Author Topic: goldsmith hughes johnson family in kent probable travellers  (Read 25161 times)

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: goldsmith hughes johnson family in kent probable travellers
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 August 08 17:19 BST (UK) »
debs,i lost your email address in a computer crash.lost all my adresses.i will pm you with my email address ina minute.i have some stuff someone sent me on london penfolds and also on kent penfolds.i havent tied them to the devon penfolds yet.i dont think i can put attachments on here so you will need to let me have your email address before i can them to you.love cathayb   neilwild,sorry i got your name wrong just now.have you got the pms i sent to you yet.please email me if you have.cathay.  have i already asked but have you any golbys,or james,or penfolds,or birches,or taylors,coopers,in your line amongst all the others.cathayb
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 August 08 17:56 BST (UK) »
Cathayb,im really sorry,ive tried sending a couple of messages but im blowed if i can get the hang of it,im justy going to have another go,also i couldnt get on the wetpaint link,nelwild.

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 August 08 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Nelwild ...welcome ....

I have just tried Cathay's link and it doesn't work for me either  :-\  you could google Passing through ...

hold on ..this may work ;
http://passingthrough.wetpaint.com/?t=anon

deb  :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 August 08 18:26 BST (UK) »
i got your pm debs.will send some stuff through in a minute.neil i get your messages asking if i got your messages.when you ask that question next time  give me your home email address.in the meantime look at the top of your page on here.it should say welcome neilwild you have 4 messages allnew,press on messages and they should show..that link for passing through def works.i just tried it.you will have to join passing through to look at members and email them.tell you what i will post my address on their now.it will be under the heading whats new.look for cathayb.theres aload on there for snippets aswell so as you will know your on the right page.keep trying.cathayb

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 August 08 19:56 BST (UK) »
anyone still around or have you given up trying to find passing through and my personel messages to you.cathayb

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 August 08 21:13 BST (UK) »
Cathayb,ive been looking through my tree and on ancestry/Genes Reunited site to try and find a few things,ill post it here just in case then try the personal message next time.Ive got some of my Ayres ancestors,but they sound far too settled to be travellers.William Ayres b1790 living bethnel green,london, occ.weaver.birthplace unknown,first marriage Martha Robinson b 1790,place unknown,second marriage Mary Wells b1797 place unknown.Williams sons are william b shoreditch,london 1814.occ.furniture dealer,wife eliza cowley b1814 e.london.kids are eliza 1835,emily,1838,susannah,1840,elizabeth1842,frederick1846,mary1848,ann1850,henry1853,henrietta1855,george1858,edmond1861,all born east london.Williams second son is Henry b1817,,bethnel green,third is george b1821 bethnel green,he marries elizabeth robinson b1818 place unknown(another robinson)her parents are william robinson b1795 bethnel green,weaver,martha b1795 birthplace unknown.Georges kids are mary,1838,william,1841,george,1844,elastic cord maker,henry1846,elizabeth1862,all in bethnel green.George marries alice loring 1874,bethnel green,their kids are george 1891 who marries elizabeth watson b1890,place unknown,alice1892 who marries jack brown b1890 place unknown,alice1893 who marries frederick cassidy birthplace unknown,florence1898 who marries frederick adams b1898b/p unknown,dundonald b1900,ernest b1902,marries cissy wells(another one)b1897b/p unknown,hilda b1906,dot b1908,jenny b1910 all bethnel green.Elizabeth( 1862)marriesjames eldridge,b1859,bethnel green.packing case maker,kids hilda b1877,elizabeth who marries harry coveney b1885,james b1888,william1894,leonard1894. James eldridges parents robert b1828 b/g,shoemaker journeyman,mary slater b1830 place unknown'Robert eldridges father thomas was born norwich,mother unknown.Mary slater also married frederick chapman b1842 b/g.these sound far to settled to be travellers,and im sure that weaver wasnt a romany occupation,but you never know.The louisa fisher i mentioned earlier was born sittingbourne 1842,charwoman on 1861,on 1851 shes at crown yard,sittingbourne with father richard b1802,murston,brickfield labourer,mother jane coppings b c1823 faversham,charwoman.cant find a richard fisher that fits on 1841,and the only possibility for jane is jane coppins,b1826 faversham,living at st.annes cross pub,faversham with samuel smith b1801,hawker,martha smith b1797,john smith b1817, thomas weller b1761,labourer(still working at 80)andmary weller b1771.One of my main family lines is coppins,but it has many variations generally,and about five different spellings in my tree,including coppin,cappin,capper,copper,copping/s,.My gggg grandfather was a tinman/smith from high halden ,kent.On the 1841 he was daniel copping,but for the rest of his life till he died at 97,he was coppins,His wife hester staples was coppins through her married life,but copping on her death certificate.Hello to deb usa,what you mentioned earlier about the sheppey marriage looks possible,the goldsmiths had a sheppy connection,and on one census samuel hughes first name had been crossed out and replaced with paul thomas.Im off to do a bit more searching but will be back soon,bye for now.

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 August 08 21:35 BST (UK) »
um not sure about those ayres at all.like you say far too settled.were they living in houses?  go to the top of this page.can you see welcome nelwild?if you can does it then  say you have 4 new messages or a least a number of messages?the word message should be in blue.click once ,left click and it should open your messages page.scroll down til you see cathayb and click on to open.if you and debs are still having trouble with passing through try this one in your web although i can get on it by pressing debs connection back a couple of posts.your wells and hughes look promising tell us more about them.    http://passingthrough.wetpaint.com/?t=anon

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 04 August 08 21:36 BST (UK) »
by the way are you nel or neil.male or female.sorry to be so thick cathayb

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 August 08 22:15 BST (UK) »
hi cathay and nelwild

Nelwild ...the easiest way to PM anyone is to click on their name to the left ...eg: above cathay's picture or mine...you will then be on that person's profile ... scroll down a bit and you will see " send this Rootschatter a personnal message" ...click on that and start typing :)

other than that ... there is a little scrolly thingie underneath our pictures ...you can click on that too. If we are green (scrollie thingie :) )  that means we are on-line, if dark = off-line.

Cathay ... I managed to wrk my way around Passing Through ... thanks for that ...I didn't know it had gone into messaging etc ... I see matilda is there too :)

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk