Author Topic: Higginsons of Hopes Place, Bretton, Hawarden  (Read 21674 times)

Offline par50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Higginsons of Hopes Place, Bretton, Hawarden
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 August 08 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeannie.
 I am still confused with the Thomas Bostock. On the 1841 census It has my Thomas Bostock born 1793. Flintshire only his name is reversed. wife Martha etc. Then in 1851 it has his birth as 1796. Hope's Place. Flintshire.

But there is also another Thomas Bostock which I can't find on the 1841. But in 1851 he is born 1799 Hawarden. With wife Ann born 1783. They are at Drury Lane. Pentrobin. and in 1861 he is listed as born 1798. On his own. This one is the son of William & Mary Beavan. baptised 2/7/1796.

I know its a Holiday weekend (hopefully fine). But could you have a check for any Thomas Bostock's. other than the son of William & Mary. at some stage. It's getting confusing. Regards Pam

Offline paulawilder1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 August 08 10:18 BST (UK) »
It could get doubly confusing in that some of the people (that I have seen marrying Higginsons) have it that they are FROM Bostock...

Offline par50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 August 08 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula.
Bostock the place is in Cheshire. and Hawarden where our lot are from is in Flintshire. But it not far from the Cheshire Border. I do know the area as My Grandmother's sister lived in Saltney. But when we used to visit her in the 60's. I never thought I would be doing the family history. My Dad's paternal side were from Cheshire also. Pam

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 23 August 08 13:23 BST (UK) »
Pam......

There was only one Thomas Bostock baptised at Hawarden, and he was the son of William and Mary Beavan.  2/7/1796. I know that his age varies on the 1841 and 1851 census, but that was quite normal. I am sure he is "yours"

I cannot find Thomas and Ann, on the 1841 census. How frustrating !!

There were no Bostocks at all, at Hawarden before William Bostock married Ellinor Hewitt in 1767..........

However, I have found a marriage, which took place at Chester St Mary, on 18/7/1824 , Between a Thomas Bostock and a ANN WAINWRIGHT . I have found a baptism for a Ann Wainwright , November 24th 1784 abode PENTROBIN.........I t could be that this Thomas , may be a cousin of your Thomas ?

I will try and check out William Bostock c1746, He mayhave had a brother, and the mystery Thomas is his son .......Hope this is not too confusing ?

I have a similar problem. My William Podmore, married 1743 at Hawarden . He was not born there. (The reason I have so many Parish Registers  )

However, since I bought the last couple of PR's, I may have had a break through........A Ann Podmore , marries a Jonathan Sharratt in 1810. I have no idea who she was, all the Podmores in Flintshire, are descended from my William. I have his will, and he names all his children , and there spouses. No Ann's. I have found on the 1851 census, that she came fron Acton by Nantwich, which is about 20 miles away . I think I have sorted my problem . I have found a baptism for a William Podmore in 1699, a bit earlier than I thought, but it is looking good. Ann may have been a neice who came to work for him ( he was a yeoman farmer ) and found love !!

I will see what I can do over the week end. Our village gala has been cancelled , because of the weather !!

Regards

JeannieR

This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline paulawilder1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 27 August 08 23:58 BST (UK) »
Okay - no trace of my Higginsons in the Cheshire parish records as far as I can tell, but I've discovered something interesting -- that  Richard Jones, b. 1844 fr Saltney, (son of Samuel Jones and Elizabeth Higginson) living in Hopes Place on the 1851 census, married his cousin Kate (Catharine) Higginson, b. 1849 in Liverpool.

They married 1870 in Liverpool.

Catherine is the daughter of my mysterious Richard Higginson (living with Anne Higginson at Hopes Place in 1841), and while Catherine was born in Liverpool,  her older sister Elizabeth was the one born in Hopes Place (who started me on this whole line of inquiry).

Offline paulawilder1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 01 September 08 04:00 BST (UK) »
Further discovery! The Samuel Jones, born 1832, shown on the 1841 census as 9 yr old son of Richard and Hannah Higginson, in Saltney, is indeed the same person found living with my Higginsons by 1851 in Toxteth Park Liverpool. These Jones and Higginsons certainly were close.

Offline murphy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 23:46 BST (UK) »
I know I am joining the Higginson discussion long after everyone else has moved on.Richard Higginson  ( 1798) and Hanah Higginson (1800) were the parents of Maria Higginson( 1823) married George Evans who is our relative. Her sister Rebecca (1836) married WR Doughty.  Eleanor Russell

Offline ricko

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 17:57 GMT (UK) »
paulawilder1 get in touch with me, i know quite a bit about Hopes Place, Bretton

Offline paulawilder1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 09 May 11 12:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Paula.....

However, I found the marriage of Richard Higginson to MARY PRICE, which took place at the Church of Our Lady and St Nicholas and St Ann. It was Registered in the March quarter of 1842 at Liverpool in volume 20 page 212. I am sure that this is the correct marriage. If you do obtain the marriage certificate, it will give both fathers names, there occupations, and their abode. There were usually two witnesses, which may be siblings.......

Dear Jeannie R - I don't know if you are still on the boards, this discussion dates back a while, however, ancestry has finally added the Liverpool marriage original dox, and I have the record for the 1842  Mary Price - Richard Higginson marriage you first found for me. Here I learn that Richard Higginson's father was Joseph Higginson, Farmer, and Mary Price was daughter of Thomas Price, labourer.  However Richard Higginson's profession is given as Carter, while I would have expected the record to say 'railway engine driver" as it does on the 1851 census - it puts a doubt in my mind about this being the right Richard Higginson. I have to wonder whether the couple would really have gotten married in Liverpool in 1842, if their first child were born in Hope's Place in 1843, and their second child in Christleton in 1845. Their third (recorded) child is born 1849 in Liverpool, which suggests they are not in Liverpool until some time around 1849, and it would have made more sense for Richard and Mary to be married in the region of Bretton. But perhaps if he were a carter then later a railway engine driver, he would have been going back and forth quite a lot ?  In any case, it if is indeed the correct marriage record - the Joseph Higginson is the father -- I suppose Richard could be one of these illegitimate children you refered to earlier ?