Author Topic: Why South Africa?  (Read 10579 times)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Why South Africa?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 August 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
...and by the miracle of out mods - you're there!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 August 08 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much - no wonder I keep recommending this site to everyone

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 August 08 23:30 BST (UK) »
Very interesting question. At the time you are talking about you could not be born a British subject in the Transvaal or Orange Free State as they were Boer Republics. I am not sure whether children of Britons had any way of being registered with the British Ambassadors in those Republics.

However, the Cape and Natal were under British rule and that including diamond finds at Kimberley.

The gold mining on the Witwatersrand was deep mining and many stationery steam engines were used for lifts and for pumping. But as I say that was in the Transvaal.

However Cecil John Rhodes was engaged in fostering a railway from the Cape to Cairo. So if he followed his trade, he was as Meles says, most likely to have been engaged on the railways.

It is very hard to trace South African births before 1901 in the Cape and 1910 elsewhere.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 August 08 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much. Probably have to leave it there and just be thankful he wasn't a close relative.
Jan

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 August 08 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan - one of my ancestors went to South Africa in about 1902/3.   He was a railway wagon builder - so presumably that was the work he did when he got there.    He took his wife and small children with him to live there. 

He lived in Salt River - which is a suburb of Cape Town.

Another interesting thing we found out is that he joined the Cape Field Artillery out there - He wasn't a regular soldier - it was more of a part time militia/TA regiment. 

Milly

:)
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 August 08 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone who helped

Just to let you know a contact (also a second cousin so many removed!!) has just found Annie Howell (28) Charles Howell (6) Lily Howell (4) and Anne Howell (2) sailing on the SS Anglian from Southampton to Durban, Port Natal, South Africa on 3rd January 1890. No mention of her husband Charles William Howell so he was probably already there. She obviously met up with him as a few months later Robert Allen Howell was born!

Thanks for your help

Janet

Offline daisy14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, just to let you know that I am working on the same family tree as you are, Annie Howell was my Great Grandmother.  Annie also had a son Timothy who was born in South Africa and died as a child. 

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Groom

you could have a look at the Sth Africa Archives records,  (NARS)

http://www.national.archives.gov.za/

Daizi

Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline daisy14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 08:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,  Looks like the mention of Timothy can be disregarded as my Mother may have been having a senior moment, however I will be seeing an elderly cousin daughter of Lily Howel ( one of Annie's daughters) at the weekend and will ask her if she know's why they went to S.A
Daisy