Author Topic: Who Am I?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline whoami?

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Who Am I?
« on: Sunday 10 August 08 14:28 BST (UK) »
 Hello,

Can any help identify the person in this picture or give me any idea what regiment, date etc the picture could be.  It has long been a family mystery, the picutre was found with other pictures many years ago when clearing out a house on my mothers side (the name being Sinclair) along with letters written to someone with the name Rothwell.  Now Rothwell is my farther's name.  So we have always wondered if there was some communication between the Sinclair's and Rothwell's long before my parents met and then married.  Any info would be good to find out.  I do have the file in higher quality if it would help that I can email.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Who Am I?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 August 08 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
A very nice photo!
The first thing I can tell you is that one of the medals he's wearing is very distinctive, the star can only be one thing.
They're the Queens Egypt Medal and Khedive's Star for service in Egypt and/or Sudan in the 1880s.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/egypt_1882.htm
http://www.britishempire.co.uk/media/cigarettecards/medals/cigarettemedal27.htm

This would date the photo to 1880s or 1890s, or just possibly a little later but less likely.

To help you ID the regiment, ideally we're going to need a close-up high-res scan of the badge on his glengarry. The more detail we can see the better the chance of an ID. Or failing that, I'll PM you an email address and you can email it to me.

Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 August 08 18:37 BST (UK) »
The glengarry badge looks as if it has a Britannia on it. Any connections with Norfolk?

Ken

Offline whoami?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 August 08 15:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, it has certainly started me going in the right direction.  Now you have identified the medals I have looked them up on the web and they do look like the Queens Egypt Medal and Khedive's Star.

As far as I know there is no connection to Norfolk but then I don't really know much about the picture.

Neil1821 - if you let me know your email address I'll gladly email you a higher res picture.

I have since found out the rifles crossed on the sleeve are for a qualified marksman and the I think possibly the 1 cheveron is for 4 years good conduct.  If anyone can confirm this it would be great.

Thanks again for the help.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 August 08 17:44 BST (UK) »
The chevron are Good Conduct Badges, and it was one for 2 years; two for 6 years; 3 for 12 years; 4 for 18 years. I believe you took them off when you were promoted to Corporal.

Ken

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 August 08 18:17 BST (UK) »
The glengarry badge looks as if it has a Britannia on it. Any connections with Norfolk

Eagle eyes Ken!  :)
I can see what you mean, the problem is that the Norfolk Regt weren't in Egypt or Sudan. The dark coloured facings also go against it being the Norfolks I'd say as they had white facings from 1881 to 1905 and yellow after that.

Having said that, I have no better thoughts just yet.  :P
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals