Author Topic: Alice Gardner - Guernsey  (Read 14246 times)

Offline Tillyboo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Alice Gardner - Guernsey
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 December 08 13:23 GMT (UK) »

Oh My, that's brilliant. I've not had a lot of time recently as it's a busy time for my little home business (I'm a textile artist) but this'll be some brilliant bedtime reading. I'll pass on any extra info I have of Alice to you.

Thanks so much for sharing this with me. My family will be completely amazed !

Many, many thanks !   ::)

Offline otherbloke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 24 May 09 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurie & Sue etc!

Got a feeling we're related!

My Dad was Alan George Henry Tilbury, & my Grandad was Alan Henry Tilbury. In Gospost I had Auntie Doll & Auntie Nene, & in Woking I had Auntie Lil (all Great Aunts). As I was very young indeed when they passed on, I don't remember too much about some of them I'm afraid. I hope this is of some interest to you.

As I don't want to put my actual first name on here, I'll go by my middle name ie. "Alan", named after my Dad. I don't mind letting you know my name, but would only put it in an e-mail, not on here..

All the best..

Alan..  :)

Offline otherbloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 24 May 09 23:46 BST (UK) »
........er sorry......that should have read "GOSPORT" not Gospost!!..  ::)

Offline Bob2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 January 12 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have been researching my family tree and have now started on the Tilbury / Gardner side of the tree, some of the information I have may be of interest to you.

Alice Gardner dob: 1860 .. Father : John Gardner (Butcher) of Guernsey, Henry James Tilbury
dob: 1863 Father : Daniel Tilbury (Gardner). Both Alice and Henry were in service at Woodend House Soberton, Hampshire. Alice was a house maid and Henry was the footman they married at the Parish Church of St Mary Lambeth, Surrey on October 27th 1881. It seems that Alice was a runaway bride and was pregnant or had their first born Laura dob: 1882 and they ran away to London to marry. Henry then became a Police Constable, in 1891 Alice and Henry lived at  1 Ivy Cottage Alverstoke, Gosport, Hampshire and Henry was a General labour. 
The family story goes something like this: the Gardner family (John and Caroline) from Guernsey, (Caroline being a bit prim and proper) were not best pleased when they found out that Alice had married Henry but after a while they come round to the fact.
The story continues that John and Caroline Gardner used to send Alice, Henry and family money so they could visit them in Guernsey, they also sent some extra on the proviso that Henry purchased a new suit for their visit.

Hope this is of interest

If you have any photographs of the Tilbury / Gardner side of the family I would be most interested to see them.

Robert

Offline Bob2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 January 12 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Re : Alice Gardner

I should have mentioned that at the time of marriage 1881 in London Henry lied about his age and said he was 21 years of age when in fact he was 18. He also may not have been a Police Constable even though he said he was, they both put their residence as (Hangale ? Street)

Robert

Offline otherbloke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 January 12 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert..
It's strange you should have added your information on this today, as today is the anniversary of my Dad's death..
My Dad, Alan George Henry Tilbury, passed on at the very young age of 42 years on Monday 30th. January 1956. He had a coronary thrombosis. I was just 9 years old & we lived in New Haw, Weybridge, Surrey, which is where he died suddenly..
My Mum, Monica, continued on until well in her 80's..
It's true to say that I detest this particular day coming round each year, especially this particular year as today is also a Monday..
Anyway, all the best..
Alan.

Offline Tillyboo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 February 12 00:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm struggling to find any information on Edward Ward b. 1881 (Bolton Lancashire).
Edward Ward married Elsie May, who was the daughter of Alice & Henry.

Latest info:
1911 - Lived 16 Liverpool St, Bolton Lancs with Elsie & 3 of their children
1. Lillian Alice
2. Alan Clifford
3. Doris
(My grandad, Lawrence was b. 1911 after the census

If anyone has anything they could share with me I'd be very, very grateful, no matter how small a snippet. Date of death would be a start.

Many Thanks
Tillyboo :)

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 February 12 01:24 GMT (UK) »
tillyboo do you have the 1901 census of edward ward
if not do you want me to post it here he is in the royal marines in hampshire,alverstoke
also he could be possibly the son of john/isabella ward they have a son edward on the 1881 census aged 10 mnths
they are in the parish of tonge reg dist bolton
they are down as wood on this census but on 1891 isabella and her son edward are down as ward
having had a look at the 1881 image it could well be ward not wood
if you want me to post 1881,1891,1901 just let me know
mick
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn

Offline wozzle

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 05 February 12 01:27 GMT (UK) »
forgot to say there is no birth in 1881 in bolton of an edward ward the nearest is the one whose birth was regd  2nd qtr 1880
cattell,alcester
vickers,sulgrave
hewish,holborn
manley,bethnal green
barnes,bassingbourn