Author Topic: REDMAYNE or REDPATH; “Raised, by monks, in WEXFORD”; post 1825  (Read 3631 times)

Offline rprfryer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
REDMAYNE or REDPATH; “Raised, by monks, in WEXFORD”; post 1825
« on: Saturday 09 August 08 07:39 BST (UK) »
Redmayne family lore holds that my maternal great great grandfather was “raised, by monks, in Wexford”.

As the “resolution” of this information is, obviously, minimal, I would appreciate your help amplifying it, “knitting the quilt” eventually learning “chapter and verse” about this individual, his immediate family, his ancestors, and his descendants.

The previous best candidate for my maternal great great grandfather, Thomas Redmayne, solicitor and, possibly, barrister, of the Rolls Chambers, 89 Chancery Lane, Holborn, London, Middlesex, England, was born, in Marylebone, London, Middlesex, England, about 1826.

Recently, however, I found the contradictory information, detailed in the attached file, from the Saturday, December 14, 1867 issue (Issue 523) of the Manchester Times.

The circumstances of the little boy, described therein, correlate well with the few known facts of the life of my maternal great grandfather, also Thomas Redmayne, labourer, cartman, and hay and corn merchant of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England, who was born, about 1859, in Camden Town, Middlesex, England.

However, these same circumstances change the current best candidate for my maternal great great grandfather to T. A. Redpath, who is mentioned as the unmarried father of the little boy.

He may have been related to Reverend Robert Redpath, a Presbyterian Minister and Secretary to the General Body of Dissenting Ministers of the Three Denominations, of 12 College Place, Camden Town, Middlesex, England, post 1832, who is known to have had a son named Thomas.

Consequently, there is a possibility that the earlier education of T. A. Redpath was religious.

There also remains the possibility that the mother of the little boy may have been a close relative of Thomas Redmayne, solicitor.

Hopefully, individuals with the surname Redpath and, especially, Redmayne were not too numerous in Wexford.

Also, I assume that some of the records stored in the Irish Public Records Office, located in the Western block of the Four Courts building, in Dublin, destroyed, by the explosion and resulting fire, on June 30, 1922, would have been useful to me.

Thank you, very much, in advance, for any information that you are able to provide.

Regards, R. Paul R.
FRYER of Wellington, Shropshire; Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire

REDMAYNE of Benwell, Northumberland; Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland; Gateshead-on-Tyne, Durham; Roker, Sunderland, Durham; Brathay Hall, Lancashire; Camden Town, Middlesex; Kentish Town, Middlesex; Ingleton, Yorkshire; Giggleswick, Yorkshire

BRYON of Birmingham, Warwickshire

HICKMAN of Birmingham, Warwickshire

LOWDON of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland; County Durham; Alston, Cumberland

GRIFFITHS; Bilston,Staffordshire