Author Topic: HMS Kingfisher  (Read 4498 times)

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HMS Kingfisher
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 August 08 10:49 BST (UK) »
Thank-you Annie. I shall take this home to read this evening. Whoever thought I would be taking up military history? :)

I suppose it's what tracing your family does to you. It was German sugar workers the other day.

Brie

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 August 08 11:56 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Thank-you all for your posts which have been very interesting. I have just today received his naval record. Kyt he wouldn't have received any bounty for the capture of the dhow as it appears he didn't join the Kingfisher until February 1890. He died December 1890 presumably on the Kingfisher and thanks to the article posted by Annie and the Times posts from Kyt I have a very good idea how his last months were spent.

Cheers
Brie

Offline Mike1064

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 January 17 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brie,

I am relative of William Irwin and have started to do research into the Irwin family tree. William Irwin died in Zanzibar on Feb 9th 1890 and his Grave is on ( Chapwani) Grave Island. I enclose an article written by someone who visited the island . He was an engineer on the Kingfisher which was patrolling the area to stop the slave trade. I think he could have died of the demon drink, but have not substantiated that yet. If you are related to the Irwin's I am more than happy to share what I have found out. I live in Australia , but have lots of Irwin relations still in the UK and I have started my own Myheritage website. Look forward to hearing from you, Mike

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 January 17 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mike,

I think we are already in touch unless I have two cousin Mikes in Australia! Brie is a family diminutive.

It does look as if William's death was alcohol related. Some years ago I bought his service record from the National Archives (which if you are the same Mike I have sent you) but that did not have his conduct record. Subsequently, Ancestry have released the records and that showed a second page which I had not received from the NA. It turns out not to have been indexed and isn't therefore downloadable so that is probably why.

However, it is clear that although William had bursts of abstemiousness, he did enjoy a drink. There are comments such as "temperate when wine bill is under restriction" and a lot more. His death was described as local paralysis but there is also a note on the record that says that it was reported that Staff Surgeon Smith said William "died of paralysis, probably of an alcoholic origin."

I must say that I can quite understand it. The life he led must have been horrendously tough.

Mike, I have e-mailed you. If you are a different Mike let me know and after you have posted here 3 times we will be able to communicate by the PM (personal/private? messaging) service

Brie

Offline Denmasey

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 28 October 21 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Brie,
I am researching the HMS Kingfisher in relation to its time in Seychelles and wonder if you could share  any mention of the islands in your family letter? I have discovered that the Getty Museum has a photo album that includes several photos of the HMS Kingfisher in various ports around 1890. The images have not been published online, but if you do a quick search on their website it will give a description of the photographs.
best,
Denise