Author Topic: COMPLETED - Spalding Lincolnshire - JOHN BROWN m. ROSAMOND around 1820  (Read 3701 times)

Offline BHSyd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Spalding Lincolnshire - JOHN BROWN m. ROSAMOND around 1820
« on: Sunday 03 August 08 13:12 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the marriage of John Brown to Rosamond around 1820 in the general vicinity of Lincolnshire.  They lived at Moulton near Spalding and had at least four children with the following dates of christening:

Henry Brown 17/11/1822
Ann Dickinson Brown 16/5/1824
John Brown 25/3/1827
Daniel Brown 21/9/1829

I found a marriage of John Brown to Rosamond Clover on 24/12/1822 at Mattersbey, Nottinghamshire which is about 100 km from Spalding.  It could be the same couple but the date is interesting relative to the birth date of the first child.

Given that Rosamond is quite a distinctive first name there can't have been too many marriages of a Rosamond to a John Brown.

Possible maiden names for Rosamond (apart from Clover) are Dickinson (from the Queensland marriage certificate of her son Henry) and Cotton/Cottam (from the Australian immigration records of Henry).

Much appreciate any advice or assistance.

Best regards,
Chris Mott
Sydney
Australia

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Spalding Lincolnshire - JOHN BROWN m. ROSAMOND around 1820
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 August 08 14:46 BST (UK) »
There's an entry in Pallot's Marriage index for them in 1820 in Moulton - John Brown to Rosaman Dickinson. Unfortunately, it doesn't give a date.
You could order the film of Moulton marriages at your nearest LDS centre - IGI only goes up to 1812. Or if someone has access to Boyd's marriage index which also covers Moulton, the date might be there.

It's a pity Rosamond died before the 1841 census as that would have said born in county or no. She was buried in Moulton 10/4/1841 aged 41.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Sparkle26

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 August 08 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to the Free Reg Site they where married at All Saints Moulton on 18 May 1820 no Fathers names , occupations, place of abode etc mentioned

Claire  :)
Connell Boon Favell Patchett Hinch Hutton Markham Calvert Codd Scullion Linton Martin Coupland Daniel
Day Cook Pepperdine West And many many more

ALL CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 August 08 15:06 BST (UK) »
Oh good, with the date you can get a copy of the entry from the record office

http://microsites.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Archives/section.asp?catId=6641

although ordering the film may allow you to find other family events as well.

Possible burial for John in Moulton 1/6/1848 aged 52.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline BHSyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Re: Spalding Lincolnshire - JOHN BROWN m. ROSAMOND around 1820
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 August 08 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your assistance.

It's very interesting that the Pallot marriage record is in the name of Rosaman Dickinson.  On Henry Brown's Queensland marriage certificate (his third marriage aged 65) the handwriting seems to give his mother's name as Rossman Dickinson but it could be Rosaman.  This had always puzzled me.

It seems that Rosaman and Rosamon are quite rare Christian names.  The 1841 census gives only about 10 of each in the whole of England.  However, 4 of the Rosaman's are in Lincolnshire including one at Holbeach which is very close to Spalding.  It seems that Rosaman/Rosamon are even rarer surnames, only one of each in the 1841 census.

Maybe her name caused some confusion with the authorities.  The IGI index gives her name as Rosamond in the christening records of the four children.  Her 1841 GRO death index entry (Spalding Vol 14 pg 419) gives her name as Rosamond.  Also Henry Brown's 1853 Australian Assisted Immigration record gives her name as  Rosamond (surname very hard to decipher).

The 1848 burial record for John Brown could well be correct.  This would make his year of birth around 1796.  I had previously estimated 1796-98.  Certainly I can't find him in the 1851 or 1861 census records.  Another possible death date is 1872, GRO Spalding Vol 7a pg 231, estimated year of birth 1796.

Thanks again for your assistance.

CM
Sydney

Offline 53rdspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Spalding Lincolnshire - JOHN BROWN m. ROSAMOND around 1820
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris. I collect and sell old books and in my travels this past fall I selected a few old bibles from a free box of books at a church rummage sale. I'm just getting around to researching some the inscriptions and other identifiers and started looking up an 1837 bible belonging to John Brown, Moulton, Lincolnshire and his wife, Rosamond. I ended up here and found your post. I thought you may like to have the bible since you evidently have a family connection to it. I'll attempt to post a few pictures (I'm not too good at this), if possible. I'll hold onto the bible for a bit in the hope that you may eventually contact me. Sincerely, Kris (53rdspirit)

Keener
Wagoner
Pheneger
Campbell
Packer

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline 53rdspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: COMPLETED - Spalding Lincolnshire - JOHN BROWN m. ROSAMOND around 1820
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 February 14 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Ok, so I am so far unable to post pictures or links to the pictures. I'll just write here what the inscriptions in the bible are:

Front flyleaf, penned in lovely old script: "John Brown, Moulton, Jan 24 1840, Lincolnshire"

On the blank page, the last page of the Old Testament, again written in lovely old script: "Rosamond, the Wife of John Brown, died at Moulton, on the fourth day of January 1841, Aged 41 Years"

Back end-paper: "John Brown, Moulton, January 4th 1842."
Keener
Wagoner
Pheneger
Campbell
Packer