Author Topic: goldsmith hughes johnson family in kent probable travellers  (Read 25142 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: goldsmith hughes johnson family in kent probable travellers
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 August 08 22:34 BST (UK) »
debusa,thanks for that,cathayb,how about this ancestor in my tree that i cant find on census,Joseph Locke,b1847,high wycombe,bucks.wife unknown,daughter louisa locke b1875,east london. 

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 August 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
debs.we have all been wondering where you were on passing through.matilda,tiggi.coleene,sue day from romany genes(i dont know her pass word on here,jax(jackie)jfc7980,irene colbert,still looking,oh loads and loads from here.its really good.there is a chat room and loads of pages and people will help each other with lookups etc.,quite abit about penfolds,smiths,smalls,orchards,hollands,stanleys,coopers.alot that went to america or aussie.i real;ly enjoy it.i have a scavenger hunt on here next week.i am not quite sure which line i am going to do yet.i was going to do golby/birch but i have just about wrapped them up today.nelwild has worked it out at last.hes on passing through now.are you going join?anyway as soon as i find a def link to nels romanies i will post it here.speak soon oh did you get what i sent you.i am still trying to find the tree i have on london penfolds.i dont know where i put it.christopher penfold from devon who married gess turns up in london.london penfolds start with a moses penfold who married a collinson.must go cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 August 08 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi cathay

i will sign up asap ...am going to the beach for a few days ... so will be back soon.

Which Chriopher married Gess? my great great uncle Christopher Penfold (brother of Thomas who married sophia Orchard) married Carnation Richards and then Mariah Boswell. Then only penfold marrying a gess that I have is Charlotte Penfold = Henry Gess..they were with the travelling showmen gypsies.

PS sorry to Hijack your thread , Nelwild  ::) ;D

Cathay ..thanks got your emails ... :-*

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 August 08 23:24 BST (UK) »
it wasnt that one.i will have to check tomorrow as i havent found the bloody tree yet.i was putting stacks of stuff on my slave drive today which is in another computer drive and it takes ages to load up but i think i put the tree in there.old age dosnt come alone.i am having alot of senior moments!!!sorry.its in the same family you are talking about charlotte marrying henry but a generation on.patience gess he married i do know.have a good few days on the beach.i will have something here for you when you get back,will you miss my scavenger hunt next tuesday?cathayb.  check your emails at home address nel.i have sent you joseph locks details.cathayb

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 14:18 BST (UK) »
Cathayb,many thanks for info on joseph lock,he doesnt really look like a gypsy,but you never know with a name like lock,old family with welsh connections unless im mistaken,ive uncovered a few more things on goldsmiths etc,will post later as ive got to go out now.regards.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 14:22 BST (UK) »
i am not going to be able to do alot this week as i have suddenly come up on the scavenger hunt.but your welcome to join it.i will send a link cause kent gypsies will come into it.love cathayb

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 22:09 BST (UK) »
Cathayb,ive made contact on GenesReunited with a direct descendent of moses goldsmith,hes only got about 63 people on his tree so far,but what hes given me has enabled me to progress a bit further.Moses Goldsmith was born in hellingly,e sussex in 1828,his wife was Sarah Stone b1828 in Sellinge or Ashford,Kent.On the 1841,he was in the union workhouse,parish of hellingly age 10,with brother William Goldsmith age 11.He died at the age of 30 and theres no further mention of him on the census.On the 1851,theres William Goldsmith b1831,Hellingly,Sussex,brickmaker,visiting Richard Stone b1824,Hythe,Kent,hawker,and Kesiah Stone (nee Goldsmith},b1817,Hellingly,Sussex.This Richard is almost certainly connected to the William Stone staying in a caravan next to Thomas Goldsmith on 1881.Next to Richard and Keziah at Kings Alley is Thomas Andrews b Edmonton,Middlesex,umbrella maker,Mary b1812,Ireland,John b1841,Chatham.I cant find any other reterence to William on census.On 1861,Richard Stone,b Canterbury(not far from hythe) Kezia Stone,b1810,Brighton(not far from Hellingly,see what you mean about making slight alterations)Both are hawkers,and staying with them is George Goldsmith b1846,Middlesex,London,also a hawker.On 1881,Richard Stone,b 1818,Hellingly(his wifes birthplace) Kezia Stone b1818,Sittingbourne(where many of her family lived)and Emma Clark b1853, London,Middlesex,niece,servant out of employ,all in a travelling van in Acre Road,Kingstone,Surrey.In the other vans their are William Cooper,b 1842,Long Ditton,wife Elizabeth b Woking,kids John 1864 Reigate, Harry 1868,Coombe,Caroline 1871,Kingstone,William 1873,Richard 1876,Rhoda 1878,all Kingston,all scholars.William and John are horsedealers.With them is Anne Botton,b1850,Maidstone,Kent,sister,widow,laundress,Elizabeth Botton,niece b1874,Leatherhead,scholer,Georgina b 1877,Leatherhead,scholar.Then Henry Taylor b1854,Maldon,hawker,Elizabeth b1855 maidstone,kent,hawker,Henry b1880 Farningham,Surrey.Then Charles Phillips b1841,Essex,hawker,Elizabeth b 1851,Middlesex,hawker, Walter b1873,chelmsford,Sophia Kenton,b1853,croydon,niece,Martha King b 1864 Canterbury,Kent.Then Job Davis b 1841,Wimbledon,hawker,Elizabeth b1853,Brighton,hawker,kids Elizabeth b1868 brighton,Job b1870,Esher,Leonard b1873,Epsom,Walter b1875,Esher,Amy b1877,Ripley.Then Elizabeth Stanley b sussex, hawker,William b1857,brighton,Alice b1864,gosport.Then Simson W Day,b1864,putney,smith,Emma G,b1857,horsham,Simson W b1878,Edith M b1880,Walter b1880,all Horsham,then Frederick Houndon b1846,kingstone,Sarah a b1847,east peckham,kent.Richard Yeardly tailor,b leeds,york.Ive listed these neighbours as theres names there that you mentioned earlier.Theres nothing conclusive on 1891 or 1901 for Richard and Kesia,so il go and do a bit more and post again later,regards.

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 22:18 BST (UK) »
Cathayb,i forgot to mention on last post that on 1861,Richard and Keziah are in bell lane,bridge,ipswich.Cant find them on the1871,back soon.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 22:29 BST (UK) »
have you been getting my emails to your home address?do please use the link to go to the scavenger hunt on here.its my hunt and we are doing kent/surry/london gypsies.yours are def gypsies.i have found kezia batism in kent and quite a few gyposy goldsmiths.i will send them to you at abba.speak soon cathay.