Author Topic: Access to 1871 census (Nova Scotia) *COMPLETED*  (Read 13623 times)

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • GGF J. James McLellan 1864-1908
    • View Profile
Re: Access to 1871 census (Nova Scotia)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
I am very impressed JJ.  Thanks again.

I am groggy since I went to bed at 4:30 am, read for 1 1/2+ hours, and then when I tried to go to sleep they started working on the streets!  Don't they know I have very weird hours?

Anyway, I am up again and trying to do some PC stuff without making huge mistakes.

I was excited about Catherine McBean b. 1803, but when I put Batch No and father Duncan McBean & mother McDonald in I found 9 kids between 1795 and 1812... unfortunately the one born in 1812 was another "Kathrine".  Implies either 1) Cath b 1803 died or 2) two couples in Inverness named Duncan McBean/Bain and Marg McDonald (haven't checked that possibility yet).

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Manson - Aberdeen & Orkney
Simpson - Hereford, Devon, etc.
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 16:55 BST (UK) »
and here you go!  James in 1911 says date of immigration 1835 which may or may not be spot on...( transcript says 1831 birth but image clearly says 1831...
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=38737

The above is another great find... since he isn't a direct I never would hve thot to look for him so late, but I'm glad you did.  Shows Jessie and James hadn't married yet.  James is on next page and I figured out how to get to it:  Increment the last digit in the URL so 38737 becomes 38738 and reclick the URL.  Voila!

With immigration date I can look for ships lists. Ta!

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----
Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there.   -Robert Heinlein

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 17:08 BST (UK) »
 :D James is actually a widow on there...wife Jessie has passed away...

Here is a better way to go to next page...sorry, I should have told you...
go to top left of page and hit the district # 16 link, then chose a page..
This is handy for looking through transcriptions only in a district, say for forenames only using the find on page searches in case of a misspell

re: Catherine McBean
Hmmm...yes...well there are many others in Inverness...Including the original spelling of McBain...Plus who knows if she is even on there yet....You have your work cut out for you, anyway... without any dates in Canada yet...but hopefully that Pictou census will get completed for you one day!!!

all the best,  J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 17:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I didn't make it specific that I was talking about 38 yo dau Jessie and 35 yo son James.

I have so many Scottish ancestors in Pictou in 1871 (altho I have most of them) I am going to order the film in to the local LDS on "permanent" loan so I can go thru it page by page.  Whoopee!

Thanks again,

Nick
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 19:23 BST (UK) »
see what you mean...yes that is practically elderly for a Scottish lass, isn't it...???
Best of luck with the 1871 census...I am sure you'll have a ball...
The 1851 would be nice to have as well.... They ( http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/ ) are going to be working on it after they are done the 1851 N.B...
J.J.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If we are completed for now just modify to add *completed* to the beginning of the subject line in your first query....but you ( or we) can still reactivate it at any time by adding a reply! Let us know what you find out... Hopefully LOTS!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can also head over to the Scotland board and see if anyone can find that lot on the census, to prove me wrong or right ( hopefully the latter)
Just remember to also post a link to this query so that resources aren't duplicated...

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline eacoady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Access to 1871 census (Nova Scotia) *COMPLETED*
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 October 12 19:18 BST (UK) »
Just stumbled on this thread while looking for something completely unrelated, Have not had the time to fully process the info included. But have you found information of the Garden of Eden MacMillians? (I notice the post was from 2008)

I have typed the birth and baptism records for the area, (Knox Church starting around 1844) have not got them online yet, but feel free to ask questions.

For you McMillian MacLellan connection, do you have a first name for the MacLellan? Duncan that married Catherine MacMillian had a son Daniel, I am a descendant on that line. 

Offline nickgc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 October 12 00:13 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am descended from Daniel's somewhat younger brother who is pictured in my avatar, John James McLellan.  I have pretty well filled this line out (working on it since about 1990), but always willing to fill in more blanks.

If you make 2 more posts we can communicate by PM and exchange email addresses.

Nick 
McLellan - Inverness
Greer - Renfrewshire
Flett - Orkney
Chisholm - Scotland
Wishart - Orkney
Shand - Aberdeen
Pirie - Aberdeen

-----

Offline eacoady

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 06 October 12 12:59 BST (UK) »
2 posts completed.