-S25383
GEDmatch kit; CF7867455
Father's kit; RY1336515
Mother's kit; AF2312865

Kincardineshire
Sheret, Hosie, Valentine, Crow, Beattie, McArthur, Wyllie.
Angus (Forfarshire)
Adam, Valentine, Ewan, Elder, Guild, Kydd, Bradford, Stronner, Gibson, Cloudsley, Evans, Stewart, Stott.
Perthshire
Small, Robertson, Murray, Kennedy, McGregor
Ross & Cromarty
Cameron, Stewart, Grant
Banffshire - Gamrie
Anderson, Massie

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Sunday 05 August 18 02:03 BST (UK) »
Yesterday found we have a Zenas Dunn his name is really hashed about by  census transcribers etc from Zenns to Fennus through Lenus and more
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Sunday 05 August 18 03:35 BST (UK) »
I have a Martha Washington Centennial Liberty Price, born in July 1876.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline redroy

• RootsChat Extra