Author Topic: Hyslops, Drapers of Sheffield  (Read 6858 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Hyslops, Drapers of Sheffield
« on: Tuesday 12 August 08 17:20 BST (UK) »
Just on the off chance someone is investigating HYSLOPs in Sheffield I thought I would post up this thread.

It’s a long story, but I have been investigating the HYSLOP family burial plot at Lochrutton Church, Kirkcudbrightshire, Dumfries & Galloway.

I have gone quite far back with my HYSLOP family but there is a branch who were sons of James HYSLOP (b abt 1771). Specifically John HYSLOP (b abt 1822).

I have found John, his wife Margaret and his brother Alexander on the C1851 living at 69 West Street, Sheffield with servants. It looks like these brothers had migrated with their work as drapers. Alexander was back living in Scotland on the family farm at Nether-Barr by C1861.

John HYSLOP died in Sheffield in September 1860, and was either buried or remembered on a grave in Lochrutton Church Yard.

Has anyone come across this HYSLOP family in Sheffield?

Tracey

Offline Tuppie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Arnold Ridge Lee
    • View Profile
Re: Hyslops, Drapers of Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hello.

These burials at the General Cemetery, Cemetery Rd Sheffield appear to be part of the family.
Section/Grave
U40 20/09/1853,  John HYSLOP 12 d., Infant 69, West Street, Convulsions John & Margaret Hyslop   Draper
U40 15/09/1853,  Margaret HYSLOP, 34 Wife of John Hyslop, 69, West Street   Diarrhoea         

Tuppie
LEE, ROSE, Mosborough/Eckington<br />TREWEEK, HARDWICK.Cornwall/Derbyshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
www.sheffieldindexers.com

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 01:32 BST (UK) »
Two more burials in the same grave:

U40  21 Sep 1860 27 Sep 1860 John Hyslop 38 Draper West Field Terrace
U40 27 Jan 1861  30 Jan 1861 John Hyslop 4m Son of John Hyslop, deceased Brook Hill
[grave/date of death/date of burial/name/age/description/address]

..and there are also:

U18 26 Sep 1881 30 Sep 1881 Alexander Hyslop 70 Gentlemen 8 Pomona Street   
U18 13 May 1891 16 May 1891 Ann Hyslop 70 Widow 273 Solly Street   

All these burials are in the unconsecrated (non-conformist) part of the cemetery.

Hugh
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 August 08 16:12 BST (UK) »
This is wonderful stuff Dalum & Tuppie.

Sorry I haven't replied until now but I was sorting out the family relationships.

It doesnt look like John & Margaret Hyslop had any children who survived. And I havent pinned down John Hyslop's second wife, not if they had any more children. This is my next line of searching.

Alexander Hyslop was brother to John. After Alexander died, another two brothers were visiting with his wife Ann. Ann and Alexander did not have children.

And this has answered my question in so much that John Hyslop was buried in Sheffield and had a stone laid in Lochrutton by his father/brother.

Do you know if these are just lair records or would there have been a headstone?

Many many thanks!!

Tracey

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 August 08 18:14 BST (UK) »
"lair records"  ??? :)

These are from the transcriptions of the burial registers. Someone else may be able to say if there is a gravestone.

This cemetery has an excellent website: http://www.gencem.org/resources.html.

If you scroll down and click 'plot owners' you can search for these two graves (click on 'search' first and the search windows appear).

This will tell you that there are three more burials in grave U18. Here are 2 of them (I haven't spotted the fifth).

U18 26 Jun 1900 28 Jun 1900 May Tomlinson 11m D. of Edwin Tomlinson, forger 254 Springvale Road
U18 06 Jan 1907 09 Jan 1907 William Tomlinson 80 Scissor forger 40 Michael Rd   

From the reference numbers William TOMLINSON was the last person buried in this grave.

Hugh
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bluepenguin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 January 09 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Hyslop late of Corsock, Dumfries, married in 1856 in Sheffield my great great Aunt Anne Marples. They lived in Sheffield for the rest of their lives and are buried in the General Cemetery Sheffield in a family plot with Anne's sister Emma, her Husband William Tomlinson and their baby granddaughter who died in 1900 as a baby. This is plot U18, plot U16 is also held by the family of Tomlinson, where 3 further Tomlinsons are buried. There are stones on both plots, let me know if you would like a transcription or more info.
I also have census info for Alexander for the years up to his death (1851, 61, 71 and 81) haven't found him in 1841 yet have you?
tomlinson sheffield.hopkins warwickshire,and birmingham

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 January 09 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Blue Penguin. I may have got Alexanders confused as I had him moving back to Scotland!?! But if he didnt move it explains why he isnt mentioned on the Hyslop family plot.

I'll go have a search and report back as its a wee while since I looked up the Hyslops. I think I had him in the 1841 census, so I shall go and check to make sure I'm right.

I would live a transcription of his grave!

Many Thanks!! :)

Tracey

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 January 09 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I really am confusing myself as there were a lot of brothers..... but I think Ive caught up with myself now.

I HAVE found Alexander in the 1841 Census. It was brother William who was found both sides of the border at different times.

In 1841 Alexander is living at Nether Barr with his parents and siblings, aged 28, in Kirkcudbrightshire. and is listed as a 'Land Surveyor'

Hope this helps.

Tx

Offline bluepenguin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 21:31 GMT (UK) »
thanks for reply.first must say ive checked ann marples married alexander hyslop 26 june 1856 at queen st presbyterian chapel sheffield.he states his father as james hyslop(deceased)she as william marples also deceased.ann was my gt gt gt aunt,on my previous message i was one generation out.another thing i checked today was census details 1851 alexander was in sheffield and on 1861he was here as well with ann.however 1871 i felt they were visiting his old mum in scotland.the alexander was stated as 39 but instinct tells me it should be 59...perhaps the hand writing was very bad and got transcribed wrongly.by 1881 alexander and ann were living on pomona st sheffield which is very near the general cemetery where they are buried..what do you think about the visit home in1871,but he still came back to sheffield.if you still want i will send the grave details next time  hope to hear soon 
tomlinson sheffield.hopkins warwickshire,and birmingham