Author Topic: Sticky Posts question  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Sticky Posts question
« on: Saturday 10 April 04 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hi,

What is the deal with the sticky posts?  The ones that stay at the top of the list.  I undersstand why Admin or instructive ones should say but the ones on the census requests page are a wee bit annoying after a while.

I log on in short bursts as frequently as possible as I think this is a great site and want to support what you are doing.  I need to be quite quick in checking the new posts as it costs me time, I only have a defined amount of time per month on the package I am on.  The sticky posts are building up so you have to open a 2nd page to see what is new and see if you can help.

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re:Sticky Posts question
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 April 04 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hiya Pam,

Yes, you are right too many 'sticky posts' are annoying aren't they? I've just checked to see how many are "sticky" on the Census Requests page, but there are only five there at the moment which isn't too bad. ;)

The reason that they are sticky is because they are still awaiting lookups since January, so we or the moderators are keeping them up there hoping that some kind person will answer them. :)

We will try and reduce the number of sticky posts like this if we can.

All the best,
Trystan
RootsChat Admin
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky Posts question
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 11 10:36 BST (UK) »
On the subject of Sticky Posts, I posted a link to some graveyards in Cardiganshire which gives details of burials, see Cardiganshire General.   At the time I also sent a message to the Cardiganshire Moderator (Rootschat).   Am I right in assuming that I am unable to make this post 'Sticky'?   It would be useful if the link could be at the front of the list so it is obvious to those wishing to find burials.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 11 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave,

do you mean this topic ?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,546083.0.html

We don't like to "sticky" too many posts as this has a direct influence on the performance, but we are gradually combining many of the individual resource topics into one sticky topic for most welsh, scottish and irish boards. 

When we get around to Cardiganshire, your link will then be added to the sticky topic.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 11 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob, yes that's the one.   The Council have digitised their burial records for 4 Cardiganshire cemeteries including Aberystwyth and so far I've found it most useful.   hope it will be of help to others in the future.

Regards, Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire