Author Topic: Macintosh OS X Genealogy software  (Read 24943 times)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
Re: Macintosh OS X Genealogy software
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 June 06 10:15 BST (UK) »
I am using Reunion on my Mac, also!  I find it excellent, as I am gradually learning how to use it and what all the little tricks are.  But I don't have anything to compare it with.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 October 06 17:48 BST (UK) »
A new Mac genealogy Program it requires OS X 10.4 or above but a demo is available from

http://web.mac.com/keithswilson/iWeb/Site/iFamilyForTiger.html

Offline purlin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 18:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm using Mac Family Tree V. 4.3.3

Initially i found it a bit tiring to load images and documents.  now, a few months down the line i can find my way around ok.
I wonder if any of you out there have used the Burn Now facility.  I tried a burn to a dvd, not really knowing what the result would be.  But I expected that dvd player would take over and the chats etc would be there and interactive.  In fact the dvd image had to be double clicked open.  The image files had to be d/clicked to open.  there was a gedcom file that opened up with geditcom and was interactive.  However,  all the images that i had painstakingly loaded were not available.

i just wonder how you guys are recording your trees etc.  Will you be saving to dvd or just printing off.  Does your software offer any better options than Family Tree?
Crosbie, Crosby, Black, Woods, Johnstone, Kelly, Howatt, McMillan, Wauchope Scott, Smith, Gibbons, Roberts, Hildred, Jones, Hughes. Curran, Palmer. Hughes, Jones, Wilcox, wilbraham, owen
Liverpool, Dumfriesshire, Kirkudbrightshire, Cheshire, Flintshire, llanrwst, trefriw, Lincolnshire, America, Canada, New Zealand.

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 October 07 07:53 BST (UK) »
Another Reunion 8 user here, I've tried various others and Reunion is certainly the best one I've come across.

And I <3 my Mac  ;D

Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline StaffordAli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 April 08 13:15 BST (UK) »
Im using Mac Family tree v5.1.3 and its fantastic. Best software i have used for my tree.  :)
Ackland, Skelland, Rothwell, Evanson,Trainor, Connah

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 April 08 19:43 BST (UK) »
I am using MacFamilyTree.  I much prefer FTM (a 1995 version!), but I only use it for when I'm on the go eg. at the library looking something up and need to look at the tree.  My other computer is a desktop, this one is a macbook.  I did try the other programs but this if the only one which allowed you to use it for free (you aren't allowed to save the file though, but as I only use it for reference, I don't need to).

Andrew

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 September 08 19:45 BST (UK) »
My reunion 9 is excellent and the support from the authors is exemplary!

I'd reccommend it to anyone!

Colin
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline jaylay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 September 08 22:28 BST (UK) »
I second that - I'm also using Reunion 9 and find it brilliant - very intuitive to use and wonderful support from the company (Leisterpro) when I've had any problems figuring anything out.  Well worth the money in my opinion!
Jaylay
KELLY - Antrim
HUGHES - Armagh
LEYDEN - Ahamlish, Sligo/Down/Belfast
MAGUIRE/MCGUIRE - Ardglass, Co. Down
HUGGARD - Wexford/Kerry
O'REILLY - Dublin/Cavan
BARNES - Dublin
HAZELTON - NI
MCCAMBRIDGE - Antrim

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 19 September 08 22:30 BST (UK) »
Those who are using Reunion 9....did you previously have Reunion 8?  I've got 8 at the moment, very very happy with it, but would consider upgrading if there are advantages.  How would you compare the two?

Cheers
Prue  :)