Author Topic: Hyslops of Lochrutton/Corsock  (Read 22178 times)

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hyslops of Lochrutton/Corsock
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 October 09 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sparkle.
Thanks for the response. That is my James Muir & his parents. He had emigrated to Canada & joined the Canadian forces in June 1915. While on leave from the front he married Agnes Boyd at Rutherglen,Glsgow on 1st August 1917. 14 days later he was killed in action at Lens,France.
James youngest sister Robina (Ruby) was a school teacher at Lockfoot village.Their parents Robert & Jessie Payne both died in the schoolhouse in 1936 & 37 respectively.

Rgds  Matt.
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline chrysegle

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 January 10 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I used to live in Lochfoot.  My old classmate is the son of one of the two brothers who run F Davidsons.  There are plenty of Hyslops and Davidsons in the family.

I took a panorama of the area about a month ago - http://gigapan.org/gigapans/40703 - Southpark is near the middle and the road towards the church (where I took the picture - it is out of shot) is to the right of it.  If you've got Google Earth installed, you can place the panorama right in the map by opening this KML file - http://gigapan.org/gigapans/40703.kml

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 09:54 GMT (UK) »
What a fantastic picture! I love how you can zoom in and see Fred Davidson's lorries parked at Southpark!

I didn't realise there was a Hyslop/Davidson connection when I was last there and saw the lorries. I just love that the farm is still in the 'family' :D

Tx

Offline Applause

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 February 10 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Any link to Helen Hyslop who married Robert Hume (b 1811)?

Hi there

Ros here from South Africa - I have a Robert Hume who married a Helen Hyslop on my mothers side of the family and they had a sone named John who was born in Dumfries.  I am looking to find more details on their family further back - are you related to them?

Regards

Ros

Offline julien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 26 April 10 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am new to this so please bear with me. I see that you have an interest in Hyslop family history.

I have come across some old papers that may interest you - all handwritten -  names referred to are for example:

William Hyslop - Loch Rutton
Great Grandmother Hyslop whose maiden name was isabella mcConnell and was born October 12 1787. Letter to Aunty Tibby ( Mrs Robert Hyslop)  dated 1845.

letter from Mary Bell of Blageddon? to aunt hyslop 1868

Letter from Robert mcConnell of Kittenhall? to Mr john Hyslop (brother and sister) 1844

There is much more and more family names mentioned - lots of details of deaths in the family  - is this an area of interest to you?

Let me know as I am willing to share with you.

regards

Julie

Offline julien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 26 April 10 12:09 BST (UK) »
Sparkle,

I just saw your entry about your great .... grandfather going to the US and dying of yellow fever.... would it have been about 1868 on  a plantation in Louisiana? I have letters concerning this. Only copies as I have lodged the originals with the State Ohio University library as I felt they were of importance in social history. Do you know his name?

Offline warboys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 26 April 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome to Rootschat and the Hyslop forum. I am particularly interested in anything to do with the Hyslops at Lochrutton in the 1800's. What do you have to offer during this period.
Cheers

Offline julien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 26 April 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome. I am not a Hyslop and dont beleive that I am related in any way, however I knew an old lady Hylsop (maiden name)- she died about 20 years ago in her late 90s and I have  a large collection of her letters, newspaper cuttings, burial documents and her notes - some of which seem to be her attempt at family history. There are documents showing that she travelled   to Loch Rutton searching and reveal some of her findings. Names in letters/documents include
Wiliam Hyslop of Southpark
William Hyslop of Loch Roan
john Hyslop
Adam Hyslop
Robert Clark 0f gridbae - seems to related to Hyslops
isabella Hyslop - maiden name mcConnall
Robert McConnall
john McConnall
Mary bell  of Balgreddon - seems to be related to Hyslop
Thomas Woodruff - maker of marble tables - uncle of the lady that I knew

letters from USA Hyslop relatives ( siblings) to Hyslop family

beatiful letter detailing a Hyslops travels across USA and working in the gold rush

news paper cuttings - various - house content auctions, births deaths marriages etc

There is a lot of papers and I dont know what to do with it all but feel that it may be of value to someone that is related.

Please help me to put these to use - much better than sitting in my cupboard!

regards to all

julie

Offline bethsdragon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 April 10 00:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on a Hellen or Ellen born in Mosside in1798 ( I believe). Ellen married Robert Hume and moved to Kirkcudbright at some point. I haven't found much on her family yet but would love to know more!
Right now I am focusing on my maternal grandparents from Scotland. Thomas Pearson (Kircudbright) and Helen 'Nellie' Hume. 1880's birth.
I have some pictures that I would love to post as soon as I figure out how!