Author Topic: Access to 1871 census (Nova Scotia) *COMPLETED*  (Read 13631 times)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Access to 1871 census (Nova Scotia) *COMPLETED*
« on: Monday 04 August 08 09:32 BST (UK) »
I saw recently that WorldVitalRecords has put up the 1871 Canadian census, but I don't have access.  Also, about 20 years ago someone named James Smith compiled the Pictou County portion of the 1871 census into a book.
Would anyone with access to either of these do me the favor of a lookup?

Looking for Donald McMillan who in 1881 was a 76 yr old widower living with his son James in St Mary's Garden of Eden, Pictou, Nova Scotia.  I believe that this could be my 3rd grt grandfather who is shown on his daughter's 1910 death cert that I just found.  If it is, and his wife his still alive in 1871 her name would be Catherine (McBain).

Many thanks,

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Access to 1871 census (Nova Scotia)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 23:28 BST (UK) »
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 00:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janice,

I offered to transcribe the sections of the 1871 Pictou for the  for areas I am interested in for the first site over a year ago - never heard back from them.  The site appears moribund since they never add anything that I can see.

Likewise, the second site does not have the St Mary's area I am interested in.

P.S.  I notice you have "Pirie" in your name interests:  I have a Margaret Pirie (Aberdeen) who married Alexander Manson about 1793.  She was possibly dau of William Pirie and Janet Forbes.  Do these names ring any bells?

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick

The Pirie's are on my husband's side, and we have only gotten back as far as Adam Pirie who married Ann Gibb on January 29th, 1837 in Cairnie, Aberdeen.

I will definiately keep you in mind when I can get further back. The family stayed within the same area until my husband's great-grandparents immigrated to Canada in 1906.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 01:31 BST (UK) »
You've likely seen this by now, but from the IGI extracted files...
Duncan  MCMILLAN  Christened May 6th 1828 Inverness, Inverness, Scotland
James MCMILLAN  b. May 11th - Chr. May 30th 1832 Urquhart    "              "
Margaret MCMILLAN birth & Chr. Oct. 19th 1834 Urquhart       "                  "
Mother is down as Mc Bean & various spellings of Catherine
Just in case this works out to be the right couple the extracted marriage
March 8th 1827 Inverness, Inverness, Scotland and a possible birth 1803 for Catherine

The image from the 1881 census  ;D
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e325/e008123602.pdf

James & Jessie in 1901? Said b. Scotland in 1881...also said 1834 birth..but this is the same children, same place
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census/ViewFrame.jsp?id=25178&highlight=32
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 02:51 BST (UK) »
to add to my speculation, there's a Duncan in Portland, Saint John, New Brunswick who was born Scotland 1829, wife & first children born in Nova Scotia...and named first 2 children Donald & Kate...
;D  ::)  Love those images...
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e326/e008129912.pdf
When Duncan S. dies in 1886 South Boston, Mass.,  they say his age is 64 years 6 mos. ( the piece says to copy to Halifax, which is a clue to their whereabouts if this is family)
http://archives.gnb.ca/APPS/NewspaperVitalStats/NameIndex.aspx?culture=en-CA

Duncan Jr.   born 1865 ( perhaps Pictou county) ...Grace b. 1872  ( perhaps Shelburne county ) Alexander G.  circa 1870 ? dies  boston 1889

There a Duncan born 1828 Scot. in Judique, Inverness, Nova Scotia as well...but the naming works so much better for the other... ;D
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 08:42 BST (UK) »
You've likely seen this by now, but from the IGI extracted files...
Duncan  MCMILLAN  Christened May 6th 1828 Inverness, Inverness, Scotland
James MCMILLAN  b. May 11th - Chr. May 30th 1832 Urquhart    "              "
Margaret MCMILLAN birth & Chr. Oct. 19th 1834 Urquhart       "                  "
Mother is down as Mc Bean & various spellings of Catherine
Just in case this works out to be the right couple the extracted marriage
March 8th 1827 Inverness, Inverness, Scotland and a possible birth 1803 for Catherine

JJ,

Thank you!  This looks very good.  I had never tried "Duncan" for Donald.  I have a Daniel McLellan who sometimes shows up as "Donald", and I understand that Scots often didn't make a distinction (or rather, that Donald was Scottish pronunciation of Daniel).  Oops!  I think I misunderstood... Duncan is the first son, not the father.

This gives me more names to look at on novascotiagenealogy.

From all my previous research, it appears that my 2d grt gmother (Catherine McMillan McLellan) was born in about 1836 in either N Brunswick or Nova Scotia (1871, 1881, & 1891 NS censuses.  If what you found is the correct family, it implies they left Scotland for Canada circa 1835-36.

As for your second message, I'll have to consider it tomorrow when I am wider awake.

By the way,  it turns out that the WorldVitalRecords 1871 "Canada" census that they tout actually only has Ontario!  False advertising?

Again, many thanks.

Nick :-* :-* :-*   
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
it turns out that the WorldVitalRecords 1871 "Canada" census that they tout actually only has Ontario!  False advertising?

Wow, that is false advertising! But as we all know...knowing something is against any law/bylaw, and actually being able to do something about it...well ...won't go there...

But I have misled you, apparently by not putting all the information in and assuming you'd know that the father of James, Duncan & Margaret in Scotland was Donald.

The Duncan I found in N.B was hopefully the son...sister to Catherine McMillan McLellan and the James in 1881/1901...I was looking for him & family in 1901....but finally came across the newspaper death and move to U.S. prior to census...He moved back & forth from N.B. to N.S. according to birth of children...

and here you go!  James in 1911 says date of immigration 1835 which may or may not be spot on...( transcript says 1831 birth but image clearly says 1832...
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=38737

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 16:01 BST (UK) »
Have found a Margaret in 1881 of right age, born Scotland 1834... in the same area as James & Donald...Cannot find this Margaret in 1901 to compare actual birth dates....phooey! so just a thought as again 1st & third child have names Donald & Catherine...

Margaret Fraser 1881 image:
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e325/e008123587.pdf
St-Mary's and Garden of Eden, Pictou, Nova Scotia
District 20   Sub-district U    Page Number 2   Household # 6

Duncan & Catherine ( McLellan ) actually says N.B & N.S on image
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e325/e008123596.pdf
District 20   Sub-district U   page Number  21   Household # 84

James & Donald 1881 image:
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/e/e325/e008123602.pdf
District 20   Sub-district U   Page Number 33  Household #131