Author Topic: Mauger  (Read 16790 times)

Offline tara harding

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mauger
« on: Tuesday 12 August 08 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

I wonder if anyone can give me a little direction, I am trying to find out some details for my grandfathers mother. Her name was Elizabeth Martha Mauger, she was born in St Martins Guernsey in 1882. I have found her on a 1901 census in England where I knew she had moved to and later married my great grandfather Frederick J Brown. I am unable to find any details of that marriage and wonder if they married in Guernsey?

I think that Elizabeth's father was a Nicolas Mauger as I have found her on the Guernsey census 1891, on this form Elizabeth lived with her grandmother Patty Mauger and I am assuming her father who is also on there. Am not sure how I can confirm this and how I can find out who Elizabeth's mother was. So many questions I know, I apologize.

Any guidance gratefully received

Thanks

Tara

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mauger
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara  and Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I am not really able to give you any direction really, just wondered how common the name Mauger is, as I have a dear friend in her 80's now who was born in Jersey and that was her name. She moved to NZ as a young married woman and now lives in Aus.

Good luck with your search

:) mare

Offline tara harding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have a feeling Mauger is a fairly common name in Guernsey.

I have been told by my mum that we do have relatives in Australia am unsure where though. My grandfather sadly passed away a few years ago, wish i'd started looking into our family tree whilst he was still alive.

Tara

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 13:56 BST (UK) »
I think many of us have that regret Tara ...sadly 

Hopefully you will get lots of help from others on Rootschat

Offline tara harding

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mauger / Brehaut
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 17:11 BST (UK) »
Am wondering if Brehaut was the maiden name of my Great Grandmothers mother?? We have found the name and address of a relative still living in Guernsey in an old address book.

Will keep searching ???

Offline Tim Wheeler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 August 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara

I came across your message completely by chance, but I though I should reply to tell you a little about Liz Brown (nee Mauger). Liz Mauger is my grandmothers mother, and Frederick J Brown my grandmothers father. I think that means that your grandfather Brown is my grandmother brother!

I have not had time to complete the Mauger family tree properly but I know that there were a series of Nicholas Maugers that can be traced back for 4 or 5 generations of Guernsey fishermen. I am not near to my files at the moment, but I think your grandfather Brown may have died in WW1 at Gallipoli and if so, then I have his war medals. I also have the Brown / Mauger family photos although my scans are too big to attach here.  I do not know how this website works, but please feel free to get in touch with me if you wish to share any Mauger research.

Best wishes
Tim

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 August 08 19:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Tim

Tara should get an email notification of your message just as you will with this one.... she doesn't appear to have been on line since 14 August. You will be able to send her a personal message after a couple of postings also.

Coincidently I came to send an email to my Mauger friend this morning... she is 82 today 30 Aug...when I got the notification of your reply.

Best of luck with the tracing .... we all need these little moments of chance

Offline shilo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 August 08 04:07 BST (UK) »
hello,
I haven't being doing my Mauger family tree for long but what I have found out that the name Mauger is a very common name in the channel islands, my family is mostly from Guernsey and some of us have migrated to Australia and New Zealand, also Tim the five  generation of Nicolas Maugers you speak of sound like my relatives so there could be a connection between us all. would love to compare notes with you all
regards 
Jackie :D
Mauger, Le Pelley, Tapp, Molloy, Stephenson, Fogden,
Lawson, McInnes

Offline Les de B

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 August 08 04:33 BST (UK) »
Maybe a little time before your question, but there could be a link. I've copied/pasted this from my own notes;

"Daughter Julia BELIN married Charles MAUGER b.abt 1815 at Guernsey Island (son of Nicholas MAUGER Captain Royal Navy). They were married on 9/3/1838, at Holy Trinity Church, Guilford, by her father. At the time Charles MAUGER was a Lieutenant in the East Indian Company, having joined in 1833."

Julia was the daughter of my gg grandfather's first marriage. Both Julia and Charles died in India, though they did return to Guersney between their marriage and deaths.

Les
de Belin, Swindail, Willcock, Williams, Moore, Watts, Searjeant, Watson, McCready, Reid, Spink, de Lancey, Van Cortland, and of course, Smith!