Author Topic: SHARMANS of Earl Stonham  (Read 3041 times)

Offline afinch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SHARMANS of Earl Stonham
« on: Tuesday 29 July 08 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, I noted your interest in the Sharmans of Earl Stonham. I am descended from a John SHARMAN born there in 1797. He was married in Malta in 1826, had a son there and a daughter Mary Clara SHARMAN in Algiers in 1830. By 1833 he was a gardener in Brixton in South London where he stayed until at least 1867.

I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has any data from Sharman of Earl Stonham and any ideas why John SHARMAN travelled around so much. I cannot find records of him in the army, for example.

Adrian

Offline Rick

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Emails are not working at the moment sorry
    • View Profile
Re: SHARMANS of Earl Stonham
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 14:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome Adrian! :)

I have split your post off of cjtrigg's completed post about the SHARMANS and I have sent him a copy of your post by Personal Message in case he can help.  I have also moved your post over to the "active" Suffolk General forum because  I believe that you may have a better chance of getting in touch with other SHARMAN researchers here.  It may also be a good idea to register your surnames on our SURNAME INTERESTS TABLE.

http://surname.rootschat.com/

Kind Regards
Rick :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cjtrigg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHARMANS of Earl Stonham
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 08 08:38 BST (UK) »
My Sharmans seem to mostly be from Pettaugh, with just the one generation being buried at Earl Stonham so I'm not sure that I'll be any help!  But very interesting that John Sharman travelled so much with no army records to be found.  How far have you looked into military records?  Would the navy be another option? Perhaps he was a trader of some sort...

Despite no direct link, there's probably a good chance that my Sharmans are probably related to John in some way given the proximity.