Author Topic: Hyslops of Lochrutton/Corsock  (Read 22182 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hyslops of Lochrutton/Corsock
« on: Wednesday 06 August 08 12:44 BST (UK) »
I have identified a family group of graves at Lochrutton church. Mine are a line of John Hyslops, however with the way the graves lie it is obvious there is a set of four if not 5 or more graves which are all related.

I'm chasing the DGFHS to see if I can get a copy of an out of print newsletter (no 11) which mentions this family of Hyslops.

Does anyone know of or have links with these Hyslops?
The residences mentioned are; Southpark, Brae, Nether-Barr, Congeith, Kirkland, Carswadda, Drumcoltran.

The earliest death mentioned is John Hyslop in Barwhae 1761 and most recent death is John Hyslop at Southpark 1955.

I would love to hear from anyone who has links with any Hyslops from these places as I believe they are all members of the same family group.

Tx

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hyslops of Lochrutton/Corsock
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparkle

No links at the moment but can you tell me the date of the out of print newsletter? I might have it up in Scotland.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
Gadget

Its July 1991 (no 11) so it is quite an old one. The article is on pages 4 and 5 allegedly.

I'm very excited about the Hyslops as it looks like after months of ag labs and servants I've found my rich interesting relations!

Thanks very much for looking!  ;D

Tracey

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 16:09 BST (UK) »
 :'( :'( :'(

I know my journals don't go that far back - ever so sorry. I'll have a look at the MIs and study the grouping and see if I can see something in there as well  :)

Gadget

Added -the library in Castle Douglas has a good local history section. They might have something if the D & G FHS can't come up with it.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 16:24 BST (UK) »
No worries Gadget. Hopefully the DGFHS have a master or something that I can get a photocopy of. :)

The graves are at Lochrutton and they are references 180, 194, 195, 198, 199. All sat very close to each other and definitely a family group. Some of the family members have abodes quite far away from Lochrutton (Nether-Barr, Corsock for example) but are still buried with the group.

The church itself is half a mile up a little track from the Old Military (Roman) Road. Its on the side of a hill (very remote and very beautiful) and one of the family farms lies at the bottom of the track (Southpark).

No problem if you don't get a chance to look.

I'm just chuffed its such a big family group. I hope they were as close in life as they are in death!  :-\

Tx

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 September 08 00:04 BST (UK) »
I got my hand on the article  ;D. It appears that my G.G.G.G.Grandfather went to the USA with his brother and they bought some land. He returned but his brother stayed in the states, his brother later died of yellow fever in the US leaving the family plot of land unclaimed.... damn, I could have been rich  :o

But I'm glad he returned home as I probably wouldn't be here now  ;D

Now to try and prove the story... should be fun :D

Tx

Offline kathgill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 September 08 13:45 BST (UK) »
My cousin Robert Davidson married Barbara Hyslop and they stayed at South Park.  Barbara's family famred South Park and when she inherited the farm she moved in with her husband and family.  The family firm of Fred Davidson and son Haulage Contractors are run from this base.  Let me know if you would like to hear any more information.

Kath

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 08:52 BST (UK) »
HI Kath,

Have just sent you a message. I didn't realise the Davidsons/Hyslops were connected! But I suppose it all makes sense!

I would love to hear more!

Tracey

Offline Northerngirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 September 08 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Sparkle.

Dare I add a comment about the Hyslops and Davidsons :-\

I was attracted by the two surnames of Davidson and Hyslop and particularly because they are mentioned at Lochrutton and Corsock.  Two key areas in my own family research. 

My own family of the Murrays are connected to Corsock as that is where my great great grandfather William was born.  He and his brother and two sisters are with their mother at Corsock Bridge for 1841. 

His sister Margaret, according to all the information I have found, was born in Lochrutton.  If you've been at family research for some time you will recognise the symptoms but... in trying to find my Murrays I looked at all avenues.  One option was trying to trace wedding witnesses for them both.  In 1859 William had a witness James Hyslop.  He (William) was married at Kelton but was from Springholm where I am presuming he lived - and can't definitely confirm that I have found him.  Hence my looking for wedding witnesses for him between the two censuses of 1851 and 1861 - look it all makes sense to me!!!!!

Similarly for Margaret who was married at Lochrutton in 1866 she had an Agnes Davidson as a witness and it was she (Agnes) who I tried to trace for some time.  William and Margaret's brother Samuel also married and lived in Lochrutton.   

My 'brick wall' (in terms of searching for him) is James Murray my ggg grandfather and head of this small family.  He died at a very young age and little to nothing is known definitely about him.  He is supposed to have been a blacksmith but I can find no evidence for this.  My information keeps going back to Corsock and Lochrutton and obviously the two names of Hyslop and Davidson are interesting.  I wonder if they have all been part of one 'big family' of people who knew each other and were inter related and therefore the surnames and the villages they lived in are linked?  This would also give alink between the names Hyslop and Davidson if the Murrays used family friends as witnesses.

The other possibility is that it is all coincidence.

I apologise for interupting your posting if this is of no relevance but you did ask for Hyslop connections.

J.A.
SCOTLAND
KBC interests - Murray and Shaw: Blacklock and Kirkland.
DMS interests - as KBC.

ENGLAND
Northumberland
Murray: > 1920 in Longbenton/Forest Hall; Howick 1920's
Elliott: North Nbld 1800's
Straughan/Straphen: North Nbld 1800's and 1910's/1920's Craster.
Henderson(nee Elliott)/Brodie Haydon Bridge 1900's
Bell (nee Elliott) Christon Bank/Embleton 1900's

IRELAND
County Mayo
Mills: Erris Head and Gortmellia
Mullarky: as same
Ginnelly: as same