Author Topic: Henry Raeburn Brown  (Read 5763 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Henry Raeburn Brown
« on: Monday 04 August 08 23:40 BST (UK) »
Henry Raeburn Brown was born around 1806 in Edinburgh. He was a tailor. On 2 January 1843 he married Helen Clyde, daughter of James Clyde and Helen Ruxton. They had six children that I know of: James 1843, William Slater 1844, Helen 1846, Janet 1848, Henry 1849, John 1851. I have them in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census, by which time Helen was a widow. I have not found a death in the statutory indexes, so he must have died before 1855. Helen died in 1882.

William went on to become Sir William Slater Brown, and he was Lord Provost of Edinburgh 1909-1912.

Daughter Helen married first Robert Walker and then John Stewart, and she had three known children. 

Does anyone know anything about Henry Raeburn Brown's parentage, and in particular where the middle names Raeburn and Slater came from?  Could he have been named after the portrait painter Sir Henry Raeburn (1756-1823), and if so, why? I'd also be interested in what became of the rest of his children.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline katinka13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Raeburn Brown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 June 11 04:33 BST (UK) »
I have some answers for you - some of the descendents of this man found their way to New Zealand!

Henry, the son of Henry Raeburn BROWN, married Christina May PARFIT. They had a daughter, Elizabeth who first married Alexander James Hamilton CAMPBELL on 5 April 1910 at 97 St Stephen St, Edinburgh. They had two children, Alexander (jnr - don't know anything else about him, yet!) and Christina May Parfit CAMPBELL (1911-1973). Alexander (snr) died during the war and Elizabeth remarried James SIM on 12 Feb 1919 at the same place/church. A witness of their marriage was Margaret Dods BROWN (the wife of William Slater BROWN, Lord Provost of Edinburgh - see below).

James SIM was from New Zealand so he, Elizabeth and Elizabeth's two children to Alexander all came back here and settled in the deep south of the South Island. They went on to have 5 more children: Elizabeth Brown SIM, Isabel Joyce SIM, Stuart John SIM, William Slater SIM, and James Ronald SIM who is my grandfather. My grandfather and Stuart John (known as Jack) have passed but the other 3 are still alive.

William Slater BROWN, the Lord Provost, married Margarets DODS and they had 6 children: Margaret Ann in 1866, Helen Clyde in 1867, Henry Raeburn in 1869, Elizabeth Dods in 1870, George Dods in 1872 and Williamina in 1874.

BROWN, SIM/SYM (Edinburgh, Scotland), RONALD (Musselburgh, Scotland)

Offline katinka13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 June 11 04:42 BST (UK) »
I have quite a bit more information from birth, death and marriage certificates and census records, including a bit more about the PARFIT side as well as information of some of the other children.

Also I can supply you with photographs of my great grandmother (Elizabeth "Bessie" BROWN/CAMPBELL/SIM) and also pictures of her grave. She died young, in 1935.

I wonder then, since you were asking about Mr BROWN, whether we are related to one another in some way then?
BROWN, SIM/SYM (Edinburgh, Scotland), RONALD (Musselburgh, Scotland)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 June 11 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you, katinka13. I'll PM you.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline nuggetbomber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 12 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, katinka13. I'll PM you.
Henry Raeburn Brown was born around 1806 in Edinburgh. He was a tailor. On 2 January 1843 he married Helen Clyde, daughter of James Clyde and Helen Ruxton. They had six children that I know of: James 1843, William Slater 1844, Helen 1846, Janet 1848, Henry 1849, John 1851. I have them in the 1841, 1851 and 1861 census, by which time Helen was a widow. I have not found a death in the statutory indexes, so he must have died before 1855. Helen died in 1882.

William went on to become Sir William Slater Brown, and he was Lord Provost of Edinburgh 1909-1912.

Daughter Helen married first Robert Walker and then John Stewart, and she had three known children. 

Does anyone know anything about Henry Raeburn Brown's parentage, and in particular where the middle names Raeburn and Slater came from?  Could he have been named after the portrait painter Sir Henry Raeburn (1756-1823), and if so, why? I'd also be interested in what became of the rest of his children.
Forfarian My name is Henry Raeburn Brown my father told me I was the fifth generation named the same one uncle was named Christopher Mayparfit after his grandma.nuggetbomber.

Offline nuggetbomber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 January 12 11:13 GMT (UK) »
I have some answers for you - some of the descendents of this man found their way to New Zealand!

Henry, the son of Henry Raeburn BROWN, married Christina May PARFIT. They had a daughter, Elizabeth who first married Alexander James Hamilton CAMPBELL on 5 April 1910 at 97 St Stephen St, Edinburgh. They had two children, Alexander (jnr - don't know anything else about him, yet!) and Christina May Parfit CAMPBELL (1911-1973). Alexander (snr) died during the war and Elizabeth remarried James SIM on 12 Feb 1919 at the same place/church. A witness of their marriage was Margaret Dods BROWN (the wife of William Slater BROWN, Lord Provost of Edinburgh - see below).

James SIM was from New Zealand so he, Elizabeth and Elizabeth's two children to Alexander all came back here and settled in the deep south of the South Island. They went on to have 5 more children: Elizabeth Brown SIM, Isabel Joyce SIM, Stuart John SIM, William Slater SIM, and James Ronald SIM who is my grandfather. My grandfather and Stuart John (known as Jack) have passed but the other 3 are still alive.

William Slater BROWN, the Lord Provost, married Margarets DODS and they had 6 children: Margaret Ann in 1866, Helen Clyde in 1867, Henry Raeburn in 1869, Elizabeth Dods in 1870, George Dods in 1872 and Williamina in 1874.

katinka13.My name is Henry Raeburn Brown my father told me Iwas the fifth generation named the same my uncle was named Christopher Mayparfit after his gradma.nuggetbomber.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 12 14:53 GMT (UK) »
I know of four Henry Raeburn Browns.

1. Born about 1806/7 in Edinburgh, master tailor, married Helen Clyde, died 29 March 1852 in Edinburgh.

2. Grandson of No1 by his son Sir William Slater Brown, born 1869 in Edinburgh, died unmarried in 1947 in Edinburgh.

3. Grandson of No1 by his son Henry Brown born 1879 in Edinburgh, married Annie Baillie Phillips, killed in Palestine 1917

4. Born in Edinburgh 1917, probably the one who married Joan Day in Edinburgh in 1947, no further information

Henry Brown, son of No 1 and father of No 3, may or may not have used the middle name Raeburn, but I have yet to come across a documentary record in which the middle name occurs.

Can you give me more information about your five Henry Raeburn Browns?

Offline nuggetbomber

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 01:41 GMT (UK) »
forfarian. My father was the 3rd son of Henry KIA at Gaza 1917 he was born 15 2 1906 deceased1976 he had 3 brothers John George Christopher and a sister called Annie all deceased.
  I am the eldest son born 4.5.1936 .I have 2 brothers (*) and a sister (*).
  My father told me I was the 5th generation named Henry Raeburn after him his father his Grand father his great grandfather and great great grandfather.
  If the information given to me is correct it appears Henry born in1806 was the son of a Henry Raeburn.
nuggetbomber.

Added: Names of living people deleted to protect people's identity as part of RootsChat policy.

Offline Chawi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 September 19 18:59 BST (UK) »
I know of four Henry Raeburn Browns.

1. Born about 1806/7 in Edinburgh, master tailor, married Helen Clyde, died 29 March 1852 in Edinburgh.

2. Grandson of No1 by his son Sir William Slater Brown, born 1869 in Edinburgh, died unmarried in 1947 in Edinburgh.

3. Grandson of No1 by his son Henry Brown born 1879 in Edinburgh, married Annie Baillie Phillips, killed in Palestine 1917

4. Born in Edinburgh 1917, probably the one who married Joan Day in Edinburgh in 1947, no further information

Henry Brown, son of No 1 and father of No 3, may or may not have used the middle name Raeburn, but I have yet to come across a documentary record in which the middle name occurs.

Can you give me more information about your five Henry Raeburn Browns?

Forfarian, as far as I can tell & have been able to document, Slater as a Christian/middle name was first given to Sir William, no-one else in his immediate family went by Slater until his & Margaret Dod's third son, William Slater, surname Brown, born 1875 in Endinburgh.

William had 3 brothers, eldest Henry Raeburn Brown, born 1869, died 1947 (your No. 2); George Dods Brown, a councillor, born 1872, died 1942 & Robert Dods Brown, born around 1879, death unknown. He also had 2 sisters, Margaret Ann Brown, born 1866 & Willemina Brown, born about 1876.

William Slater Brown married Agnes Euphemia McArthy in 1911 & they had 3 sons.  Eldest David Maitland Slater Brown, born 1914 & mentioned in No 2. Henry Raeburn Brown's will as he died childless; middle son Henry Raeburn Slater Brown, born Edinburgh 1917 (your No. 4), married Joan Day nee Barker (born 1918, Rhodesia) in 1945; youngest son Alexander McArthy Slater Brown, born 1921 & KIA Hong Kong in 1942.  All WWII/MOD records for David, Henry & Alexander had Slater as a middle name & Brown as surname.

Henry & Joan both returned to Rhodesia post WWII, took up service land, started a family & died there in 1978 & 2007 respectively. It was at this stage, in Rhodesia, that Slater (Christian name) became Slater-Brown (surname) in the next generation of documentation & their eldest son (my husband) was born Raeburn Graham Slater-Brown in Rhodesia in 1950.

Hope this helps clear up some of your questions? Though it opens up new questions for me regarding the Henry Raeburn who died in Gaza as I haven't made that connection as yet though I came across various dox whilst searching....