Author Topic: Unusual First Names  (Read 125174 times)

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual First Names
« Reply #351 on: Saturday 18 April 20 22:35 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Igor and Sloe Gin (great to bump in to you both seems years since the olde Inne) , and Annie it makes a deal of sense my Frissis/Friscis etc are all from the Withey and Cassington districts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mother and son
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: Sunday 19 April 20 05:29 BST (UK) »
I have just found a Cockcroft Crabtree. That seems unfortunate ;)
Honour your female ancestors by remembering to record woman by their maiden name.

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: Thursday 30 April 20 20:16 BST (UK) »
I have probably already contributed my greatgrandmother's name  to this or a similar thread. We have recently by chance solved the mystery of her unusual name, or so we believe
She was Hosetta Wimpenny, born Holmfirth West Yorks, mid 1800's. No named father, mother unm'd.
Hosetta is a  so very unusual, even unique name that it had always puzzled us.
Until a relative on the female line, had a dna test, and found traces of Iberian/Spanish ancestry, in an otherwise entirely North European profile.
Lightbulb moment!  Hosetta, the Spanish pronunciation of Josetta, little girl of Jose.
Still seeking our Spanish greatgrandfather, though. Jose, certainly, but who and why was he, apparently fleetingly, in the Holme Valley?

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: Thursday 30 April 20 21:32 BST (UK) »
I have probably already contributed my greatgrandmother's name  to this or a similar thread. We have recently by chance solved the mystery of her unusual name, or so we believe
She was Hosetta Wimpenny, born Holmfirth West Yorks, mid 1800's. No named father, mother unm'd.
Hosetta is a  so very unusual, even unique name that it had always puzzled us.
Until a relative on the female line, had a dna test, and found traces of Iberian/Spanish ancestry, in an otherwise entirely North European profile.
Lightbulb moment!  Hosetta, the Spanish pronunciation of Josetta, little girl of Jose.
Still seeking our Spanish greatgrandfather, though. Jose, certainly, but who and why was he, apparently fleetingly, in the Holme Valley?

What a fascinating story - did you quarter the 1861 Census in Netherthong for anyone called Jose?
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: Friday 01 May 20 14:05 BST (UK) »
Wold have bene great if they used more unusual names, then again if they did, it would be more instances of those with such names, and would still involve trying to work out which one is which. I did mention the wife of an ancestor's sibling called Spanisher Robson. If more used Spanisher as a forename it would be more Spanisher Smith's everywhere.

I have an ancestors cousin called Melbourne Auber.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: Friday 01 May 20 15:14 BST (UK) »
I recently came across a Smoker Andrews on 1881 census, he’s nothing to do with my tree but his name stuck in my memory.

Offline ms_canuck

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: Friday 01 May 20 17:46 BST (UK) »
I have an Ughtred James Paul in my tree - he's a first cousin/3x removed.  He was born in Jersey, Channel Islands.  I looked up the origin:

The surname Ughtred was first found in Suffolk where the surname is descended from the tenant Uthret, recorded in 1066 and again in the Domesday Book census of 1086. However, some of the family were found at Towthorpe in the East Riding of Yorkshire in ancient times.

Also found a Hephzibah Lister.  Looked that one up too and she was the daughter of King Hezekiah (Old Testament) and mother of Manasseh.  In Hebrew, her name means 'my delight is in her'.  In one census, she is recorded as Esphey which would seem to be a short form used by her family.

Cheers

Ms_C

1. Paul - Guernsey 1801
2. Ettenton / Eltenton - Guernsey 1806

Offline bykerlads

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: Friday 01 May 20 17:57 BST (UK) »
Uhtred is the fictional name of the hero of the Netflix series The Last Kingdom. About the invasion of the Vikings and the gradual creation of a united England.
It is meant to be a Viking name, I think, so rather appropriate rhat the name should appear in Suffolk.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: Saturday 02 May 20 03:03 BST (UK) »
Uhtred is the fictional name of the hero of the Netflix series The Last Kingdom. About the invasion of the Vikings and the gradual creation of a united England.
It is meant to be a Viking name, I think, so rather appropriate rhat the name should appear in Suffolk.
He is apparently named after a real ancestor of Bernard Cornwell.
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-10-22/how-bernard-cornwell-sought-inspiration-from-his-own-family-history-for-viking-drama-the-last-kingdom/
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.