Author Topic: Hyslops, Drapers of Sheffield  (Read 6853 times)

Offline *sparkle*

• I has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hyslops, Drapers of Sheffield
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I have had a look for Alexander in 1871, and yes he is back at the family farm Nether Barr with Ann. Who knows whether it was for a visit or stayed a couple of years!? The Hyslops liked to trave but seemed to remain a close knit family, so I don't know if we can ever find out. I think the age is trannscribed wrongly.

I would still love details of the grave.

Many thanks

Tracey

Offline bluepenguin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 19:34 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply...here is the cemetery info....Sheffield general cemetery unconsecrated section       plot u16.
in loving memory of Edwin beloved husband of Lilly tomlinson who departed this life December 14 1936 aged 71 years.
also Lilly tomlinson beloved wife of the above who died November 11 1944 aged 75 years.
also their eldest son William Edward tomlinson beloved husband of Doris creswick tomlinson who died February 15 1977 aged 86 years.

Plot U18
In Affectionate remembrance of Alexander Hyslop late of Carsick, Dumfries Scotland who departed this life September 26th 1881 aged 70 years.
Also Ann Hyslop wife of the above who departed this life May 13th 1891 aged 70 years._Thy will be done
Also Emma Beloved wife of William Tomlinson who died November 3rd 1895 aged 68 years
Also May infant daughter of Edwin and Lilian Tomlinson who died June 26th 1900 aged 11 months
Also William Tomlinson husband of the above who died January 6th 1907 aged 80 years
*the Carsick on the gravestone is probably a miss spelling of Corsock by the stone mason
hope this is ok will be intouch with more thoughts and questions soon
Fran
tomlinson sheffield.hopkins warwickshire,and birmingham

Offline bluepenguin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 19:57 GMT (UK) »
tracey..just to elaborate on my previous message about the graves...alexander married ann marples my gt gt gt aunt.they are both buried with anns sister emma,my great great grandmother and her husband william tomlinson. also in the grave is their baby granddaughter.she was the baby of the other couple in plot u16!
u16 has two of my great grandparents lilly and edwin tomlinson..my great uncle will is with them but his wife doris is with her family on the other side of the city!!  a little strange for acouple married over 50 years.
may i ask even though alexander is only a relative by marriage i am still interested,does the hyslop family have a family plot and stone at lochrutton..when did james,alexanders fatherand mother       die,theyve got me hooked..if we ever came up to the dumfries area for a break we would know where to find them..
    fran

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 23:27 GMT (UK) »
*the Carsick on the gravestone is probably a miss spelling of Corsock by the stone mason

The mason probably had in mind the areas of Upper Hallam (western Sheffield) called Carsick and Carsick Hill.

Hugh
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bluepenguin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 08 January 09 07:56 GMT (UK) »
yes, some time ago thought the same..carsick hill rd isnt far from where ann and alexander lived..the widowed ann was living on brookhouse hill ,fulwood area on the1891 census with alexanders brothers staying or visiting...theyre not blood related,only by marriage but its very intriguing.i am still "investigating"...fran

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 January 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Bluepenguin.... I'm still laughing at Car-sick  :o

Its definitely got to be Corsock. Thanks for the transcriptions, its wonderful to tie together all the family members! All very very appreciated.

Yes the remaining family are in a large plot at Lochrutton Kirk. Its definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. I meant to go back up at Christmas but didn't find the time. Give me a shout if you need directions as it isnt the easiest place to find (have to drive up a very narrow steep track but theres space to park at the top)

When I have 5 minutes, later today I can type the transcriptions out if you would like.

I also found the census where the brothers were visiting Ann. All I can assume is that they were a close family and got on well enough to visit their sister in law. A generation previously two hyslop brothers emigrated to New York, and the brother who is my relation returned home. So it looks like they liked to travel, but kept strong links with 'home' (Bit like me!)

Tx

Offline *sparkle*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 09 January 09 00:40 GMT (UK) »
There are a group of 6 stones (only 4 of which I have pictures as I didn't realise at the time) in the Hyslop plot;

These two are the most relevant but all the hyslops are related back to a John Hyslop who died 21.2.1761 aged 72:

197:
Late James HYSLOP, Nether Barr, Kirkpatrick Durham, 6th son Robert HYSLOP died Carlisle 17.9.1857 aged 32. Son John HYSLOP died Sheffield 22.9.1860 aged 38.

198:
Alexander HYSLOP late in Carswadda died Kirkland of Terregles 12.4.1814 in his 84th year, wife Elspeth AFFLECK died there 15.9.1806 in her 58th year, their only son James died Nether Barr 22.11.1844 in his 73rd year. Wife Margaret HYSLOP died Nether Barr, Corsock 15.4.1873 in her 87th year, their second son David died Nether Barr, Kirkpatrick Durham 31.12.1853 in his 40th year.

So basically; father to Alexander, and John is James HYSLOP who died 1844. James had six sons with his wife Margaret; David, William, Alexander, John. Thomas and Robert.

Father of James is Alexander HYSLOP who died 1814 Carswadda. James was the only son, but on another stone there is two daughters, Agnes and Isabella.

I have father of Alexander as brother to my branch of Hyslops, John Hyslop b 1720 Charles Hyslop and Thomas Hyslop b 1729 ; they are all sons of John HYSLOP b 1689

Tx