Author Topic: Low Sprint Ghyll.  (Read 4623 times)

Offline zilkens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Low Sprint Ghyll.
« on: Thursday 07 August 08 23:47 BST (UK) »
Could anyone please help with any history regarding -
                 Low Sprint Ghyll,
                 Fell End,
                 Ravenstonedale
         Now Cumbria (CA17 4LP)

The adjoining barn doesn't appear to have been originally built as a barn, it has dressed window and door lintels and a normal width studded oak door. Also there are quie a few yew trees close to it which seems to have a "church" feel

Thank you, Ken.
Staveley. Maunder. Richardson. Stewart. Ballantine. Wilton. Henwood

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Low Sprint Ghyll.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 August 08 00:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken,

Welcome to rootschat.

What an interesting question. Is Low Sprint Ghyll the name of a house or farm? What time period are you interested in? Have you located the place on an old (or recent) map? You obviously have some ideas that the barn was originally built for a different purpose - can you tell us more?

If you google "fell end" ravenstonedale, you get a number of hits. You might want to trawl through to see if there is anyone you can contact about the place, perhaps the local church may be able to put you in contact with a knowledgeable local.

Looks like a lovely place.  ;D

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 August 08 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ken
Kirkby Stephen has a very active Historical Society and I am sure someone there will be able to help.  The library in KS wil be able to put you in touch, or the church as Ruskie suggested.  I cannot find Fell End, Ravenstonedale, on my map and googling the post code brings up Fell End off the A683 south of KS - on the way to Sedbergh.  Quite a distance from Ravenstonedale village but obviously in the postal area.
A "gyll" is usually a spring or water course of some sort.  My sister in law lives near KS and I shall see her next week so if you need more info do let me know.  She will certainly know the Historical Soc. lady - I have met her myslef but cannnot recall the name!
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 August 08 09:31 BST (UK) »
I have now found Sprintgill on an old map (copy of the first OS 1 inch).   Just south of Harter Fell.   No houses shown then.  Lovely area.
Oh, by some curious piece of serendipity my sister in law has just rung.  She knows the house perfectly well.  Its nearest neighbours are High Sprint Ghyll and a chapel - possibly Methodist?  The chapel is on the main road and you turn off at that point to the two houses.  Could it have been the minister's house?
I will send you a personal messgae with the name and phone number of the KS Historical Soc lady.
Andrea

Offline zilkens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 August 08 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
Thats the place you have it spot on, and thanks for the telephone number. I'm away most of today but will ring asap.
I rent the cottage but my landlord has no interest whatsoever in things historical. It has been suggested that the cottage was built in the mid 1600s and even if that isn't quite spot on the place must have some history.
This past month the owner of High Sprint Gill just up the road has been over from Switzerland on holiday but I only managed to speak to him once. He lived at High Sprint for many years and has all the history of that cottage, and he has promised to look through his records when he gets home (left this morning I think).
He thought that the barn had been originally intended to be a house, but for some reason didn't turn out that way. I wondered if it hadn't been the manse for the chapel that you mention.If the Methodists have manses that is.
My ancestors (Staveley) lived in the area from Cautley through to Dent all through the 1800s so wouldn't it be great to discover that they had lived here at some time ?
The Ravenstonedale area goes as far as the Rawthey bridge about a mile down the road towards Sedbergh. And yes the views are brilliant, looking out to Wild Boar Fell.
I do have the book "The History and Traditions of Ravenstonedale" by Rev. W. Nicholls, but there isn't a lot in it about this part.
Ken.
Staveley. Maunder. Richardson. Stewart. Ballantine. Wilton. Henwood

Offline vanessar

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi just been interested in your post. i am researching my husbands family history and his 4 times great grandfather James Hunter was born there his parents William and Margaret farmed there. There is hunters at spint gill going back to end of the 1600s, but i've yet to make a positive connection on williams parents etc.  Vanessa