Author Topic: My Lincolnshire Surname Interests  (Read 35460 times)

Offline bpking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: My Lincolnshire Surname Interests
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 September 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
The IGI has no marriages at Weston from 1756-79 :(

Hello Geoff

Thank you for your reply. However, I have searched Weston's parish registers plus about 30+ other parishes without success. There appears to be only 1 George & Mary Paling marriage & that's the Buckminster one. I'm beginning to realise that's the one I've been searching for. Still can't find George's baptism though.

Thanks again

Brenda

Offline curlyhev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 October 08 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda im tracing the Bacon family tree from Grantham if that fits in with your info. Drop me a line if so thanks!
Heather
Slote, Hollingworth, Smith, Watson, Bullimore, Bacon, Gash, Frost,

Offline bpking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 October 08 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda im tracing the Bacon family tree from Grantham if that fits in with your info. Drop me a line if so thanks!
Heather

Hello Heather

You mention no dates so I can't say for sure. All I have so far is William Bacon baptised in 1770 in Pinchbeck, Spalding which isn't  a million miles from Grantham so there may be a connection. His parents were John B & Mary Howitt, siblings: John, Charles & Howitt.

William married in Cowbit where he baptised 2 daughters: Sarah & Mary. Mary died and Sarah's family stayed in the Spalding area, apart from 1 daughter who  emigrated to the U.S.

Further back in time my line stops with a John & Elizabeth Bacon who baptised 2 children in Pinchbeck in 1741 and 1742. Where they married or came from I don't know. Maybe you have found a John/Elizabeth marriage about 1740? I hope!

Regards

Brenda

Offline muvva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 October 08 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda,
I have the Elsom family from Rippingale in my tree. My gt.gt. grandmother was Susan Elsom, b.1856, she was the youngest child of Michael Elsom and Dinah Portess. Does this connect with your Elsom family?
Regards,
muvva
Sussex: Kemp, Harding, Ticehurst, Baker, Elphick
Derbyshire: Howard, Boden, Holmes
Lincolnshire: Boughton, . Atterton, Howard, Portess
Lancashire: Thompson, Hughes, Jardine

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright  - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bpking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 October 08 22:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda,
I have the Elsom family from Rippingale in my tree. My gt.gt. grandmother was Susan Elsom, b.1856, she was the youngest child of Michael Elsom and Dinah Portess. Does this connect with your Elsom family?
Regards,
muvva

Hello Muvva

I don't know I'm afraid, you're a bit too recent for me. The surname joined my tree when Sarah Elsom, bap 1792 Moulton, married George Paling in 1814. Their descendants stayed around the Spalding area & I have traced Sarah's ancestry back to a John Elsom baptised in Bourne 1723, son of John (no mother's name) but where he originated I do not know.

It is quite possible we belong to 2 seperate branches of the same tree but I have no evidence. I have noted Elsoms in Rippingale in the 18thC & wondered whether there was a connection there with my line but have found nothing concrete yet.

Brenda

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 October 08 08:08 BST (UK) »
If your MORLEYs or CLARKEs were from Grantham or Long Bennington there could be a connection.  My great-grandfather, David Morley born Mqrch 1858 Long Bennington on marriage moved to Grantham where he died Feb. 1937,  He was a journeyman bootmaker and a Methodist Local Preacher.
Yes, Brenda, I think we have.  I do not have any Morleys in Swinstead so perhaps we could link further back but mine trace back to Isaac (from Orston, Notts) = Ann Bugg and then earlier to Willoughby-on-the-Wolds, Notts c 1650, with Richard and William.  The forename pattern is maintained.   I only have Dawson in Swinethorpe, which I often confuse with Swinstead.  Let me know if we do link. Happy Hunting.
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline muvva

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 09:43 BST (UK) »
The surname joined my tree when Sarah Elsom, bap 1792 Moulton, married George Paling in 1814.
It is quite possible we belong to 2 seperate branches of the same tree but I have no evidence. I have noted Elsoms in Rippingale in the 18thC & wondered whether there was a connection there with my line but have found nothing concrete yet.

Hi Brenda,
it seems we have two different Elsom families. I have traced my Elsom line back to John Elsom bap. 1638 in Rippingale. I do have two Sarah's in my tree, both baptised in Rippingale but neither matching the date of your Sarah .

Good luck with your research
muvva
Sussex: Kemp, Harding, Ticehurst, Baker, Elphick
Derbyshire: Howard, Boden, Holmes
Lincolnshire: Boughton, . Atterton, Howard, Portess
Lancashire: Thompson, Hughes, Jardine

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright  - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline curlyhev

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 12:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda!  Sorry with the delay in my reply.  Right my Bacon's mainly come from Grantham and then some from Essex they go bk to 1731 so far that being of a James born 1731 in Essex who married a Ann In gold born abt 1735 also in Essex.   They start from the present day as my mothers maiden name was Bacon.   Let me know if you have a connection or i could give you some more info on any ofthe others i have.
Heather x
Slote, Hollingworth, Smith, Watson, Bullimore, Bacon, Gash, Frost,

Offline bpking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 13:56 BST (UK) »
The surname joined my tree when Sarah Elsom, bap 1792 Moulton, married George Paling in 1814.

Hi Brenda,
it seems we have two different Elsom families. I have traced my Elsom line back to John Elsom bap. 1638 in Rippingale. I do have two Sarah's in my tree, both baptised in Rippingale but neither matching the date of your Sarah .

Good luck with your research
muvva

Hello Muvva

My Sarah was definitely baptised in Moulton, as was her father, John in 1765. He is the son of John Elsom (baptised 1723, Bourne, son of John Elsom) and Elizabeth Lyon who married in Moulton.

I am trying to trace the senior John who baptised his son in 1723 in Bourne. Unfortunately his wife's name was not mentioned in the baptism record.

There were 2 John Elsoms in Bourne at this time. One married Martha Askew in Bourne in 1720 (possible parents of my John) plus another whose marriage I have been unable to find. I cannot find the origins of either of these 2 Johns and suspect this will be an eternal brick wall - which John is mine and where did he come from? I presume he was born about 1690.

The John bap in 1723 (my earliest proven ancestor) had the following children: William, Mary, Sarah, John (mine), Robert,  Anne & Elizabeth. I think I can account for William, Elizabeth & Sarah from the mother's family but the others - Mary, Robert & Anne are, I presume, from John's.  All popular forenames I know but can you see some possible connection there? I'm looking for a John, Robert, Mary & Anne family in the late 17thC.

What are the forenames of your family for this period?

Regards

Brenda