Author Topic: Donegal brickwall (McGinlay, Collins, Stretch)  (Read 7702 times)

damnonii

Donegal brickwall (McGinlay, Collins, Stretch)
« on: Thursday 31 July 08 18:18 BST (UK) »
My McGinley's are driving me crazy lol.  It was going great (thanks mostly to Lindel Buckley's site) and now the records have let me down.  Any help would be appreciated.

The farthest back I have is Thomas McG b. 1820s, a bootmaker from Donegal.  I think he is likely the Thomas in Dunfanaghy Main Street in Griffiths. 

He was married to a woman who is written on the 1871 census simply as 'Arabe' and I'm completely stumped with this name.  I attached a pic below just in case someone has any other ideas.  I get no results for Arabel or Arabella and I can't think of anything else it might be or find any other records which might have it, including their marriage certificate which should be in Donegal.

Their family migrated to Glasgow, Scotland about the 1860s.

They had six children that I know of:
John, born c.1843
Charles, born c.1844-48
Thomas, born c.1845
Hyslop, born c.1847
Catherine, born c. 1853
Mary Ann, born c.1855

Charles is my ggg-grandfather.  I can't find birth certificates for any of the children and all of them seem to disappear of the Scottish record after this, apart from Charles who is in later censuses but again, doesn't have a death cert. I though at least some of the family might have went back to Ireland but I can't find any records for them in Donegal either.  Now how does a man called Hyslop McGinlay do a vanishing act? 
(His name intrigues me.  I thought it might be 'Arabe's' maiden name. in which case it's very Scottish, not Irish, as is Arabella.)

Charles married Jane Collins in Clondahorky Chapel in 1864 and her parents and siblings also migrated.  Her parents were Neil C and Mary Stretch.  Neil's parents were Neil C and Rose Brannan and Mary's were William Stretch and Jane Green. 
I can't find anything for the Stretch's (also Stratch, Streatch etc) or Collins in Donegal.   Particularly Stretch which doesn't appear to be a local surname at all.  Can anyone help me there?

Sorry for being so long, any gleans of info would be very welcome.

Lora

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Donegal brickwall (McGinlay, Collins, Stretch)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 31 July 08 18:34 BST (UK) »
Not sure what religion these families were but civil registration of Catholic marriages began 1864 and other marriages from 1845, births and deaths from 1864. Before these dates there will be no certificates. Church records are another matter and dates and information vary greatly according to the church and the particular minister.
IGI lists 4 children for Charles McGinley and Jane Colins: Letitia (1864 Dunfanaghy district), Patrick (1869 Scotland), Thomas (1871 Scotland), Jane (1873 Scotland).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

damnonii

« Reply #2 on: Thursday 31 July 08 21:48 BST (UK) »
thanks that's good to know the exact dates for records, they were Catholic, so Charles and Jane's marriage and Letitia's birth is luckily just on the cusp.  I won't hold out much hope then for getting Thomas and 'Arabe's' marriage or anything more on the Stretch, Collins line unless I get to Clondahorky myself. 

wow I can't believe I never found the other children.  I had Letitia as well as my g-grandmother Mary Ann and James from the census.  But I never thought to check the IGI for Scottish births after 1855. 
Now I've got another mystery though - Patrick isn't on the 1871 census or 1881 by the looks of things and I can't find a death between 1869 and 1871 so I don't know where he is. 

I forgot to say that Jane died young in 1877, Letitia went to stay with her grandparents the Collins' (Charles went into a batchelors accomodation place and Mary Ann went off the rails).  At the time I didn't know there were any younger kids but now I know there was 2.  I'm going to have fun trying to find them in 1881, but the bonus is it will probably help identify other relatives. 

Offline Annraoi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 August 08 11:10 BST (UK) »

Hi Lora
            I found another daughter of Charles McGinley/McGinlay  and Jane Collins for you.

Catherine: born 21st July 1866 Dunfanaghy.

Also:-
 1901 Census of Dunfanaghy gives just one Collins household:
    [children of John COLLINS and Catherine McGINLEY MRIN #7039]
Dunfanaghy-Main Street
B #57
Catherine Collins, Head; Age 23yrs.
Thomas Collins, Brother; Age 19yrs.
Cornelius Collins, Brother; Age 16yrs.
George Collins, Brother; Age 13yrs.
Joseph Collins, Brother; Age 9yrs.

Henry

The Families of North West Donegal.

damnonii

« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 August 08 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

Oh dear, just when I think I'm getting quite good at this genealogy I find I'm missing people right left and centre! although in my defence on Catherine's birth her father is listed as Clark. 

The Collins siblings in 1901 is interesting.  Their parents were John Collins and Catherine McGinley and I was wondering if a brother and a sister married a brother and a sister.  I can't find the marriage just now but I'll look into it.

Lora

Offline annty

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 February 11 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lora, my name is Ann young, i am the great grandaughter of John and Catherine Collins (Nee Mcginley). I also think that there was more than one marriage between these two families. Have you found any marriage records yet. My Granfather is Joseph Collins, the youngest of the collins family who lived on Main street Dunfanaghy. I think my great grandfathers sister married my great grandmothers brother. I know a good bit about the Collins side of the family but very little about the Mcginleys. My great grandmother (Catherine Mcginley) died shortly after the birth of my grandfather. I believe John remarried later and had another child, a girl, i think her name may have been Isobel. Does any of this ring any bells. = )

damnonii

« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 February 11 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it's nice to hear from you.  Since posting I have found some more information, although there's still plenty of mysteries! Unfortunately I now know that Charles's sister Catherine married John Chambers in Glasgow in 1873, so she's not your great grandmother.  I still don't know what the connection is to your family if there is one, although it seems quite likely.  Does anything from my Collins line match up?  I know Jane had siblings called Samuel and Mary Anne and her parents and grandparents are in my first post.

Also to update my first post, I've found out that Thomas's wife 'Arabe' is Grace Molloy.  Still don't know what Hyslop's real name is, although I've been racking my brains trying to think of names that in an Irish accent might sound like Hyslop to a Scots ears!
Thomas's parents were Patrick McGinlay and Mary McAulay, Grace's parents were John Molloy and Mary McGinnes.

Offline magz56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 October 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
hi lora,i have been doing my partners tree,his ggrandfather was james mcginlay whose parents were charles mcginlay and jane collins.i haven`t long started so i have`nt got too far back.i have found jane and neil collins death in glasgow,also mary stretch but not charles mcginlay`s.i will be going back to edinburgh in a couple of weeks so i will try again.

margaret

damnonii

« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 October 11 14:01 BST (UK) »
edited as aghadowey has pointed out below that you won't be able to see my pm.  (Sorry, it's been a while since I've been on here and I'd forgotten.)

It's great to hear from you  ;D

I'm descended from James's sister Mary Ann.  I've got a bit further since that original post, you can see my tree at mcginlay.tribalpages.com.  If you contact me through there I'll send the password and my email.  Charles McGinlay died 2nd Oct 1907 in Glasgow.  I can send a copy of the certificate from Scotland's People if you like?  Also happy to pass anything else along and share info.

Lora  ;)