Author Topic: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire  (Read 28124 times)

Offline dabet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Searchr,

Yes I have looked at those sites you mentioned, haven't got all the info from Trove as yet as there's quite a bit there.  I got the info for John (Morley) William's birth from the actual image at BMD registers.co.uk RG4/Piece 1641/Folio 10) but that was the only Markwell on that site. A bit of extra info, Eliza, who mar William Jennings, is my paternal g g'mother. 
I was told that Alfred (son of Samuel) owned Markwell Fisheries but haven't been able to confirm that as yet.  It may have been him or perhaps one of his sons.
I have been searching Lincs to the Past for Bartholomew born 1774 Horncastle but haven't had any luck as yet.  I'm thinking that be may have been chr non-conformist also and those records aren't online there. 

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 January 12 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I've tried Lincs to the Past again, with minor successes. However, I just found Harriett Dickinson on family search using search Harriet Dickinson Lincoln England birth 1815 - 25. It came up in England and Wales Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8), with baptism 7 Apr 1822 Wainfleet, parents John and Milred Dickinson and record set RG_1940.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
As Dabet said, John was there on family search in those non-conformist records.
I've looked at Lincs to the Past again, and found that the marriages in Wainfleet All Saints Par/1/9 marriages 1837 - 1907 aren't online yet. However, mi lincolnshiremarriages and Wendy Parkinson's page have transcripts of them.
There were some things there I knew previously about from other sites e.g. the marriages of Bartholomew & Sarah's Hannah, Thomas and Samuel, plus various Dickinson marriages.
There were also some new things e.g. Bartholomew and Sarah's Elizabeth's 3rd marriage (after Zachariah Atkin and Joseph Gibson) to Thomas Scupholm 28 Oct 1858 in Croft, Lincoln. In the Dickinson's it had a marriage that could be of Harriet Dickinson's sister, Mary Ann (Marianne?) and one of someone who could be another sister, Elizabeth.

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am descended from Elizabeth Markwell (Atkin).

In the 1851 census Elizabeth is noted as an annuitant.   I am wondering if those of you who are descended from her brothers might tell me if there is mention of her in their Wills.

I did find an Elizabeth Gibson in the 1871 census in Louth, an annuitant also, but states her birthplace as  Boston.  The age is not quite right either.

However, if that is the case, there is an Elizabeth Gibson dies in Louth in 1875, 63 years, which would be correct.

I am open to the idea that she married a 3rd time.  I am finding difficulty though locating her in the 1861 census under her new name of Scupholm.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 14:01 GMT (UK) »
In that era, people born before registration (and many born after) dad no cause to know their precise age, si often didn't! Regarding the surname Scupholm, have you tried Scuffham?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 01 February 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »
just a note about that marriage and spelling: In that transcription and in freebmd (vol 7a Page 1039), Elizabeth is Gipson. In the transcription on mi lincolnshiremarriages, it gives her father as Bartholomew Markwell, so does seem to be her...lots more investigating to do.

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 02 February 12 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I looked at the marriage on mi.lincolnshiremarriages, and it certainly is very convincing.

So I next wonder what happened to these people.

Surely one of them is alive in 1861.

I have found a Thomas Scupholme in Wainfleet 61 yrs born Saltfleet, innkeeper, with older children, but his wife is Mary 61 b Wainfleet.  Not our girl, or Thomas' girl either from the marriage in 1858.

Interesting mystery.  Love that.  Will keep looking.

Offline Old Moon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 02 February 12 02:20 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the next entry on mi.lincolnshiremarriages you will see Thomas Scupholm, with the same father William, marrying a Mary Godwin 6th Nov 1860 in Wainfleet.

This would explain the Thomas and 'Mary' in the 1861 census, of the innkeeper.

There is a death for Elizabeth Scupholm Sept qtr 1859 Spilsby.

So it appears that you have pointed me in the right direction, after decades, to find what happened to our Elizabeth.

I have been in touch with a descendant of Thomas, son of Joseph Gibson, in previous times.   He will be as excited as I am to find this.

No wonder I find this stuff addictive.

Anything that you think I may have, and you would like, just let me know.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 17 February 12 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Descendants of Elizabeth Markwell through her first marriage to Zechariah/ Zaccheus Atkin(s) and then their daughter Harriet's marriage to Robinson Wilkinson might be interested in some of my further explorations in Lincs to the Past, freeukgen and mi lincolnshire marriages.
e.g. I just found a removal order for Robinson Wilkinson's father John, mother Elizabeth, sister Mary Ann (3) and brother William (10 mo) 9 Apr 1827 from Croft to Friskney (Friskney Par 13/ 12/ 54: can't get at the original). Friskney baptisms Par 1/ 6 has the birth of Robinson p. 53, Harriet p. 51 and Joseph p. 68.