Author Topic: Macintosh OS X Genealogy software  (Read 24972 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Macintosh OS X Genealogy software
« on: Wednesday 26 January 05 06:12 GMT (UK) »
As the macintosh is now starting to become more popular and the price is now starting to become affordable,  I was wondering how many people are using it for Genealogy.

What Genealogy software are you using?
Has anybody been using Heredis or Reunion 8? If so, are they worth the price?

http://www.myheredis.com/
http://www.leisterpro.com/

Are you using a shareware version of something else?
http://www.softlookup.com/category.asp?ID=487

If you  think Macs are two expensive, check this out. http://www.apple.com/macmini/

deadants

Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Jocie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Macintosh OS X Genealogy software
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 January 05 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I've used Reunion and though expensive I really liked it. It is very user friendly and gives a very good clear picture of family relationships. I only wish it was made for a PC. (The macintosh actually belongs to another family member)
Hope this helps
Jo
LANCASTER - London Kent Sussex Croydon
CLEMMANS - London Kent Sussex
ROCHE - London
WARE - Kent
SPENCER - Kent
NEWNHAM - Sussex
FISHER - London Norfolk
DENNINGTON - London
MONTAGUE - Kent

Any census lookups are Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 January 05 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply jocie. I also use Reunion 8, and must say it has very easy to use interface. After playing around with legacy for a while on a PC, I realy appreciated Reunions Charting and report features. Also another package my cousin is using on her PC is Family TreeMaker 2005. It  will only let you publish your web pages to Ancestry.com, which I think is a bit restrictive. 

By the lack of replies, it  makes me wonder if any mac users look in the technical forum. There must be quite a lot of people using Macs for genealogy as Companies like Leister Productions would not exists. Obviously the difference in price reflects the ratio of PC to Mac user base. Hopefully with the increase in Mac popularity and their cheaper machines like the newly announced Mac mini, this may make prices of software come down.

I would really like to hear from any one  who has used Heredis or any other package for that matter, and make a comment on the  likes and dislikes. 

deadants
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 June 06 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Deadant!

I now use Reunion 8 and only recently wert over to it after years using GEDitCOM.

I wont say a word against GEDitCOM because it has been very reliable and has done almost everything I knew to ask of it but I wanted to move up to something more OS X ish and after looking at the various offerings chose Reunion. I am not unhappy with it, quite the converse, but there are odds and ends it would be nice if it could do ;-)

Colin
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline pipkim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 June 06 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Deadant,

I'm using Heredis macx.2. I have used macs for years, well since 1991 and have a rather upgraded G4 and have been using Heredis on it since March 06. I have nothing else to compare it with, but have found it quite user friendly. Any exports have gone into other peoples software easily.

I've only recently been using it in anger, putting photographs and census images onto it (I do put the usual reference to who provided the census and hope it doesn't go against copyright rules, although it's only for personal use).

My biggest gripe is that I would like to undo the last command but there does not seem a good way of doing it. So I save often and make sure I have a backup. The other thing on my wish list would be, being able to show the tree on the screen and select the people I want to export.

All in all, I thought the price was reasonable and the software gets better as I get to know it. I haven't used the reports yet, but the statistics pages are interesting.

Pipkim  :)

I like the prices of Apples new laptops, if I had some spare cash I wouldn't mind one of them!!!  ;D
Cheshire - Shustoke, Atherstone, Nuneaton, Birmingham
Morgan - Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester, Birmingham (Morjeanstern - France, Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester)
Quinn/Quin - Ireland, Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham
Bailey/Health/Andrews - Birmingham, (Stepney briefly), Smethwick, Bristol
Thomas/Keen - Oxfordshire, Westminster
Hooker - Odiham, Romsey, IofW, Basingstoke, London St Geo Sq

Census information is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Online Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 June 06 23:41 BST (UK) »
Another Reunion 8 user here.  It's the only programme I've ever used so I can't compare it to others, but it does everything I want.

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 June 06 07:59 BST (UK) »
Here's another one I found on Apples web site but I haven't tried it.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/home_learning/genealogypro.html

Offline emarbe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 June 06 09:20 BST (UK) »
I've been using Macs for 20 years and think they are the bees knees and always used Reunion on OS 9 but with OS X I've tried Geditcom (ok but a bit fiddly unless you want to do programming) and I am now trying MacFamilyTree which is a very graphical programme but lacks a major item, reports, although according to their forum this matter is being addressed sometime this year. So far I have found this to be an excellent piece of software in spite of the limitations and it can be found here:
www.onlymac.de.
The site will probably come up in German but you just have to click on one of the flags on the left.

Mike

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline miss marple

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 June 06 13:28 BST (UK) »
Another satisfied Reunion 8 user. 

Jane